NYC hotel recommendations?

AP1016

Hi all - Anyone have a NYC hotel recommendation for night before sailing? We are driving, and usually just leave that morning as it's only a 3 hr drive but we thought we'd spend the day before in the city to do something different this time around. Thanks in advance!

Hi all - Anyone have a NYC hotel recommendation for night before sailing? We are driving, and usually just leave that morning as it's only a 3 hr drive but we thought we'd spend the day before in the city to do something different this time around. Thanks in advance!

Check out the East Coast departures board for hotel info. Lots of good stuff.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

As long as you are driving you can really stay anywhere, i would look at pricing and see where your priorities are based on pricing. Sometimes you can get a good deal in the city. I would recommend booking a few places and keep checking back with pricing especially in the week before, we have booked rooms in NYC for over $300 and had them go down by more then half in the week prior. Do not do a pre paid room unless it is over holiday time.

Again if you are driving, you may want to check out rooms in the surrounding areas as well. Look for places close to public transport so you can park your car the day before and then take the train into the city that day to explore.

Edited by pieshops

We were on the 11/20 Breakaway sailing. The night prior to the cruise we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn - Times Square (on 42nd near Bryant Park). It was an easy drive from the Lincoln Tunnel, easy and relatively inexpensive overnight parking across the street from the hotel, a newer hotel and well located, and an easy drive to the cruise terminal the morning of departure. An unexpected bonus about its location is that after boarding the ship I realized I left my iPod in the hotel room. I called the hotel, they located it, and they held onto it until we returned the following Sunday - it was an easy drive back to the hotel after the cruise to retrieve the iPod. I would stay here again pre-cruise.

We just booked the Hilton Garden inn Ridgefield Park

70 Challenger Road, Ridgefield Park, NJ 07660

They do a park and ride to the Cruise port-for the price of parking at the port we also get a night in the hotel. I believe its about a $20 cab ride over to the city. Nice thing is we will be dropped right at the door and picked up.

They do a park and ride to the Cruise port-for the price of parking at the port we also get a night in the hotel. I believe its about a $20 cab ride over to the city. Nice thing is we will be dropped right at the door and picked up.

More like $50 to $75 for a taxi to NY City from NJ. Tolls alone are going to be close to $20.

I've had great luck with AirBnB in NYC!!

Have a great time both in the city and the cruise

sent using Forums mobile app

Many, if not most most Airbnb rentals in NY City are illegal. A new law strengthens that, and imposes large fines for illegal Airbnb rentals. Airbnb is fighting the law in court, claiming that it violates their constitutional rights.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/22/technology/new-york-passes-law-airbnb.html?_r=0

Thank you everyone, very helpful!

As was stated in the first reply to your question, post your inquiry on the East Coast Departures board. Include the exact date(s) you need the hotel room, how many people are in your party, number of rooms needed, and your approximate budget. Hotel prices in NY City can vary widely from season to season and even day to day. One thing to keep in mind is that if you want to stay in Manhattan, parking your car can be very expensive.

As was stated in the first reply to your question, post your inquiry on the East Coast Departures board. Include the exact date(s) you need the hotel room, how many people are in your party, number of rooms needed, and your approximate budget. Hotel prices in NY City can vary widely from season to season and even day to day. One thing to keep in mind is that if you want to stay in Manhattan, parking your car can be very expensive.

Yes, I anticipate the costs. Thank you!

Many, if not most most Airbnb rentals in NY City are illegal. A new law strengthens that, and imposes large fines for illegal Airbnb rentals. Airbnb is fighting the law in court, claiming that it violates their constitutional rights.

And until the issue gets resolved, I would be very wary of using Airbnb here: http://nypost.com/2016/11/27/airbnb-horror-story-should-scare-you-out-of-renting-in-nyc/

We stayed here as well, was an excellent option. Parking included for the week, they had a towncar take us right to the port and picked us up right there and took us back to the hotel after the sailing. Clean, good breakfast that was included. Our car battery was dead from leaving the lights on, and the hotel maintenance team jump started it for us. I will definitely stay here again when we sail out of NYC in the future.

Hi, what month are you going? I am going to list I couple I have stayed at for cruises/concerts that I like.

For cruises I normally stay at the Comfort Inn Square West on 44th/8th I believe. Always easy having them take bags from you and it is not far from cruise terminal around 48th/12th- end up being a quick cab ride (one time when I was younger I actuallywalked to pier in morning! There is a decent diner around the corner so I usually get a late night dinner there after doing something in NYC .

Next to Penn Station/MSG I like the Fairfield Inn Pennstation- if you are taking the train this is less than a block away. Its only a few years old and I like it.

A third area sometimes I stayed in was a Marriott and also now the Lexington Hotel at around 48th/Lexington- its a quieter area but with several nice hotels.

Hi, what month are you going? I am going to list I couple I have stayed at for cruises/concerts that I like.

For cruises I normally stay at the Comfort Inn Square West on 44th/8th I believe. Always easy having them take bags from you and it is not far from cruise terminal around 48th/12th- end up being a quick cab ride (one time when I was younger I actuallywalked to pier in morning! There is a decent diner around the corner so I usually get a late night dinner there after doing something in NYC .

Next to Penn Station/MSG I like the Fairfield Inn Pennstation- if you are taking the train this is less than a block away. Its only a few years old and I like it.

A third area sometimes I stayed in was a Marriott and also now the Lexington Hotel at around 48th/Lexington- its a quieter area but with several nice hotels.

Cruise leaves Feb 19th - thank you!

Our nephew, wife & 2 children, ages 5 & 7, drove down from Cambridge, MA the Sunday before Thanksgiving, and rented a huge suite for two nights for $140/night at the Salisbury Hotel, W. 57 & 6th Ave.. He said it was "shabby but clean, exactly like the online reviews.” Price for size of room "was ridiculous," and they would stay there again.

This might be a contender for anyone who isn't bringing a car, and wants a central location for sightseeing. Though it was funny, because I warned him to stay away from the Fifth Avenue & E. 57th Street area (Trump Tower). His hotel was one avenue away, but he didn't have any traffic problem arriving or leaving.

Cruise leaves Feb 19th - thank you!

I just did a quick search on a hotel website and there are plenty of good deals to be had in NY in February.

Ink 48, a Kimpton Hotel is literally a block from the cruise terminal has rooms starting less than $250. It is located in the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood and there are a lot of restaurants and bars if that is your thing. You also wouldn't be too far from the theaters if you wanted to catch a show.

I agree with the person that suggested the Conrad, it is one of my favorite places to stay in NYC. If you are driving it is easy to get to as it is just off the West Side Highway, which is called West Street at that point. It is also showing less than $250 for the night of the 18th. Great restaurants nearby there as well. Not much in the way of nightlife though.