Help getting new trip Insurance??

karen&roy

Since I found out Cruise care no longer covers airfare I have been searching for another insurer before my final payment date of Sept 21st. With the predicted bad winter coming up I want to make sure airfare is covered since its pretty expensive over Christmas holidays. It looks like Travel Guard Ins is the best for the price so far. Anybody have any other suggestions and reviews of travel ins companies they might have had to use??:confused:

Thanks In Advance!

Karen

Since I found out Cruise care no longer covers airfare I have been searching for another insurer before my final payment date of Sept 21st. With the predicted bad winter coming up I want to make sure airfare is covered since its pretty expensive over Christmas holidays. It looks like Travel Guard Ins is the best for the price so far. Anybody have any other suggestions and reviews of travel ins companies they might have had to use??:confused:

Thanks In Advance!

Karen

There are several sites, but I've had good luck with insuremytrip.com.

Thanks In Advance!

Karen

If you go to insuremytrip.com it will enable you to compare policies.

Edited by cruisenfever

Thanks In Advance!

Karen

I did a little research on this before purchasing mine. It seems like TravelGuard is pretty highly recommended from what I can tell. People had some good experiences with them when they did have to cancel. It's a lot more paperwork than with Cruise Care, but it seems to be worth it, so that's where i purchased mine.

I did a little research on this before purchasing mine. It seems like TravelGuard is pretty highly recommended from what I can tell. People had some good experiences with them when they did have to cancel. It's a lot more paperwork than with Cruise Care, but it seems to be worth it, so that's where i purchased mine.

+1 for TravelGuard, always use them and reasonably priced

My friend is a travel agent and she recommends CSA. We use them but have never had to file a claim. We like that we can choose to insure the trip for lower amounts, because we get it more for the emergency medical/evacuation coverage. You can purchase it online.

Thanks In Advance!

Karen

Everyone else has provided some good information.

I only want to add that you just need to be sure what coverage you're really looking for.

1. Snow storm is coming in and your flights get cancelled, roads closed, etc. Cruise ship departs as normal. You stay at home.

No insurance that I'm aware of will cover you for this.

Two options here.

Cancel For Any Reason coverage. Usually only provides 75% money back. However, you usually must cancel within 48 hours of beginning of trip.

Other option is to have passports, work closely with cruiseline, and fly to foreign port to catch up to ship. Then Trip Delay will provide some coverage.

2. Storm coming in and your flights are delayed.

Be careful here. Some policies require a minimum 4 hour delay before coverage kicks in, some policies require a 12 hour or more delay before coverage kicks in.

We use Allianz. Claims were paid within 2 weeks. Used to do a policy for each trip but now carry an annual policy.

Curious on how the annual policies work. Do you have to estimate the amount of travel you will do? Would it be a different price if you took 1 cruise vs. 6 cruises per year?

There are several sites, but I've had good luck with insuremytrip.com.

Bob (or anyone else that can help), how do you choose a cruise option on their site? I see you can enter a destination and add multiple countries to your quote. Is that how you do it? I don't specifically see one for a cruise though.

Thanks In Advance!

Karen

Hi,

I have a similar concern ...... I also have the Cruise Care, and also will be flying in Dec.

You probably already looked at the section of the board that deals with most of the insurance related questions ..... if not please look in there ..... there is so many different suggestions ...... if you have a chance ask poster 'cruiseco'

for help, that poster seems to know so much about insurance and helped us in the past.

Here is the link to the helpful section about cruise insurance:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

Bob (or anyone else that can help), how do you choose a cruise option on their site? I see you can enter a destination and add multiple countries to your quote. Is that how you do it? I don't specifically see one for a cruise though.

I've been able to use "Caribbean" for the destination.

Also, this is part of the "help" screen:

"If you are taking a cruise, select the first port of arrival as your destination".

Everyone else has provided some good information.

I only want to add that you just need to be sure what coverage you're really looking for.

1. Snow storm is coming in and your flights get cancelled, roads closed, etc. Cruise ship departs as normal. You stay at home.

No insurance that I'm aware of will cover you for this.

Two options here.

Cancel For Any Reason coverage. Usually only provides 75% money back. However, you usually must cancel within 48 hours of beginning of trip.

Other option is to have passports, work closely with cruiseline, and fly to foreign port to catch up to ship. Then Trip Delay will provide some coverage.

2. Storm coming in and your flights are delayed.

Be careful here. Some policies require a minimum 4 hour delay before coverage kicks in, some policies require a 12 hour or more delay before coverage kicks in.

Not with Cruise Care

Royal's insurance will cover you for any reason. You just don't get a refund. You get 75% toward another cruise

You have to cancel before the ship leaves, not 2 days

Curious on how the annual policies work. Do you have to estimate the amount of travel you will do? Would it be a different price if you took 1 cruise vs. 6 cruises per year?

Our policy covers us for any trip of under 45 days. It covers all travel, even trips to see the grandkids as long as the trip is costing you money. We did not have to estimate how much travel we will be doing. We have no pre-existing condition clause so everything is covered. We have $100,000 evacuation coverage plus all the other things.

Keep in mind that coverage is different in each state so what is available to us may not be available to you.

I just finished researching annual travel insurance for us. My husband and I call it "wandering in the weeds", because he does it all the time on youtube with machine shop tools and procedures; me, I'm a travel weed-wanderer.

Anyway, I found that Allianz (thank you, lakelorain) has the best coverage for the price. (Note: I am an insurance policy reader; 16 years at Blue Cross, so it's ingrained). I didn't read all the fine print, because most of it's standard, but the features I liked were:

Pre-existing conditions are covered, which is unusual

If your plan includes this coverage, you, a traveling companion or family member can have an

existing medical condition and you will still be eligible for all coverage and assistance services,

as long as:

 you purchased your plan;

 you were a U.S. resident and medically able to travel on the day you purchased the plan;

 the total cost of your trip is $10,000 per person or less; and

 all other stated terms and conditions are met.

Individual trips can be up to 45 days in length. Other coverages are 30 days maximum.

The trip interruption and cancellation benefits are more generous. Not 100%, but better than other policies. CruiseCare pays the most, but our trips include land vacations, so we need to cover more than the cruise.

We have AirMed already for $35 a month, which I will cancel after our trip next Spring. But, Allianz' annual policy for everything else sounds like a good idea to cover us for 12 months, too.

We do it this way:

We use a credit card that includes trip cancellation/disruption coverage for travel purchased with the card.

Then we have an annual policy with GeoBlue (trekker Essential) that covers Medical and Evac. for $179. This covers multiple trips. https://www.geobluetravelinsurance.com/product_overview.cfm

This is probably not a good solution if you only have one trip to insure for.

I just finished researching annual travel insurance for us. My husband and I call it "wandering in the weeds", because he does it all the time on youtube with machine shop tools and procedures; me, I'm a travel weed-wanderer.

Anyway, I found that Allianz (thank you, lakelorain) has the best coverage for the price. (Note: I am an insurance policy reader; 16 years at Blue Cross, so it's ingrained). I didn't read all the fine print, because most of it's standard, but the features I liked were:

Pre-existing conditions are covered, which is unusual

If your plan includes this coverage, you, a traveling companion or family member can have an

existing medical condition and you will still be eligible for all coverage and assistance services,

as long as:

 you purchased your plan;

 you were a U.S. resident and medically able to travel on the day you purchased the plan;

 the total cost of your trip is $10,000 per person or less; and

 all other stated terms and conditions are met.

Individual trips can be up to 45 days in length. Other coverages are 30 days maximum.

The trip interruption and cancellation benefits are more generous. Not 100%, but better than other policies. CruiseCare pays the most, but our trips include land vacations, so we need to cover more than the cruise.

We have AirMed already for $35 a month, which I will cancel after our trip next Spring. But, Allianz' annual policy for everything else sounds like a good idea to cover us for 12 months, too.

Your comments are exactly why we went with Allianz. I'm a policy reader too. Retired Human Resources Director. One note, you may have noticed, is that the policy is non-renewable. We get a new policy every year. Price has stayed the same.

Hopefully we'll never need to use the policy.

Toni

Guest maddycat
Your comments are exactly why we went with Allianz. I'm a policy reader too. Retired Human Resources Director. One note, you may have noticed, is that the policy is non-renewable. We get a new policy every year. Price has stayed the same.

Hopefully we'll never need to use the policy.

Toni

How much is the medical coverage?

Edited by maddycat