Anthem of the Seas 5 Night Review 8/12/17

Kelly04

First off, a little background about me. I'm 31 and traveled with my husband (32). I've been on 13 cruises, 11 of them with RCCL. I was a little apprehensive when booking this Anthem cruise because it was so expensive (flying down to Florida and cruising 7 days on the Allure would have cost the same amount), however we liked that we could drive up to the port from Northern Virginia.

Embarkation: We arrived at the port around 9:35 and dropped our bags off. Could not believe how easy it was to park ($20 a day) and the garage is so close to the terminal. We checked in w/ someone with a tablet and sat in the waiting area. There were probably already 50 people ahead of us. Initially, they told us we would start boarding at 11:30 however we were pleasantly surprised when they started letting people on right before 11. Embarkation on this ship seemed a lot easier than with other ships.

Right when we got on, I was in semi-panic mode because we were unable to reserve IFLY or Northstar online. My RoyalIQ app for some reason was not connecting to the wifi. I got conflicting info from a few different people on where to go to sign up, but finally we were pointed in the right direction. A line was forming at Two70 to book IFLY and Northstar, and there were already about 50 or so people in line. We waited for a few minutes until I hit "keep connection" on my RoyalIQ app- voila! It worked and I just made reservations Northstar for the first sea day and booked my husband on IFLY for the second sea day.

Dining: We ate at Grande 4 out of the 5 nights during early seating. My husband gets 2 entrees every night and in his words "Usually when I get 2 entrees, I get one great dish and one so-so dish. On this cruise I got 2 great entrees every night". We are not picky eaters, and we thought that food and service in the main dining room was better than in recent cruises. The dining room was pretty empty most nights so this may have something to do with it. Our waiter was Romando Lorraine and assistant waiter was John Co. Very nice guys. Lobster was served on Night 4.

We ate at the Solarium Bistro the first night in Bermuda as we caught the last ferry from St. George. We thought this was really good too. They have a buffet with vegetarian and seafood options (mostly Med. influenced), but there is also a menu to order off too. It was a laid back restaurant and we really enjoyed it.

We at the Windjammer 3 times for breakfast. It was just okay. I wish they had turkey sausage. I didn't even try the scrambled eggs as I have not liked them in the past on RCCL. Omelets were good, but usually there was a wait. I thought lunch in the Windjammer was better on this ship than on previous cruises.

Cafe Two70 was a nice alternative to have. Breakfast sandwiches are pretty good, and the lunch options were also tasty. Love the Kimmel Weck roast beef sandwiches. I also got specialty coffee here sometimes in the morning. They serve Seattle's Best, while La Patisserie serves Starbucks.

We visited Cafe Promenade and Sorrentos a few times late night. I know most people say the pizza is terrible, but I thought it was fine. Pizza is pizza, especially after quite a few drinks.

Entertainment: While I made reservations for each of the 3 shows, we only ended up making it to Spectra's Cabaret. We aren't really "show people" and usually lose interest and walk out within 15 minutes. This one kept our interest and we actually stayed until the end. It's a little weird but the aerialists do some cool stuff. We did watch the headliner on this cruise, Greg London who does music impressions. That was pretty good. Love and Marriage game show was funny as usual. The Cruise director actually brought up 4 couples, which I haven't seen before. This cruise also happened to be the 100th Voyage for Anthem, so they did a special show in 270. They displayed all the RCCL ships on the screen like they do for the Crown and Anchor Event. They also served champagne and cake, and had a raffle. It ended with virtual fireworks and a dance party.

Bars/Lounges: We spent most of our time in the Schooner Bar and Michael's Genuine Pub. I didn't care too much for entertainment at the Schooner Bar this cruise, but we spent a lot of time doing trivia and just lounging there. Michael's had a really great guitarist who had quite the crowd on some nights. It was also great for people watching. The Music Hall was also pretty lively at times, and we watched a few bands there and listened to some Karaoke.

Activities: Our Northstar reservation got cancelled due to high winds and weather on the first day. They don't have a system for rescheduling- you basically just have to go standby. We were lucky and got on the 2nd trip up while docked in Bermuda. I think it easier to try IFly on standby. I didn't do it, but my husband did. The instructors seemed really nice, and they were awesome with kids. My one complaint would be the bumper cars. As you've probably read, the Seaplex is used for many different things and the bumper cars were rarely going. I wish they had a reservation system for this as well, since on a short 5 day cruise, the last thing you want to do is wait in line for an hour. I heard a lot of people upset that there wasn't a dedicated basketball court too.

Disembarkation: We took our luggage off around 8. I think the whole process took less than a half hour. Much better than our recent cruises.

Random Notes:

Stateroom was awesome (11670, d7? )- the nicest we've ever stayed in. Everything is so modern. We had toiletries in our bathroom (soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion). I've seen conflicting reports about this.

Pools- Yes, they are crowded, like any ship. Chair hogs out in full effect. Solarium was amazing on this ship. You could usually find a hot tub to sit in.

Sea Pass Charges- We had the beverage package however pretty much every day we had a charge on our account. Just had to go to guest services to get it removed but it was annoying. Just check your statement every day!

All in all, we thought this was a great (but waaaaay to short) cruise. Don't let the negative reviews scare you- she is a beautiful ship with so many activities. Would love to do a 9 night next year!

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you for your review, I am on the Anthem in 2018. I agree it is a bit more expensive, I had the same thought as you did. I could book a ship that was less, but darn it I want to experience what the Anthem has to offer.

Great review :) I'm going on Anthem in a couple of days, and have a few quick questions. Was the waiting area before you boarded pretty big and spacious? How high were the winds that the NorthStar was cancelled? I have a reservation on the first sea day, and hope it's not bad.

Hi Kelly, Thanks for your review. Glad you all had a great trip. We are leaving Saturday 8/26 on Anthem for Bermuda and had a question about disembarkment. Can you please let me know what time the self carry off is? Was there more than one time available? Thanks

PS. I used to live in Fairfax growing up :)

Great review :) I'm going on Anthem in a couple of days, and have a few quick questions. Was the waiting area before you boarded pretty big and spacious? How high were the winds that the NorthStar was cancelled? I have a reservation on the first sea day, and hope it's not bad.

Music Man--it is like a big warehouse. The whole terminal is big and spacious and the waiting area plenty big with rows of chairs.

OP: Thanks for your review. We LOVE Anthem.

The waiting area was pretty large. Probably at least 25 rows of seats in just the first section where we were seated. It took a while for it to fill up, especially since Suite Guests had their own waiting area. I didn't think the winds were that bad, but it was pouring on the first day at sea on and off. The last sea day, where were avoiding Hurricane Gert (and they thought there might be some wind), they had Northstar going so hard to tell.

Edited by Kelly04

Thank you for the review! I'm going on the Anthem in 32 days! The ship is a bit expensive but DH doesn't want to fly to a ship, so this was the best choice. I just kept watching RCCL's sales until I found the best price for our budget.

Wait....eeeeerrkkkkk...lobster on night 4....??? Sailing on a 5 night next month and was happy to read this!!!!!!! I've read comments it isn't offered on 5 nights....so good to hear this first-hand!

Thank you for taking the time to post your review! Excited to try Anthem!!

How far in advance can you book this and IFLY?

Thank you for your review. I have been in love with the Quantum class since the second it was announced, and the fact that a ship was to be placed within 3 hours of my house was even better, but the price has continuously driven me away in favor of other cruises. I am kind of like you in the sense that if I can fly to Florida or Puerto Rico and visit some new ports for the same price, or go on a 7-8 night cruise for the same price as a 5 night, I am going with the longer voyage. Hopefully once the hype dies down a little more, it will be cost effective, and I will finally get to sail on my dream ship. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip, thanks for the review!

Solarium was amazing on this ship. You could usually find a hot tub to sit in.

Great review! The Anthem is at the top of my list for which ship to try next, but I am apprehensive about one thing. I spend a good amount of time in the Solarium (often don't get off ship in port to have the Solarium almost to myself) and love the semi-open style on Oasis class ships. I've read many reviews re: Anthem solarium, many say it's awesome, and quite a few say it's hot and stuffy. Everyone has their own opinion, and tolerability level of 'hot and stuffy', but as you were in the Solarium during the hottest summer month of August, I would love to know what your experience was - did you find it hot and stuffy? Were windows open?

I was on Harmony in July (first time cruising Caribbean in summer) and my biggest concern was that it would be toooooooo hot but I was pleasantly surprised that it actually felt more comfy than pre-cruise FLL. I would not hesitate to go Caribbean in the summer again.

Thanks!

I was on this same sailing and found the Solarium almost unbearable due to no circulating air unless you happen to get a seat near an open window (impossible unless you claim your chair before 7AM). I did like the tiered pools and the lounge chair type things in a shallow area of water. I couldn't stay there for more than an hour unless I was in the pool, though (and I'm used to heat and humidity living in the south).

found the Solarium almost unbearable due to no circulating air unless you happen to get a seat near an open window

That's what I am gathering from what I have read in other reviews. It sounds like the Solarium on Anthem IS awesome, but may not be the best for someone who practically lives there (in summer time anyway). A New England/Canada cruise is on my bucket list, so maybe I'll save Anthem for that when I know I'll actually get off the ship in port and spend much less time in the Solarium. Photos of this ship look amazing!

Hi Kelly, Thanks for your review. Glad you all had a great trip. We are leaving Saturday 8/26 on Anthem for Bermuda and had a question about disembarkment. Can you please let me know what time the self carry off is? Was there more than one time available? Thanks

PS. I used to live in Fairfax growing up :)

I honestly don't remember when it started, but I think it was pretty early- maybe 7:30 or earlier. Once they start letting people disembark, I think you can just head on out.

For my up-coming cruise, we were able to book iFLY about two months ahead of time.

I would agree with this. Cruise was in August, I think reservations opened up in May and within a few weeks they were gone for this sailing. I didn't reserve any right away because I didn't know what our plan was for excursions. When I checked again, nothing was available.

Great review! The Anthem is at the top of my list for which ship to try next, but I am apprehensive about one thing. I spend a good amount of time in the Solarium (often don't get off ship in port to have the Solarium almost to myself) and love the semi-open style on Oasis class ships. I've read many reviews re: Anthem solarium, many say it's awesome, and quite a few say it's hot and stuffy. Everyone has their own opinion, and tolerability level of 'hot and stuffy', but as you were in the Solarium during the hottest summer month of August, I would love to know what your experience was - did you find it hot and stuffy? Were windows open?

I was on Harmony in July (first time cruising Caribbean in summer) and my biggest concern was that it would be toooooooo hot but I was pleasantly surprised that it actually felt more comfy than pre-cruise FLL. I would not hesitate to go Caribbean in the summer again.

Thanks!

I didn't find the solarium to be too stuffy or warm, but then again I get cold pretty easily. On a sunny day, it can get a little hot if you never get in a hot tub or pool. On the day where it was really cloudy, I was a little chilly after getting out of the hot tub. Some of the windows on the sides were open, but I think most were closed.

Thank you for your review. I have been in love with the Quantum class since the second it was announced, and the fact that a ship was to be placed within 3 hours of my house was even better, but the price has continuously driven me away in favor of other cruises. I am kind of like you in the sense that if I can fly to Florida or Puerto Rico and visit some new ports for the same price, or go on a 7-8 night cruise for the same price as a 5 night, I am going with the longer voyage. Hopefully once the hype dies down a little more, it will be cost effective, and I will finally get to sail on my dream ship. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip, thanks for the review!

I just switched from Grandeur to Anthem. Cruise departs June 28, 2018. An extended balcony on Anthem was only $170 more expensive than Grandeur. I changed to a non-refundable rate, and it is now $213 less. That's a deal I couldn't pass up!