Has anyone cruised while experiencing morning sickness?

I really, really sympathize as I had horrible 'morning' sickness with my two sons--all day sickness, really. It was so bad that I lost 15 lbs. by my seventh month with the second son, and had to go in for intravenous treatments due to severe dehydration. With both pregnancies it quit at the 7th month. Now, I think it sounds a lot like what Princess Kate has.

I could not have enjoyed anything when it was at its worst. Definitely check with your doctor about treatments/medications. Hopefully some progress has been made. Back then, I got B-12 shots and that was it. (1969 & 1972).

The good news is that most people will greatly improve after the third month. Hoping that is the case for you.

I experienced pretty severe morning sickness that lasted for most of my waking hours. I had about 2-3 hours mid-day that were not too bad until I was at or past seven months along with both of our sons. I was prescribed Phenergan for nausea with our now 19 year old and with our now 12 year old I was given Zofran. Both medications worked very well. My OB prescribed them. While I have not experienced morning sickness while at sea, I would think that there is a medication that could help you if your Dr is comfortable prescribing it. Do you normally experience seasickness? If so, I would think it would really compound that situation. Either way I would definitely be taking ginger (pills, candy or gum or all 3:D) and saltines with me to help with nausea. No matter what get your Dr involved, they will guide you best. GOOD LUCK, may you have a wonderful cruise & best wishes for a healthy bundle of joy.

I experienced pretty severe morning sickness that lasted for most of my waking hours. I had about 2-3 hours mid-day that were not too bad until I was at or past seven months along with both of our sons. I was prescribed Phenergan for nausea with our now 19 year old and with our now 12 year old I was given Zofran. Both medications worked very well. My OB prescribed them. While I have not experienced morning sickness while at sea, I would think that there is a medication that could help you if your Dr is comfortable prescribing it. Do you normally experience seasickness? If so, I would think it would really compound that situation. Either way I would definitely be taking ginger (pills, candy or gum or all 3:D) and saltines with me to help with nausea. No matter what get your Dr involved, they will guide you best. GOOD LUCK, may you have a wonderful cruise & best wishes for a healthy bundle of joy.

I am on Zofran which seemed to help for one day but after that, I couldn't keep it down long enough to get into my system. I am having a hard time even drinking anything. It all tastes horrible. My husband is a paramedic & threatened to give me an iv if I don't keep anything down. I was very sick like this with my first son the entire pregnancy. I was hospitalized 2 times for dehydration. That was over 8 years ago & I forgot just how bad it was. It's debilitating at the moment but I refuse to let it ruin my moms trip. I don't normally get sea sickness. I guess I will have to try to eat through the nausea.

You didn't say when you would be cruising. Hopefully it is far enough away that you will be over morning sickness.

I don't think I would want to be cruising if I were still getting morning sickness. I'd cancel if it were me but only you can decide if that would be worth it. Good luck.

Ginger ale works well for me for nausea. I have also taken Phenergan and it works wonders, but do not take it unless your doc OK's it. Good Luck and keep your eye on the prize...your beautiful baby coming!!!:):)

I am experiencing awful morning sickness 24/7 right now. I'm so worried about what I will eat on the ship. I don't have an appetite for anything. I normally love food. Has anyone had morning sickness while onboard? What were you able to eat?

You really need to consult your obstetrician if your are fit to sail if this is going on 24/7. Ship movement could worsen your nausea. If you cannot keep anything down the worse case scenario would have you disembarked and taken to a land based hospital for IV fluid re-hydration.

You might also have a hard time convincing the ship's MD that your vomiting is strictly caused by your pregnancy and not by Norovirus. You could be confined to your cabin if they reasonably believe that you also might have Noro.

You didn't say when you would be cruising. Hopefully it is far enough away that you will be over morning sickness.

I don't think I would want to be cruising if I were still getting morning sickness. I'd cancel if it were me but only you can decide if that would be worth it. Good luck.

She cannot sail too far into her pregnancy as all ships require written proof from doctor stating exactly how many weeks. The ships are very strict (for good reason) about permitting woman too far into their pregnancy to sail. I think the number of weeks may vary by cruise line but probably all are in the range of around 22 weeks.

You really need to consult your obstetrician if your are fit to sail if this is going on 24/7. Ship movement could worsen your nausea. If you cannot keep anything down the worse case scenario would have you disembarked and taken to a land based hospital for IV fluid re-hydration.

You might also have a hard time convincing the ship's MD that your vomiting is strictly caused by your pregnancy and not by Norovirus. You could be confined to your cabin if they reasonably believe that you also might have Noro.

She cannot sail too far into her pregnancy as all ships require written proof from doctor stating exactly how many weeks. The ships are very strict (for good reason) about permitting woman too far into their pregnancy to sail. I think the number of weeks may vary by cruise line but probably all are in the range of around 22 weeks.

The cruise is next week. My OB already knows I am going & he knows I suffer from morning sickness. I will be 9 weeks & I've filled out all necessary paperwork with Carnival. So everything is set. I could probably cancel due to my sickness & travel insurance would cover it but my 2 boys, my mom, her husband & my MIL are all going too so they couldn't cancel because I am sick. I just can't do that to them. I'm just hoping I can find something I can tolerate while onboard.

I've been there. I'll write more tomorrow. Just about to serve dinner and DH just saw your post and told me to reply. Meanwhile- I suggest talking to your OB about a script for phenergan suppositories as well as oral meds. Just don't let anyone talk you into using the scopolamine patch! You will get through this! Lynn

Fortunately I didn't have morning sickness during my pregnancy, but I've always heard the second trimester is when that goes away so it's too bad you can't postpone til then. Before we booked, I talked with my OB-GYN who gave his full blessing. So just follow what your doctor says. Hopefully he is researching the matter for you. My big problem turned out to be losing a crown right before our preggers cruise (when I was about four months along) and the temporary kept popping off. Made it difficult to eat without being extremely careful when chewing.

In addition to phenergan suppositories (since you may not be able to keep anything down long enough for oral meds to dissolve LOL!):

Whatever food or drink works for you: bring your own supply. Don't assume the ship will have some onboard (not all lines carry ginger ale, for example). If saltines stay down, bring some. Load up on what you know will keep you from getting too hungry (which will make you feel worse).

Talk to your wait staff. If nothing on the menu appeals to you, they may know of something else that's available (maybe from a kids menu or something that can be served without a sauce, etc). I almost lost breakfast one morning when our waiter- trying to be helpful- waved a large platter of bacon in front of me. I should have told him up front that I was pregnant and odors bothered me.

Location: if the movement of the ship exacerbates your morning sickness, spend time on a lower deck, midship (hopefully you'll find a comfortable chair there and a bathroom nearby- just in case). If it's a promenade deck with access to the outside- even better. Fresh air and looking at the horizon helped me.

If all else fail, go to the ship's doctor. I delayed until I was so dehydrated that they discussed getting me off the ship. The ship's doc gave me an injection of phenergan and then oral meds to take. It worked. I still couldn't stand the smell of bacon (and many other things!), but I could at least keep food down.

We booked our cruise before we knew I was pregnant. My morning sickness (afternoon & evening sickness for me) started a few days before we left. I had never had motion sickness before, plus my OB had given me the scopolmine patch, so off we went.... I was so sick I thought I would die, then it got worse and I was afraid I wouldn't die LOL! I used to scoff at people who didn't have their sea legs and had motion sickness- not anymore! I even had a nasty reaction to the scope patch (blurry vision leading to temporary vision loss and the start of kidney failure).

I'm glad you have trip insurance- just in case. Hopefully, you'll be able to have some fun- even if it's just knowing that your family is having fun. Good luck!

In addition to phenergan suppositories (since you may not be able to keep anything down long enough for oral meds to dissolve LOL!):

Whatever food or drink works for you: bring your own supply. Don't assume the ship will have some onboard (not all lines carry ginger ale, for example). If saltines stay down, bring some. Load up on what you know will keep you from getting too hungry (which will make you feel worse).

Talk to your wait staff. If nothing on the menu appeals to you, they may know of something else that's available (maybe from a kids menu or something that can be served without a sauce, etc). I almost lost breakfast one morning when our waiter- trying to be helpful- waved a large platter of bacon in front of me. I should have told him up front that I was pregnant and odors bothered me.

Location: if the movement of the ship exacerbates your morning sickness, spend time on a lower deck, midship (hopefully you'll find a comfortable chair there and a bathroom nearby- just in case). If it's a promenade deck with access to the outside- even better. Fresh air and looking at the horizon helped me.

If all else fail, go to the ship's doctor. I delayed until I was so dehydrated that they discussed getting me off the ship. The ship's doc gave me an injection of phenergan and then oral meds to take. It worked. I still couldn't stand the smell of bacon (and many other things!), but I could at least keep food down.

We booked our cruise before we knew I was pregnant. My morning sickness (afternoon & evening sickness for me) started a few days before we left. I had never had motion sickness before, plus my OB had given me the scopolmine patch, so off we went.... I was so sick I thought I would die, then it got worse and I was afraid I wouldn't die LOL! I used to scoff at people who didn't have their sea legs and had motion sickness- not anymore! I even had a nasty reaction to the scope patch (blurry vision leading to temporary vision loss and the start of kidney failure).

I'm glad you have trip insurance- just in case. Hopefully, you'll be able to have some fun- even if it's just knowing that your family is having fun. Good luck!

We booked before I knew I was pregnant too! I spent last night in the hospital getting rehydrated. I had gotten so far behind, I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I'm hoping I can stay ahead of it now & keep forcing myself to eat & drink. For some reason, drinking is the worst. I do think smells make my gag reflex much worse. It's impossible to keep something down if I smell an unpleasant smell. My doctor has prescribed me zofran, phenergan & diclegis. Praying one of them works on the ship. I'm so glad I got insurance too just in case I need to go while onboard.

I am on Zofran which seemed to help for one day but after that, I couldn't keep it down long enough to get into my system. I am having a hard time even drinking anything. It all tastes horrible. My husband is a paramedic & threatened to give me an iv if I don't keep anything down. I was very sick like this with my first son the entire pregnancy. I was hospitalized 2 times for dehydration. That was over 8 years ago & I forgot just how bad it was. It's debilitating at the moment but I refuse to let it ruin my moms trip. I don't normally get sea sickness. I guess I will have to try to eat through the nausea.

When you take the Zofran only take a small sip of very cold water and when you start to get nauseous, put a cold can or bottle of soda pop or beer against the front of your neck or you could use an ice pack filled with ice and water. Lie down while you are doing this. This will almost instantly stop the nausea feeling and should enable you to have enough time to keep the Zofran down so that it can work. As you relax with the ice or cold can/bottle on your neck, focus on relaxing your body and slowing your breathing. It sometimes helps to count slowly to 4 as you breathe in and slowly to 4 as you breathe out. You may feel chilled while you are doing this, and it's OK to take the ice/can away for a few moments and then put it back as needed. This short term nausea remedy works for everyone no matter what type of nausea you have. Remember the goal is to allow yourself enough time for the Zofran to dissolve. It takes about 30 minutes for Zofran to kick in. If you are taking the 4mg dosage, it may be too low and you should discuss with your doctor about increasing your dosage. Typically doctors will start you on the lowest effective dosage, but it might not be enough for you - it's a very individual thing.

When you take the Zofran only take a small sip of very cold water and when you start to get nauseous, put a cold can or bottle of soda pop or beer against the front of your neck or you could use an ice pack filled with ice and water. Lie down while you are doing this. This will almost instantly stop the nausea feeling and should enable you to have enough time to keep the Zofran down so that it can work. As you relax with the ice or cold can/bottle on your neck, focus on relaxing your body and slowing your breathing. It sometimes helps to count slowly to 4 as you breathe in and slowly to 4 as you breathe out. You may feel chilled while you are doing this, and it's OK to take the ice/can away for a few moments and then put it back as needed. This short term nausea remedy works for everyone no matter what type of nausea you have. Remember the goal is to allow yourself enough time for the Zofran to dissolve. It takes about 30 minutes for Zofran to kick in. If you are taking the 4mg dosage, it may be too low and you should discuss with your doctor about increasing your dosage. Typically doctors will start you on the lowest effective dosage, but it might not be enough for you - it's a very individual thing.

What a great post.

Hopefully this will help OP as well as anyone else struggling with nausea.