Tickledblue does a Trip Report - Norwegian Fjords on Serenade

Thanks so much for a fabulous trip report! I love seeing places I can put on my bucket list, it's a long way from country South Australia but having seen and loved the NZ Sounds, it seems like the Norwegian Fjords may be somewhere to aim for!

Thank you for the review!

You are both very welcome. The NZ Sounds were outstanding as well, but Geiranger had them beat. Everywhere you look there were waterfalls. I'd like to go back to Australia though and do a cruise around that 'island'. :D

Great trip report. I really enjoyed reading it. I would like to take this cruise. Maybe, just maybe next summer (2018). Your pictures were excellent as well. One thing I'm a little curious about is, did you see much of the fjords themselves as you cruised? I did notice the photos of the waterfalls but wanted to know if you were able to see much of the rest of the fjords.

Great trip report. I really enjoyed reading it. I would like to take this cruise. Maybe, just maybe next summer (2018). Your pictures were excellent as well. One thing I'm a little curious about is, did you see much of the fjords themselves as you cruised? I did notice the photos of the waterfalls but wanted to know if you were able to see much of the rest of the fjords.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

We saw Geiranger fjord since we sailed right into and out of it. Cruising in was during early morning hours but cruising out was during late afternoon and it took a while to get out. We also took a boat ride into Lysefjord. While cruising the coast, you didn't see land much off of Norway, just like any ocean cruise.

It is a very different perspective to see the mountains (side of the fjord) so close to your cruise ship. We encountered this only in Geiranger, Norway and Milford/Dusky sounds of New Zealand.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

We saw Geiranger fjord since we sailed right into and out of it. Cruising in was during early morning hours but cruising out was during late afternoon and it took a while to get out. We also took a boat ride into Lysefjord. While cruising the coast, you didn't see land much off of Norway, just like any ocean cruise.

It is a very different perspective to see the mountains (side of the fjord) so close to your cruise ship. We encountered this only in Geiranger, Norway and Milford/Dusky sounds of New Zealand.

Thank you so much for answering my question.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Another thank you for your review. I was seriously considering this cruise as the Fjords are on my bucket list, but timing didn't work out. Hopefully next year if it's offered. Looking forward to more!

Princess does a 7 day Norwegian Fjords cruise out of Southampton, England with 4 ports in Norway.

I did this cruise in 2010 and will be going again in July 2018.

Loved the trip report!!!

We are doing the Serenade next August on a B2B2B including the TA back to Boston.

PLEASE post your Baltics trip report!!

And BTW - you sooooo had me at King Crab!!! I was crushed - the picture you posted is NOT King Crab!!!

It is QUEEN Crab. But I would still be there to scoff it up! Yum yum!

Thanks again!

Loved the trip report!!!

We are doing the Serenade next August on a B2B2B including the TA back to Boston.

PLEASE post your Baltics trip report!!

And BTW - you sooooo had me at King Crab!!! I was crushed - the picture you posted is NOT King Crab!!!

It is QUEEN Crab. But I would still be there to scoff it up! Yum yum!

Thanks again!

I may do the Baltics trip report -- I'm non-committal because this trip report took quite a bit of time and with it being summer, I'm quite busy IRL.

I was totally unaware of the existence of queen crab -- this forum continues to inform the ignorant. As with all things I don't know about, Google comes to the rescue: http://www.kgbanswers.com/whats-the-difference-between-king-and-queen-crab-definition-of-queen-crab-please/21891951 The sign above the crab legs just said "crab claw". They were tasty.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Joe,

Thank you so much for your great review, which I will read detailed at a later time again.

I am sailing the Norwegian Fjords in roughly 5 weeks (again), and I need some anticipation. :D

Thanks for the compliment. It is a bit long and took me a while to write it. I'm not much of a writer.

Envious of you for going there -- I'm sure we'll do it again in a few years, it would be in our top 5 cruises.

Hello, Hello, Hello!

Thank you very much for all the shout outs and compliments. I certainly appreciate all the kind words you have bestowed on my trip reports in your wonderful trip report.

So sorry I am late to the party as I typically drift away from these boards during the first half of the year since I have to prepare for the summer time road trip but then I come back to CC in the second half of the year for the cruise research/planning for the year end cruise (think whale migration pattern).

I was just scrolling up and down the RCI board and I saw your screen name and I remembered talking to you in the past so I figured I will click on to see what you have posted. I’m totally surprised by all the positive references here. More than happy to share my format with you and anyone else that wants to use it – mi format es su format.

I have enjoyed reading your trip report and looking at the pictures - especially the waterfall. To make things even more interesting, I have the same Canon SX60 camera and a Samsung phone as well, but mine is the older Note 5 (the previous version that does NOT explode). Think we maybe be related somehow...

Speaking on behalf of many people that have also enjoyed reading this trip report, you should try and start a new one to talk about the second part of the B2B Baltic cruise. Obviously we know you made it home safely but there were some loose ends which you discussed but leaving the rest of hanging:

1 – Did you have another meal at a chain restaurant the rest of the cruise? If so, where and what did you eat?

2 – Were the flight attendants more attractive on the flight back home?

3 – Did you do laundry on the second leg of the cruise to wash your tighty-whities or you packed enough for 2 cruises?

4 – You mentioned looking for a way to draw people to your trip report – next time reference more rap music with Sir Mix A lot (I like them BIG). That always draws a crowd. If you can incorporate this with #2 above, that would entice more viewership…

5 – So what did you guys do at Copenhagen on the turn around day between cruises? You mentioned you guys want to explore the area with option 2 to get off the ship so that is another lingering area that needs answeing.

I know you are busy in preparing for your next cruise in 2 months to be writing a new report now. However, it would be great if you can write one because as you said, this region and the ship is under represented here on CC with everybody and their cousin (and cheapo dads) writing about Oasis/Freedom ships in the Caribbean. Maybe you will inspire someone to write one after they read your info and so the torch can be passed. Fletch didn’t write his report until almost a year after the fact so you have plenty of time.

Anyway, thanks again for all the positive shout outs. Have a great cruise on the Anthem in couple months. I still need to go on the Quantum class ship one day but the timing and itinerary hasn’t worked out yet. I am looking forward to read more about your future cruise adventures.

Cheers,

Harry

Thanks for the compliment. It is a bit long and took me a while to write it. I'm not much of a writer.

Envious of you for going there -- I'm sure we'll do it again in a few years, it would be in our top 5 cruises.

My last time in Norway has been in 2012, or in 2013, if you count the cruise call in Oslo.

I am so happy being in my "second home" again after over 4 years break. ☺ I understand everyone counting Norway as one of the top 5 cruise regions.

Especially for Alesund I need some inspiration since this port will be new for me, your review helps on that.

Let's see if we also dick at Geiranger at the new pier.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello, Hello, Hello!

Thank you very much for all the shout outs and compliments. I certainly appreciate all the kind words you have bestowed on my trip reports in your wonderful trip report.

So sorry I am late to the party as I typically drift away from these boards during the first half of the year since I have to prepare for the summer time road trip but then I come back to CC in the second half of the year for the cruise research/planning for the year end cruise (think whale migration pattern).

I was just scrolling up and down the RCI board and I saw your screen name and I remembered talking to you in the past so I figured I will click on to see what you have posted. I’m totally surprised by all the positive references here. More than happy to share my format with you and anyone else that wants to use it – mi format es su format.

I have enjoyed reading your trip report and looking at the pictures - especially the waterfall. To make things even more interesting, I have the same Canon SX60 camera and a Samsung phone as well, but mine is the older Note 5 (the previous version that does NOT explode). Think we maybe be related somehow...

Speaking on behalf of many people that have also enjoyed reading this trip report, you should try and start a new one to talk about the second part of the B2B Baltic cruise. Obviously we know you made it home safely but there were some loose ends which you discussed but leaving the rest of hanging:

1 – Did you have another meal at a chain restaurant the rest of the cruise? If so, where and what did you eat?

2 – Were the flight attendants more attractive on the flight back home?

3 – Did you do laundry on the second leg of the cruise to wash your tighty-whities or you packed enough for 2 cruises?

4 – You mentioned looking for a way to draw people to your trip report – next time reference more rap music with Sir Mix A lot (I like them BIG). That always draws a crowd. If you can incorporate this with #2 above, that would entice more viewership…

5 – So what did you guys do at Copenhagen on the turn around day between cruises? You mentioned you guys want to explore the area with option 2 to get off the ship so that is another lingering area that needs answeing.

I know you are busy in preparing for your next cruise in 2 months to be writing a new report now. However, it would be great if you can write one because as you said, this region and the ship is under represented here on CC with everybody and their cousin (and cheapo dads) writing about Oasis/Freedom ships in the Caribbean. Maybe you will inspire someone to write one after they read your info and so the torch can be passed. Fletch didn’t write his report until almost a year after the fact so you have plenty of time.

Anyway, thanks again for all the positive shout outs. Have a great cruise on the Anthem in couple months. I still need to go on the Quantum class ship one day but the timing and itinerary hasn’t worked out yet. I am looking forward to read more about your future cruise adventures.

Cheers,

Harry

Thanks for your positive comments, I feel like the student receiving praise from his teacher. So glad you didn't mind me copying your format, I thought it was great -- not a review, but a journal. As such, I still snuck in a few opinions in there though.

How was your summer road trip? You shared a lot of great pictures on past road trips on your FOS cruise. As payback, I'll share some of mine I took recently at Red River Gorge and Natural Bridge State Park in KY (consider this payback).

35986526041_12d58834e1_k.jpg

35728629360_907486219b_k.jpg

35278850754_168cb2f3be_k.jpg

35986523221_461335cbc0_k.jpg

35986527301_39bc4f18b8_k.jpg

35986527791_9a114ec86b_k.jpg

I'll consider doing the Baltic cruise review the reason I didn't start it was because I feel like it is a big commitment. If I start and don't finish, I'll need to repay all that advance money paid to me by CC management. I'll disappoint all the fans and lose out on the movie offers that were inevitably coming.

Answers to all your questions will remain a closely-guarded secret in case I do start that review. If I wanted to reference rap music with Sir Mix A lot, I would need to some research since I don't have teenagers and that's not my taste in music. Serenade didn't exactly fit in the 'big butts' category.

That Cannon SX60 camera wasn't a coincidence. I was so impressed with your FOS photos, I went and got one myself (had too, I was going to Norway after all and great photos are the best souvenirs). The phone was semi-coincidence though, I had a Galaxy S5 and felt it was time to replace it since it was getting a bit laggy as well as wanted a better camera.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the Anthem cruise -- we've done the Oasis class last year (Allure) and Voyager class (Adventure) before and thought we'd go big again. Still haven't done Freedom class and I really want to (maybe next year).

My last time in Norway has been in 2012, or in 2013, if you count the cruise call in Oslo.

I am so happy being in my "second home" again after over 4 years break. ☺ I understand everyone counting Norway as one of the top 5 cruise regions.

Especially for Alesund I need some inspiration since this port will be new for me, your review helps on that.

Let's see if we also dick at Geiranger at the new pier.

I'm presuming you meant 'dock' at Geiranger... I was extremely convenient to dock there. As I said in my trip report, MDW was very cold and exhausted from riding in back of the Twizy that she went back to the ship and took a nap to warm up and rest. I was able to stroll to/from shore at that time without waiting for a tender -- probably wouldn't have done that otherwise.

We came on Constitution Day in Alesund so there won't likely be any parades to watch when you are there. But on the bright side, you could take a tour to the Troll road since it is mid-summer (I would have like to have done that). I really loved the natural beauty of Norway.

Thanks for taking the time to do this review; we're on Serenade for a repo in 2018 and there is so little recent info here! I have an Oasis trip to make first in 2017, but I feel like I'll need the year to get everything I need for Serenade.

I have always equated cruises to eating at the buffets – no two people eat the same food at the buffets. Just as everyone has their own different perspectives on their cruise vacation so the template is just something to help you organize your delivery on your cruise. Everything else in this trip report is all you. Hats off to the great pics you took on your cruise.

I understand what you mean about the time & energy commitment to complete one of these trip reports. Part of the reason I stay away from CC from February onward is I’m tired mentally after finishing off these trip reports. It’s good to walk away from it for a while to do something else besides talking cruises.

As you said, it’s not good to start and not finish but you have a decent time gap between the Anthem and Solstice cruise to write up a summary for one, if not both, of the cruises. Just let the scenery photo do the talking and you can just add few comments here and there to stitch the pictures together.

I assume you like the SX60? The zoom is nice to get the close up animal shots and scenery but a bit lacking int the indoor dark areas of the ship but cell phone is a good companion in that it takes good still dark pictures. My wife had a S5 also and she upgraded to the S7 edge last year for some of the FOS pics from my trip report.

Very nice and very green colored pictures of the KY area. Stark contrast to the brown/reddish colored Southwest pictures from our summer road trip. Not too many forests in that part of the country. We drove 2,000+ miles roundtrip and wilted the sweltering heat of 110+ degree heat in Vegas area.

So people click on to read this report thinking they will learn about Serenade and Norway but instead they see pictures of Kentucky and Arizona/Utah. Yeah, they are connected, right?

Thanks for allowing me to drop in few pics from my trip. Feel free to drop in any pics in my future new thread when I write a new trip report early next year after my December cruise (or you are welcome to drop them in the 2014 Allure trip report now). Fletch and I do that on each other's trip report just to add to the digression. This is a preview on what I will digress to in my future trip report.

The bright colors of Antelope Canyon at Page, Arizona:

35695580625_d14db937ec_h.jpg

Horseshoe Bend in the same region (don't get too close as there are no railings at the edge):

35955498422_09f0c05b13_h.jpg

The famous Monument Valley. As seen in many western movies such as Lone Ranger. See the road in the middle and compare the small cars to the size of the rocks:

35955545452_dfa48ca897_h.jpg

Arches National Park – Delicate Arch. Crazy long hike of two plus hours round trip in the 95 degree heat that day with no cover in order to get here.

35991810421_0cd675d0fe_h.jpg

Canyonland National Park to see the Mesa Arch:

35656439496_b08fd547e0_h.jpg

Last one of the vast wildernesses of the Utah region at Canyonland National Park:

36083148456_79cecd3dd8_h.jpg

I'm presuming you meant 'dock' at Geiranger... I was extremely convenient to dock there. As I said in my trip report, MDW was very cold and exhausted from riding in back of the Twizy that she went back to the ship and took a nap to warm up and rest. I was able to stroll to/from shore at that time without waiting for a tender -- probably wouldn't have done that otherwise.

We came on Constitution Day in Alesund so there won't likely be any parades to watch when you are there. But on the bright side, you could take a tour to the Troll road since it is mid-summer (I would have like to have done that). I really loved the natural beauty of Norway.

Of course dock I meant, I sometimes hate the automatic correction of the iPhone...[emoji849]

Yeah berthing alongside at the pier there seems to be very handy. When we are there, another ship is in port with us, but it's the cheap fare cruise line Pullmantur, while we are there with Holland America Line. I expect we can dock as a higher fare cruise line.

I also consider going back to the ship onboard before taking a hike, since in the morning I am on a boat outing.

For me it's not about seeing parades or festivals, but exploring the town of Ålesund. ☺

We're there the whole day, and are having enough time to explore.