Who do I tip, pre and post cruise?

no1volman

I'll be on the Carnival Fascination out of Jacksonville soon. Our tips for the cruise are prepaid already. I'm just curious if there's anyone else that typically gets tips. We plan to park in the lot across the street from the port and they'll take us over to the port (I assume with our luggage. Unless we drop it off first). I assume those guys normally get tips? How much is the typical tip? Anyone along the way typically receive tips? I just want to make sure I have the correct amount of cash on me.

I've never tipped a shuttle driver. I've always parked in the lot at the port, close and easy. You don't need to tip anyone else, but it is customary to give the porters who take your luggage about a dollar a bag. If you order room service, tip a dollar or two, depending on how much you order, to the person who delivers it. I've never done the spa so I can't comment on that. The bar people are already taken care of in the price of the drinks. You can tip people extra if you think they took especially good care of you, but it is not necessary.

For more specifics, you can ask on the Carnival board here. EM

We don't tip the shuttle either. If we take a cab, we tip the cab driver. We tip the porters $1-2 per bag.

On the ship the tips they add to your account cover the cabin attendant, waiters, ass't waiters and head waiter. Any drink you buy has the tip added into the cost.

If you use room service, $1-5 , depending on how much you order. The spa usually has the tipped added in...check to make sure before you tip again!

Some folks like to tip excursion guides....that's totally up to you and how much fun you feel you had!

That's about it!

Edited by cb at sea

the porters who handle your bag to get those on the ship- a buck a bag.

a porter after the cruise is over-- there is 3 of us and we have 4 bags-- we will tip them 10 bucks- he gets up through the customs faster and to the front of th line for taxis to get us to the airport- best 10 bucks i spend

Tip whoever you think has given you exceptional service.

I find it funny how on these boards people from non or limited tipping cultures are repeatedly lambasted for tipping "correctly" but the people from America need to ask about how and who to tip.

I have trouble with the logic of tipping a cab driver but not a shuttle driver. Yes, we always tip a shuttle driver, the length of the trip and how much he handles the luggage would effect the tip but I usually think in terms of $5 for the shuttle driver.

I was wondering if you are cruising from Australia, do you tip the porters in USD or can you do it in Australian dollars? In Australia we don't really tip, except at expensive restaurants , so this tipping thing has me so confused. So if you pre pay gratitudes you mainly just tip the porters and for room service? And whoever else you feel has given you exceptional service?

I was wondering if you are cruising from Australia, do you tip the porters in USD or can you do it in Australian dollars? In Australia we don't really tip, except at expensive restaurants , so this tipping thing has me so confused. So if you pre pay gratitudes you mainly just tip the porters and for room service? And whoever else you feel has given you exceptional service?

I normally cruise in Australia, I tip in Aus$ and in all honesty have never tipped the baggage handlers, but have also never been in my room when luggage has arrived.

I do at times tip my steward and waiter extra.

• 2 weeks later...
I have trouble with the logic of tipping a cab driver but not a shuttle driver. Yes, we always tip a shuttle driver, the length of the trip and how much he handles the luggage would effect the tip but I usually think in terms of $5 for the shuttle driver.

I agree. I am amazed at the number of people I have watched hand over their luggage to the shuttle driver to load and then unload at the end of the trip and then just walk away without even a "thank you" to the driver.

Bob

What works for us on land or sea vacations is take about 50 $1 dollar bills, no need to worry about making change. Everyone appreciates a tip,shuttle drivers,cab drivers, porters and room service. Bottom line it's your call.

In Australia we have $1 coins not notes lol, would feel weird tipping people with a coin lol, so is it best to go and get some U.S. Dollars for this?

Aloha :D

AU$1=US$0.75

Aloha :D