Beach tote bags

wrdtrvllr

I use a sling backpack that has a separate zipper compartment. Seapass, sunscreen & camera & a few bucks in the zipper compartment & beach coverup, flannel back tablecloth (to sit on beach), inflatable pool noodles in the big section & we're off

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I found a med. size canvas tote at Target....works for book, sunscreen, hat, etc... I'll just carry the towels outside of the bag.... I don't want or need a bag so large that I could put a small child in it! Too bulky to carry, and you end up being the "pack mule" for the rest of your group!

There is no "perfect" bag...it's what works for YOU that counts!

Are you schlepping only your own stuff or everybody's? Our family has everyone carrying their own stuff or at least something. Even a 3yo can carry toys, sunscreen and a change of clothes.

Friend's swear by their mesh Jansport backpack. Saw one the other day at Marshall's for $10.

If we're snorkeling I'll just put everything into our fin bags.

For Hawaii I bought, on island, a mesh tote bag that held everything.

DH uses a string bag. We have several...some have more compartments and more comfortable straps than others. They pack small...and the slick material is good for brushing off sand, etc. And we don't worry about them getting wet. We generally don't need too much for the pool, so we use that if we need a bag at all.

For the beach, I supplement the string bag with a tote that we have used in the past. I don't love it though, but it was super cheap and it works well enough for our purposes. I have my own cross-body bag that I will use for more of a port type excursion.

Well, perfect depends upon what you need the bag to do. Are you going to carry everyone's towels? beach toys? do you need to keep water bottles cold? do you prefer a backpack or a tote bag?

I'd say start by making a list of what YOU want from your beach to do!

Personally, I have a PERFECT pool tote. It was a gift bag from Bath & Body Works and originally contained bath products -- it's about half the size of a plastic grocery bag full of groceries. It's short and wide with about 6 fat pockets around the sides that hold sunscreen, chapstick, my reading glasses, room key ... plus one zippered pocket to hold a few dollars. If I have a drink to carry, it can go in the center section too. The center portion of the bag holds my Kindle or a book. The bag is made of canvas, but it's tough enough to rinse off, if it gets dirty. If I need to carry a towel, I usually drape it over my shoulder. This little tote is at least a decade old, and I hope it never wears out.

For the beach, sometimes I carry this bag /towel over my shoulder. Other times my husband and I share a big tote bag that can hold towels and everything. When we use a big tote bag, I tend to gather all my small stuff in a ziplock bag so it isn't lost in the big bag.

Well, perfect depends upon what you need the bag to do. Are you going to carry everyone's towels? beach toys? do you need to keep water bottles cold? do you prefer a backpack or a tote bag?

I'd say start by making a list of what YOU want from your beach to do!

Personally, I have a PERFECT pool tote. It was a gift bag from Bath & Body Works and originally contained bath products -- it's about half the size of a plastic grocery bag full of groceries. It's short and wide with about 6 fat pockets around the sides that hold sunscreen, chapstick, my reading glasses, room key ... plus one zippered pocket to hold a few dollars. If I have a drink to carry, it can go in the center section too. The center portion of the bag holds my Kindle or a book. The bag is made of canvas, but it's tough enough to rinse off, if it gets dirty. If I need to carry a towel, I usually drape it over my shoulder. This little tote is at least a decade old, and I hope it never wears out.

For the beach, sometimes I carry this bag /towel over my shoulder. Other times my husband and I share a big tote bag that can hold towels and everything. When we use a big tote bag, I tend to gather all my small stuff in a ziplock bag so it isn't lost in the big bag.

Thanks to all that have replied so far.

Mrs Pete, your bag from Bath and Body Works sounds ideal.

Prefer a tote bag just large enough to carry my stuff only (sunscreen, book, camera, IPhone, small wristlet to keep my cruise card & some cash) and most likely a towel.

I recently ordered a nice canvas one online from Lands' End but when it arrived found it too heavy. Will keep it though to use for something else.

Edited by wrdtrvllr

Are you cruising out of Florida? Many shops/walmart/target-even regular grocery stores have beach bags- I probably have 4-5 different ones- have bought several at bed,bath and beyond- I like ones with outside pockets for drinks-zippered pockets inside-and zippered close top-in case it spills over. I usually take a smaller one for pool and bigger one to go off to ports -also I am particular about the straps and feel of the bag- I hate having to carry a scratchy texture bag next to my skin all day- you can even buy your bag in ports-bought 1 I like in Cozumel years ago.

Are you cruising out of Florida? Many shops/walmart/target-even regular grocery stores have beach bags- I probably have 4-5 different ones- have bought several at bed,bath and beyond- I like ones with outside pockets for drinks-zippered pockets inside-and zippered close top-in case it spills over. I usually take a smaller one for pool and bigger one to go off to ports -also I am particular about the straps and feel of the bag- I hate having to carry a scratchy texture bag next to my skin all day- you can even buy your bag in ports-bought 1 I like in Cozumel years ago.

Yes but won't have the opportunity to go to Walmart, Target or a shopping mall since we will not be renting a car. We arrive around 8 pm the night before the cruise and will probably go straight to our hotel. If time permits the day of our cruise, heard there's a Ross near our hotel that I will try to get to.

Thanks

I'm probably an oddball but I don't like a big bag for the beach/pool and I don't like a lot of pockets on my beach/pool bag.

A lot of times I use a Whole Foods resusable tote bag...years ago they had a series of them with food designs and I really liked the style, so I have 3 or 4 different ones. Not sure if they still make them, to be honest. They're great to keep in the car as the need arises and also, as I discovered, as a tote bag for the beach/pool. They pack small/flat, are strong and roomy...smooth/tight night fabric.

I also use my Longchamp tote bags. Longchamp has a line of nylon bags, not the thin "le pliage" fabric, but a thicker/denser nylon fabric, that I have found are really great. I have 3 sizes in black - I use them all the time for traveling. They fold flat and pack easily.

I don't do a lot of beach things but my daybag on vacation is either my crossbody purse or the tote I've used as a personal item on the airplane. I have lots of totes & a backpack I use, depending on the type of trip. Timbuk2 is my favorite for vacations, but I also use a LeSportsac tote if I'm not carrying anything heavy (thin web straps can dig into my shoulder with too much weight in the bag)

[we do always carry nylon packable shopping bags too - mainly because most of our vacations involve renting & grocery shopping, though grocery stores & drug stores are also my favorite places for souvenirs - Our favorite bags are from Monoprix, but I have a couple from IKEA as well. All super cheap and lightweight nylon. If I needed something to take to the pool on the ship, they would work well.]

I also use my Longchamp tote bags. Longchamp has a line of nylon bags, not the thin "le pliage" fabric, but a thicker/denser nylon fabric, that I have found are really great. I have 3 sizes in black - I use them all the time for traveling. They fold flat and pack easily.

I love the Longchamp bags, too. I especially appreciate my backpack because it is pickpocket proof. The part you wear against your back has a locking mechanism so that if someone picks up the flap it is pulled tight and they can't get the bag open.

I think it's the only bag i'm taking on our upcoming cruise.