FCO - all in Terminal 5 for departing Rome to USA

jkloni

When leaving Rome and flying directly to the USA everything is completed in TERMINAL 5.

I had read that we needed to go to Terminal 3 to clear customs, etc. then go to Terminal 5 for dropping luggage and flight transfer. Even the email from United said to allow extra time for the requirement of using 2 terminals for departure.

Not the case this week. ALL IN TERMINAL 5!

Took 1 hour to go thru all steps and including transfer by bus to gate.

We allowed for 3 hours, arriving at the airport at 7:50am for our 10:50am flight. Had driver drop us off at Terminal 3, though he said he thought we should go to T5. Use shuttle to get to T5, arriving at T5 at 810am, was at gate at 910am.

Also of note, we traveled the day AFTER debarkation, so there were probably less departing than debarkation day. There were 3 ships debarking Sept 17th, Serenade, Equinox, and Epic. That day, we may have needed the extra time.

Kathy

I think you may be confused.

Terminal 5 is the STARTING point for flights direct to the USA. This is where you check in, drop off luggage, and clear security.

Then you are bussed to another terminal where your gate is located; usually (but not always) Terminal 3.

This is the way it has been at FCO for at least the last 4-5 years.

As noted above, this has been the case for years.

Three hours has always been the recommended time, recent changes in security (as of July 2014) for flights headed to the States makes that the absolute minimum you should consider. You could get lucky, as the OP did, or you could get stuck in a very long line of folks trying to locate and turn on all of their electronics at the security check.

See the statement from the Secretary of Homeland Security here: http://www.dhs.gov/news/2014/07/02/statement-secretary-johnson

And a New York Times article describing the new security measures here: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/08/us/new-tsa-rules-for-electronics-on-flights-bound-for-us.html?_r=0

Thanks to both of you. I may have been confused about the FCO terminals. Just wanted to state that all starts at T5.

Now that I've done it, it won't be confusing again.

DH and I agreed that we would always fly back on a day that is not debarkation day.

Kathy

Thanks to both of you. I may have been confused about the FCO terminals. Just wanted to state that all starts at T5.

Now that I've done it, it won't be confusing again.

DH and I agreed that we would always fly back on a day that is not debarkation day.

Kathy

Thats what we do too…… we have been lucky in that most of our cruises have ended right before a weekend so we tack on 1 or 2 extra nights at the end. Our upcoming trip in April/May 2015 we will get off Fri morning and fly out Sat at 11:15 am getting home LATE Sat. night. That gives dh Sunday to "recover" LOL It takes me 2 weeks to get back to normal…… :eek:

I just avoid the T5 circus by doing a little flight to a Schengen airport for my flights home ;) I have to do connections anyway, so I'd rather do it someplace pleasant than T5. T3E Duty Free shopping at CDG is one way to do it, a glass of good German beer or Franken wine or Reisling at FRA, duty-free at AMS….

I like to visit different airports - it's another part of my trip that I prefer to make enjoyable and interesting. Just like I like to visit the grocery stores/markets where I travel.

I've not ever found FCO to be that much better or worse than any other major airport.

I agree.

And I would much rather deal with FCO in the beginning of my trip than go thru CDG (Paris) !!!!!!! And FRA (Frankfurt) airport was weird - like stepping back into the 1950's !! Havent flown thru AMS yet. MAD (Madrid) wasnt bad but wasnt impressive either.

I much prefer to get on in Rome (or the other cities I have flown back from) and fly straight to USA.

As a side note: the WORST airport ever was San Juan Puerto Rico ! What a zoo !!!!!

Edited by texancruzer

I agree.

And I would much rather deal with FCO in the beginning of my trip than go thru CDG (Paris) !!!!!!! And FRA (Frankfurt) airport was weird - like stepping back into the 1950's !! Havent flown thru AMS yet. MAD (Madrid) wasnt bad but wasnt impressive either.

I much prefer to get on in Rome (or the other cities I have flown back from) and fly straight to USA.

As a side note: the WORST airport ever was San Juan Puerto Rico ! What a zoo !!!!!

Like I said, it's just me. I actually enjoy going through CDG. It's the one way I can do a non-stop to my now-home airport from Europe (until next Spring, when AMS kicks in). Now that all the construction and stuff is done, it's not a bother to me at all. But, I fly Delta/AF, so I just play with T3E/F/G. I've spent the night at the Sheraton there a few times - it's very nice and allows me to do a quickie into Paris for dinner. The new T3E M pier is really fun - good duty-free shopping, and an amazing AF lounge to spend time pre-flight!!!

I was less than impressed with FCO, coming and going. The duty-free was ho-hum and the Alitalia lounge was tiny and seemed rather dark.

Like I said, it's just me. I actually enjoy going through CDG. It's the one way I can do a non-stop to my now-home airport from Europe (until next Spring, when AMS kicks in). Now that all the construction and stuff is done, it's not a bother to me at all. But, I fly Delta/AF, so I just play with T3E/F/G. I've spent the night at the Sheraton there a few times - it's very nice and allows me to do a quickie into Paris for dinner. The new T3E M pier is really fun - good duty-free shopping, and an amazing AF lounge to spend time pre-flight!!!

I was less than impressed with FCO, coming and going. The duty-free was ho-hum and the Alitalia lounge was tiny and seemed rather dark.

I fly Delta/AF also and I agree with you that the T3 area is really nice now.

If I can get a direct flight from FCO to my home airport, that would still be my first choice, though. Second choice is to go through CDG. I never thought I'd say that; but it's come a long way in recent years from the confusing, dark, maze-like place it used to be.

CDG is my favorite airport for transfer in Europe these days. Of course, from Cincinnati the only direct flight to Europe is on Delta's overnight to Paris so that always is the best choice! :)

Now that is interesting. It would rate among our least favorites (especially if you have to get from Terminal 2A to 2F in a hurry) and most web sites that rate European airports have CDG at the bottom or near the bottom of the heap. Another airport that we do not like at all is Frankfurt. Our own favorite would be Schiphol and Munich is now pretty nice (although we do not go through that place very often).

Hank

Now that is interesting. It would rate among our least favorites (especially if you have to get from Terminal 2A to 2F in a hurry) and most web sites that rate European airports have CDG at the bottom or near the bottom of the heap. Another airport that we do not like at all is Frankfurt. Our own favorite would be Schiphol and Munich is now pretty nice (although we do not go through that place very often).

Hank

AMS is pretty good. I don't think there are many European airports that on the way there, an under 1 hour connection would be possible...but it is doable in AMS (but wouldn't recommend it). With the heavy security checks we like a bit more on return using it as a connection. CDG...with the long walks through the terminal and a more convoluted immigration I wouldn't be comfortable with less than 90 and that is pressing it. On way back though 90 minutes is doable.

Since we live in a Delta hub, it's usually a choice between AMS or CDG. We prefer AMS, but don't hate CDG. Both are much more preferable than a JFK.

Edited by buggins0402

Well, I am going to try something new next spring…… we fly American Airlines from Corpus Christi to Dallas to Charlotte NC to Rome. Return the same way.

I didn't even know Charlotte NC had an international airport !!! But we're gonna try it ;) Anything to avoid Newark (United) or Atlanta (Delta) or Chicago which seems to be the big 3 for us to get to Dallas/Houston and home……

And….. our kids are joining us this trip from Florida so we will meet in Charlotte which will be convenient……

Anyway - just a heads up that this is an alternative jumping off point from the US and back again :D

Ugh; I feel lucky that I have so many options for direct connections. Having to go through 3 flights to get somewhere would not be fun. I can see where some people get to Rome and are too exhausted to do anything else that day!

Thats what i have to do 3 flights to get to Rome. But since the Seattle to Amsterdam is a 10hr non stop thats during the night i can usually get some sleep that helps.

Ugh; I feel lucky that I have so many options for direct connections. Having to go through 3 flights to get somewhere would not be fun. I can see where some people get to Rome and are too exhausted to do anything else that day!

Unfortunately because we live "at the end of the road" in Corpus Christi we HAVE to go thru Houston or Dallas to get anywhere. And the really bad part is if there is any flight problems it just adds to the mess. We have United, American and Southwest that fly outta here…. so choices are limited there too.

But it has its upside too…… I am NOT a big city girl and I love living out on my island. So I guess everything has it trade off……

And luckily my adrenalin is pumping so hard when I get to Rome I don't seem to have a problem hitting the road at full speed ahead :eek: I do, however, sleep like a dead person the first night :D

Well, I am going to try something new next spring…… we fly American Airlines from Corpus Christi to Dallas to Charlotte NC to Rome. Return the same way.

I didn't even know Charlotte NC had an international airport !!! But we're gonna try it ;) Anything to avoid Newark (United) or Atlanta (Delta) or Chicago which seems to be the big 3 for us to get to Dallas/Houston and home……

And….. our kids are joining us this trip from Florida so we will meet in Charlotte which will be convenient……

Anyway - just a heads up that this is an alternative jumping off point from the US and back again :D

We are actually doing the same in May Waco to Dallas to Charlotte to Rome then return the same way. My SIL and her friend are flying Cleveland to Charlotte and meeting us there and then on to Rome. All with AA/USair

We are actually doing the same in May Waco to Dallas to Charlotte to Rome then return the same way. My SIL and her friend are flying Cleveland to Charlotte and meeting us there and then on to Rome. All with AA/USair

I will come back and let you know how it worked out. We return from our trip on May 9th.

My DIL flew in/out of Charlotte and said it was pretty nice……. but then she did not fly international. Will see how it goes. All 4 of us are applying for Global Entry pass so hopefully that will make things a breeze coming back in.