Southampton Overnight

Would appreciate recommendations re a hotel in late October for an overnight before our Transatlantic. Hopefully with a breakfast included.

Also, need to have transportation from Heathrow to Southampton so any ideas re this? Many thanks for any suggestions everyone has.

Trish

Some hotel options include Grand Harbour Hotel, Holiday Inn, Novotel, Premier Inn. All are essentially in walking distance to Ocean Terminal where Celebrity usually docks. You'll have to check the websites for different offers to include breakfast.

As for transportation from Heathrow to Southampton, there are many options including private transfer (Airportpickupslondon is one), train, shuttle bus.

Edited by wendychloecruiser

My Wife and I are staying in the Mercure Dolphin this Saturday prior to our Eclipse sailing on Sunday. Interesting historical fact about the Hotel is that it held Jane Austens 18th Birthday Party and is the oldest Hotel in Southampton.

Would appreciate recommendations re a hotel in late October for an overnight before our Transatlantic. Hopefully with a breakfast included.

Also, need to have transportation from Heathrow to Southampton so any ideas re this? Many thanks for any suggestions everyone has.

Trish

Have you joined the roll call for your sailing? You may find others that are looking to share transportation from Heathrow to Southampton.

Last time we sailed from Southampton we shared a car from Heathrow with 2 other couples on our cruise. There were a group of us staying in the same hotel the night before we boarded the ship so we all met for dinner and drinks.

My Wife and I are staying in the Mercure Dolphin this Saturday prior to our Eclipse sailing on Sunday. Interesting historical fact about the Hotel is that it held Jane Austens 18th Birthday Party and is the oldest Hotel in Southampton.

But will I be able to meet Mr Darcy there? [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We're staying at Hilton, which has free breakfast and cruise transport. Don't know for sure about free airport pick-up, but airport is only 4.5 miles from hotel so how much can it be? We're flying directly into Southampton on Aer Lingus from JFK to Dublin and then Southampton. Note: according to their website they're about to be rebranded as a Doubletree,which is a little more upscale so I don't know for sure if b'fast will still be included. Don't know where Lincoln CA is but you might look into Aer Lingus from CA to Dublin and then Dublin to Southampton (90 minutes)....business class was very reasonable.

Edited by Hydrokitty

We have stayed in Southampton 3 times. We stayed in the Novotel, Holiday Inn and the Premier Inn and liked them in that order also. Novotel was head and shoulders better than the other two but I think a lot of people know that and it fills up quickly. Breakfast was not included in the rates we had and I think it was around £12. McDonalds is nearby and it was fine. There is also a Starbucks in town and other places in the shopping centre which is also close.

We have used the National Express each time we have travelled from London or Heathrow. It tends to be more expensive from Heathrow. The first time we travelled with them, we got the bus at Victoria Station and the fare to Southampton bus station with one stop was £5 each. What a bargain. Luggage is stored by the driver so you don't have to lug it onto the bus. You can book on-line. We would use this company again.

We're staying at Hilton, which has free breakfast and cruise transport. Don't know for sure about free airport pick-up, but airport is only 4.5 miles from hotel so how much can it be? We're flying directly into Southampton on Aer Lingus from JFK to Dublin and then Southampton. Note: according to their website they're about to be rebranded as a Doubletree,which is a little more upscale so I don't know for sure if b'fast will still be included. Don't know where Lincoln CA is but you might look into Aer Lingus from CA to Dublin and then Dublin to Southampton (90 minutes)....business class was very reasonable.

Thank you for the info re flights. Air Canada just had its inaugural flight from Vancouver non-stop to Dublin last month. My sisters were on the flight and there was a huge Irish party at the departure gate for all the passengers. This will be very efficient for us the next time we do a TA on Eclipse. Aer Lingus is also in Star Alliance.

But will I be able to meet Mr Darcy there? [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My wife is a huge Pride and Prejudice fan as well as a lover of Historical Hotels so it was a no-brainier booking this Hotel. Hope you are enjoying your cruise.

Some hotel options include Grand Harbour Hotel, Holiday Inn, Novotel, Premier Inn. All are essentially in walking distance to Ocean Terminal where Celebrity usually docks. You'll have to check the websites for different offers to include breakfast.

As for transportation from Heathrow to Southampton, there are many options including private transfer (Airportpickupslondon is one), train, shuttle bus.

Hi Wendy,

You got the convenient location of Celebrity's berth right, but gave it the wrong name - Celebrity's terminal is City cruise terminal (aka berth 101), not Ocean terminal which belongs to Carnival brands.

You just might have re-ignited the American Civil War :D

Yes, City cruise terminal is walkable from those hotels

- esp Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker Ave, which is right by dock gate 8 and only about 200 yards from the terminal. Rooms at the back look directly onto the ship at its berth, rooms at the front look down Southampton Water. An uninspiring 1970's hotel but has just undergone a much-needed renovation. Serves probably the best breakfast in the city.

(dock gate 8 is closed in the evenings, but no worries - it's open for boarding/disembarking)

Ibis and Ibis Plus are on the same site as Novotel, opposite the rail station. Lower prices than Novotel, but more basic & lacking the frills. A little further from the cruise terminal (from these hotels dock gate 10 is easier). Ibis Budget has no dining facilities.

Premier Inn West Quay (also does a good breakfast) is midway between rail / coach stations and dock gate 8, so splits your 15-20 minute walk between two days. Like Grand Harbour, Pig in the Wall (boutique hotel) and Ennio's (another boutique) it's also very handy to the West Quay mall and city centre shops.

The Mercure Dolphin, a former coaching inn, is a Southampton landmark on the city's main street. History comes with caveats, such as variable room sizes, creaking & sloping floors and rabbit-warren corridors, but if I were a visitor to the UK I'd choose the Dolphin, or Pig in the Wall or Ennios, in preference to the other hotels mentioned, which provide good accommodation and facilities but are modern international clones. With luggage, the Dolphin needs a taxi to the cruise terminal but Pig in the Wall and Ennios are walkable.

Travelodge is another budget chain - their new (actually a re-modelled 1970's building) Travelodge Central is between city centre and cruise terminal, but they're generally rated lower than Premier Inns.

Jury's Inn (set in the middle of a traffic island) and Premier Inn City Centre (New Street) are an easy walk to the city centre but a taxi ride to the cruise terminals.

Other Holiday Inns & Travelodges are on the city outskirts, much less convenient.

Ditto the two Hiltons. The laid-back one at Chilworth is hidden amongst trees, the new one overlooking the Ageas Rose Bowl cricket ground is rather more grand and in-your-face.

The thumbnail map at the bottom of this page shows the location of City cruise terminal, bus & rail stations, and most of the hotels.

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

-----------------------------------------

Hydrokitty & Teabag mentioned flying via Dublin. Has its advantages, including total cost, easier immigration, and arrival at convenient & friendly little one-terminal Southampton airport rather than the much-more-distant zoos of Heathrow or Gatwick. A taxi from Southampton airport takes about 15 - 20 mins to the city centre, & costs £20 or less via one of the operators at the bottom of this post.

From Heathrow

- there's no direct train service. A train ticket includes a shuttlebus from Heathrow to the nearest main line station (usually Woking) where you switch to a direct train. Total cost about £40 per person. Since the service is frequent and no need to pre-book it's useful as a Plan B.

- the National Express bus service is direct from Heathrow to Southampton, no schlepping of luggage, journey time at around 2 hours is the same as shuttle+train, and tickets at around £18 are half the cost of the train. But you really do need to pre-book.

- cruise lines only offer their bus service on sailing day.

- a private transfer eg http://www.smithsforairports.com or http://www.westquaycars.com or http://www.aquacars.co.uk will cost around £90.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

The Dolphin and Star(another old but less refurbished option) in town are both walkable for the relatively fit and not overloaded with luggage.

Much of it is down hill to the gap in the wall by the pig/Grand.

(the first bit is slight up hill)

if not raining we find we have so much time in the morning a slow walk with luggage is not a problem unless raining.

Chances are there will be others at the hotel anyway and a shared large taxi will be quite economical if that is preferred .

From LHR National express or private transfer are the best options.

We always stay in the Mercure Dolphin, right in the centre of town, handy for the shops through the day, and restaurants for eating out in the evening

Lou

My spouse and I stayed at the Dolphin last fall for a night before a TA. I'm sorry to say that this hotel (at least at that time) was really run down. It had crossed far over the line from quaint to shabby. The carpet in our room was old and stained; there was virtually no light in the bathroom. There was a step inside the hallway of our room that was not marked as such (e.g, with yellow tape) that my spouse nearly killed herself on.

I think I've blocked out other depressing details, but all I can say is that, while the staff were incredibly nice, and the breakfast room and food were fine, the guest room we were in was really subpar. I love historical properties, but even the history of this place could not overcome the shabbiness.

In terms of transportation from London to Southampton: we highly recommend Smith's for Airports. They were great! Their excellent reputation on here is well-deserved.

We've stayed at the Grand Harbour a couple of times over the last three years, and we've been very happy there. The rooms are large and very clean. The breakfast is great, and their service is excellent.

We had a bad experience at the Holiday Inn a few years ago and would never stay there again.

Edited by FritzG

• 3 months later...

My husband, myself and our 16 year old granddaughter will be staying overnight prior to our Celebrity cruise in early July in Southampton. I'm searching hotels but the reviews don't lend themselves to a party of two adults and a teen that would be considered an adult by hotels. I'm reading that the beds or rooms are small at a number of places. The Novotel doesn't have A/C and that concerns me in July as I've been in England in July when it was quite hot though our granddaughter would love the modern decor! We're not concerned about having to take a taxi to the port or booking a very low budget hotel and it's just one night so any suggestions?

Thanks!

Glynda

My husband, myself and our 16 year old granddaughter will be staying overnight prior to our Celebrity cruise in early July in Southampton. I'm searching hotels but the reviews don't lend themselves to a party of two adults and a teen that would be considered an adult by hotels. I'm reading that the beds or rooms are small at a number of places. The Novotel doesn't have A/C and that concerns me in July as I've been in England in July when it was quite hot though our granddaughter would love the modern decor! We're not concerned about having to take a taxi to the port or booking a very low budget hotel and it's just one night so any suggestions?

Thanks!

Glynda

Glynda: We stayed at the Premier Inn, West Quay. They had twin rooms with a UK-king size bed and a comfortable foam sofa bed. They also have AC and a good breakfast. Bathroom is modern. Rooms are not very spacious but for one night it would work. They do have family rooms but you would have to put your granddaughter in as a child.

Edited by Alaskanb

Thanks!

Glynda

I stay at the Grand Harbour hotel, its a good hotel and within walking distance of the port, although I've only ever taken the Queen Mary 2 out of Southampton, not sure where Celebrity docks. Rooms are a good size but I think you'll need two rooms, I don't think there's any rooms at Grand Harbour or other hotels that sleep 3. The Premier Inn is a cheaper option, you'll need to take a cab to port. I've not stayed in the one in Southampton but have stayed in other Premier Inns in the UK, very good budget hotel chain.

• 3 weeks later...
Flying into Southampton is always worth looking at, flybe connects from a few places that have incoming transatlantic flights, Paris is an option for a layover/stay as an alternative to London.

Seems like only option for us - other than flying into London - is Flybe. We have never heard of this airline. What kind of planes are likely to be flown from Dublin to Southampton (if you know): props? commuter single side seating jets? Etc.