Gratuities-can we remove them and pay cash and if so what currency is appreciated

Hello

Our first time on RCI and we are wondering if it is possible (as we did on our on Holland America cruise) to remove the daily gratuities and pay cash at the end of our short sampler cruise? If it is possible, what currency is appreciated by the staff.

Thankyou

Nell

Hello

Our first time on RCI and we are wondering if it is possible (as we did on our on Holland America cruise) to remove the daily gratuities and pay cash at the end of our short sampler cruise? If it is possible, what currency is appreciated by the staff.

Thankyou

Nell

Yes you can

Any currency note your in Aus$ so Aus$ is fine or US$ or Euro, I saw one crew member pay in a shop on our last cruise and he had at least 6 different currencies.

You will probably be abused for asking, just ignore them.

When chosing the currency you Need to Keep in mind how the crew can use the currency.

As the ships currency is the USD this would be usually the first choice.

Any other currency they Need to Exchange before using it on the ship and as the crew stem from many different countries, many of them will send home Money to their families through the ship. They might lose out in the process of exchanging into USD due to Exchange rates, so USD is #1.

As there´s always an exemption to the rule, I´ve been on TA´s, where i.e. US to Europe, where I gave my cabin attendant part of his tip in Euro before hitting the first European port. He was happy about it, as he didn´t had to waist his free time at the crew Purser to get Euro before going ashore.

Hello

Thankyou

Nell

This post is 3 and 1/2 hrs old,and you are still alive:confused:,the tip police must have either (a) had a big day or (2) asleep at the wheel.

Be prepared to wake up and receive an absolute caning:):)

Oh by the way,do what ever you feel best.

Have a great cruise.

Hello

Thankyou

Nell

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Just make sure you do not prepay gratuities, because it is harder to remove those.

I'm not going to attack for this as people can do what they want, BUT I will gently point out that the gratuities also cover people who work behind the scenes (especially in food services), so when they are removed those people are penalized. Yes, in theory servers who receive cash are supposed to turn it in so that it can be distributed as the auto-grats would, but even though they could face termination if caught not turning it in I'm sure they've figured out ways to get around it.

You can always do as you wish. Just pointing out something that many people don't know.

I'm not going to attack for this as people can do what they want, BUT I will gently point out that the gratuities also cover people who work behind the scenes (especially in food services), so when they are removed those people are penalized. Yes, in theory servers who receive cash are supposed to turn it in so that it can be distributed as the auto-grats would, but even though they could face termination if caught not turning it in I'm sure they've figured out ways to get around it.

You can always do as you wish. Just pointing out something that many people don't know.

Good points,and truth be known,your statement about handing in tips is absolute fact,or a certain percentage is not handed in.

You are to be congratulated the clearest and honest statement i have read about this subject,and handled with decorum and sensitivity.:):)

But i will qualify my statements by asking a question,why,oh why are the staff so happy,when they are on an Australian or New Zealand cruise and there are no auto-grats.

Edited by mrs and mrs

Good points,and truth be known,your statement about handing in tips is absolute fact,or a certain percentage is not handed in.

You are to be congratulated the clearest and honest statement i have read about this subject,and handled with decorum and sensitivity.:):)

without starting a new thread I also wanted to remove the prepaid tips. Currently they are in the "balance" but not paid.

I asked TA to remove them as we have been given a $250.00 OBC and I would prefer the tips come out of the OBC. I do not intend on spending $250.00 on the ship. He has yet to remove them but there is plenty of time as sail date is January 2017.

I checked and it appears that OBC can be used for gratuities.

I understand this is somewhat off OP subject.

I checked and it appears that OBC can be used for gratuities.

I understand this is somewhat off OP subject.

Yes, OBC is simply a credit to your account. It'll show up with a minus sign and your charges, any charges on the ship, will be deducted from OBC until the OBC is completely used. That means that automatic tips are deducted, drinks, pictures, specialty restaurants, anything you buy in the shops, shore excursions, etc. (anything charged on the Seapass), will all be deducted from OBC until it's used up. So definitely get those pre-paid tips removed and do the automatic tips on board. That way it will be paid by OBC.

This post is 3 and 1/2 hrs old,and you are still alive:confused:,the tip police must have either (a) had a big day or (2) asleep at the wheel.

Be prepared to wake up and receive an absolute caning:):)

Oh by the way,do what ever you feel best.

Have a great cruise.

And yet there have already been three of the vultures circling, and warning about the "tip police" just waiting (and not recognizing that they are part of the problem).

I don't know if the behind the scenes food service are covered by tips are not.It is not our job to pay their people.Maybe they should take some of the profits from the BS BOGO SALES AND PAY THE BEHIND THE SCENES PEOPLE.Again you pay them and we will tip the one's that serve us.:mad: :confused:

But i will qualify my statements by asking a question,why,oh why are the staff so happy,when they are on an Australian or New Zealand cruise and there are no auto-grats.

Do you say this because you believe all the Aussie's have their auto-grats removed because there are indeed auto-grats on Australia/New Zealand cruises.

Shady to remove them IMO. Just sayin. Why not just leave them on and not worry about tipping then at all? And if someone delivers above and beyond service, reward them at the end. That's the way it's supposed to work.

Shady to remove them IMO. Just sayin. Why not just leave them on and not worry about tipping then at all? And if someone delivers above and beyond service, reward them at the end. That's the way it's supposed to work.

It's not shady. Tipping is optional. Many people want to tip those who serve them directly. Royal makes this rule. Right now, some people auto tip, some tip as they wish, and some don't tip. Royal approves of this. It works for them. That's all we need to know.

How kind of you! I bet you're a gem to wait on! I'm sure glad they let the staff know who opts out.... And it is your job to pay the staff, you do it every time you book a cruise. TIPS. To insure prompt service

You can't "insure" prompt service. If this phrase was true it would have to be teps, to ensure prompt service.

It's not shady. Tipping is optional. Many people want to tip those who serve them directly. Royal makes this rule. Right now, some people auto tip, some tip as they wish, and some don't tip. Royal approves of this. It works for them. That's all we need to know.

If you see tipping as optional in a "serving or service" based industry, you are clearly not from the USA?

The percentage of people who remove there auto grats is around 1-4% depending on the sailing. There is indeed a list printed off of people who have opted out, and the staff is made aware. I've seen it actually, having known someone who works on a RCCL ship.

So yes, it IS shady because those tips are part of people's wage whom you will never even come into contact with on the ship. By removing them you take away part of their wage.

The whole reasoning behind doing the auto grats was because of people like yourself who stiffed their staff on "voluntary" tips that they depend on.

It is a way to be able to pay the staff more.. And not just the customer facing staff.

Edited by Powersboyee2

Also a first time cruiser. We have not prepaid gratuities as prefer to tip as we go along. We have opted though for my time dining, will automatically add tips or can they be removed?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app