Duty Free on QM2 - having a laugh?

Griller

I can hardly believe that even Cunard are perpetrating such a scam - I bought a bottle of Jack Daniels on QM2 last month - $42. This is a product I was buying as a gift and I am not familiar with the price of it on land.

Anyway I got home with it and found it cost $39 plus 7% tax in my local supermarket, I thought it seems it wasn't a great deal on QM2 but at least it was comparable.

Now this week I am on a Princess ship in the Caribbean and was in Grand Cayman day before yesterday - the identical product there is $19.50!

It seems unfair of Cunard to be so expensive. Now you might argue that we all have OBC to use up somehow on Cunard but even so it leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

I did also notice that the Chef's Table on Cunard is $250 per person, its $95 on Princess and very nicely done.

I haven't done it on Cunard but $250? Is it THAT much better?

Anyway with the pricing of just about everything on Cunard being ridiculous and no other way to use the OBC I have decided not to book a world cruise sector on QE this January, however much OBC they were offering.

I know no one will miss me but I'll spend my cash on Croisieres De France instead. A non-Carnival line, and rather good value and excellent quality.

It's actually tax free not duty free . Cunard actually still pays the duty for the liquor products.

That is actually a good reminder. I tend to research at home the things I like and prices, then when on a cruise, I check the on board price and duty free. I think ahead and plan ahead.

On board credit can be much wiser spent on things like t shirts and refrigerator magnets. :eek:

By by then.

David

Giller - I'm still scratching my head on the logic of this one.

You were considering a World Cruise sector with Cunard but will not book now because you are upset about the $22.50 price difference in a bottle of JD? I'm not sure you'll find many Cunard passengers are really bothered by the price difference, given what the average cruise fare would be.

I hope you will enjoy MV Horizon on Croisiere de France.

I can hardly believe that even Cunard are perpetrating such a scam - I bought a bottle of Jack Daniels on QM2 last month - $42. This is a product I was buying as a gift and I am not familiar with the price of it on land.

Anyway I got home with it and found it cost $39 plus 7% tax in my local supermarket, I thought it seems it wasn't a great deal on QM2 but at least it was comparable.

Now this week I am on a Princess ship in the Caribbean and was in Grand Cayman day before yesterday - the identical product there is $19.50!

It seems unfair of Cunard to be so expensive. Now you might argue that we all have OBC to use up somehow on Cunard but even so it leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

I did also notice that the Chef's Table on Cunard is $250 per person, its $95 on Princess and very nicely done.

Anyway with the pricing of just about everything on Cunard being ridiculous and no other way to use the OBC I have decided not to book a world cruise sector on QE this January, however much OBC they were offering.

I know no one will miss me but I'll spend my cash on Croisieres De France instead. A non-Carnival line, and rather good value and excellent quality.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is this Chef's Table on Cunard costing $250? I've only sailed on QM2 12 times, and I don't remember reading anything about it. Thanks, - Salacia

Edited to add: I have noticed that the prices of liquor on board varies depending on the voyage, especially on Caribbean runs where the liquor can be purchased on shore (in St. Thomas, for example) at a much lower price. When the ship offers a 'price match guarantee' the on board prices are comparable - and sometimes even better. I'm no expert on comparison shopping, but I think this applies both to Cunard and Princess ships (possibly other lines as well?).

Edited by Salacia

The only place I have come across truly cheap alcohol was in the Caribbean. On St Kitts a bottle of JW George V cost $350 USD (at home it costs $600 AUD +).

I almost always find alcohol far more expensive in airports and so called tax/duty free locations than at home.

So I don't waste my time buying alcohol abroad.

The only place I have come across truly cheap alcohol was in the Caribbean. On St Kitts a bottle of JW George V cost $350 USD (at home it costs $600 AUD +).

I almost always find alcohol far more expensive in airports and so called tax/duty free locations than at home.

So I don't waste my time buying alcohol abroad.

This might be of interest:

"Price Guarantee

On all three Cunard vessels, the shop offers a price guarantee on liquor and tobacco purchases. We guarantee the shop will be cheaper than any comparable outlets - including any shops ashore during the voyage. You will need to be able to provide proof of the cheaper price from recognised retailers. Online price comparisons are not included. If you have already purchased on board the shop will refund you the difference back onto your on board account. If you have not yet purchased and have proof of the cheaper price ashore the shop will price match for you." -quoted from https://ask.cunard.com/help/mini/cunard/life-on-board/duty_free

This might be of interest:

"Price Guarantee

On all three Cunard vessels, the shop offers a price guarantee on liquor and tobacco purchases. We guarantee the shop will be cheaper than any comparable outlets - including any shops ashore during the voyage. You will need to be able to provide proof of the cheaper price from recognised retailers. Online price comparisons are not included. If you have already purchased on board the shop will refund you the difference back onto your on board account. If you have not yet purchased and have proof of the cheaper price ashore the shop will price match for you." -quoted from https://ask.cunard.com/help/mini/cunard/life-on-board/duty_free

Only if they stock the same product (they don't stock JW George V) and its worth getting clarification on what Cunard deems to be 'recognised retailers'.

I found the same recently on P&O. Bottle of Bombay Sapphire £19...its on offer at £18 in Sainsbury's at the moment. Obviously I waited till I got home and stocked up!

It's worth looking very closely at the details. Bottles sold on board tend to be 1litre whereas supermarket sales tend to be 70cl. Also on board sales are sometimes "Export Strength" 43% (or even 47%)alc as opposed to the more usual 40%alc.

Obviously these aren't hard and fast rules, just something to watch out for.

Regards, Colin.

The OP does have a point.

On QV last week we had spare OBC to spend in the final days so looked at the booze shop. Prices were a hoot - could have picked up whisky at 1/4 - 1/3 the price at the VAT-free shop beside the ship in Barcelona. You need to be looking in Norway or Sweden to see prices as bad.

As for the "Chef's Table", yes, something like that is advertised at about the $240 mark. Includes recommended wines, etc. They wanted a minimum booking of 6, maximum 12 so obviously don't expect many mugs. It didn't look anything like worth that sort of dosh, but maybe someone actually booked and enjoyed filet de unicorn, mermaid tail and white truffle burgers.

It's worth looking very closely at the details. Bottles sold on board tend to be 1litre whereas supermarket sales tend to be 70cl. Also on board sales are sometimes "Export Strength" 43% (or even 47%)alc as opposed to the more usual 40%alc.

Obviously these aren't hard and fast rules, just something to watch out for.

Regards, Colin.

It was slightly stronger on board and yes it was a litre, but it was also a litre in sainsburys although only 40%! I can remember getting two bottles on azura for £20 not so long ago!

I've checked the prices in the duty free shop on the QM2 & QV before and concluded they were no cheaper than the UK. So here's what I did: I didn't bother buying anything.

Actually, I can't be bothered with tax/duty alcohol any more but people do get very excited about it. They spend several thousand on a holiday and then get all excitable over saving themselves a fiver on 200 fags.

The OP does have a point.

On QV last week we had spare OBC to spend in the final days so looked at the booze shop. Prices were a hoot - could have picked up whisky at 1/4 - 1/3 the price at the VAT-free shop beside the ship in Barcelona. You need to be looking in Norway or Sweden to see prices as bad.

As for the "Chef's Table", yes, something like that is advertised at about the $240 mark. Includes recommended wines, etc. They wanted a minimum booking of 6, maximum 12 so obviously don't expect many mugs. It didn't look anything like worth that sort of dosh, but maybe someone actually booked and enjoyed filet de unicorn, mermaid tail and white truffle burgers.

Hi Chunky. Would you please give more information about the "Chef's Table"? Is $240 per person? I've never seen it advertised on QM2 - what have I been missing? Thanks for any information. -Salacia

Only if they stock the same product (they don't stock JW George V) and its worth getting clarification on what Cunard deems to be 'recognised retailers'.

When on a Caribbean cruise, my purchases are made in St. Thomas due to the exemptions for US citizens. Regarding "recognized retailers", QM2 does honor the price offered by certain retailers, for example prices offered by A.H. Riise. But the duty free rules are different when buying on-shore in St. Thomas as opposed to buying on board. It's complicated.

I'm fairly certain Cunard is aware of the prices offered on shore, and if the Duty Free shop doesn't adjust the prices accordingly, that just invites the question: who is the bigger punter? :D

Edited by Salacia

Tax and duty free outlets in these 'captive' locations, like airports and cruise ships, ceased being competitive with the high street many years ago. I often look but, as I know the regular, tax-paid prices, I usually walk away appalled. Besides, in this connected age it only takes a few seconds to look up regular prices.

The Med does still provide some very reasonable shopping opportunities because many of those countries have such low alcohol and tobacco taxes.

The cheapest duty free I have found anywhere in the World was at Valetta, Malta where a litre of (imported!) Soberano Spanish brandy, my favourite, for example, was just 8 Euros. Other brand name spirits were similar prices. I would like to see Cunard compete with that.

When on a Caribbean cruise, my purchases are made in St. Thomas due to the exemptions for US citizens. Regarding "recognized retailers", QM2 does honor the price offered by certain retailers, for example prices offered by A.H. Riise. But the duty free rules are different when buying on-shore in St. Thomas as opposed to buying on board. It's complicated.

I'm fairly certain Cunard is aware of the prices offered on shore, and if the Duty Free shop doesn't adjust the prices accordingly, that just invites the question: who is the bigger punter? :D

Complicated, as I suspected :) That said, I've never understood some travellers' obsession with buying alcohol on holiday. Clothing, shoes, etc, I can understand. But alcohol? Almost as odd as buying cigarettes!