Flying from NYC area to San Juan What The ........

CruiseCrazedQT

We have a girlfriends cruise coming up in August (23-30) On Carnival Liberty out of San Juan. We are currently looking for airfare out of the NYC area and we can't seem to find anything under $470-500. :eek: We have gone to PR in the past (2013) during this time of year and flights are usually much cheaper because it is hurricane season but this year seems to be something strange going on with the skyrocketing prices. Should we wait and hope that airfare comes down or should we just look to pay $500 for a r/t flight? :confused::confused::confused:

Is this the first time you've looked? If not, have prices gone up or down since you started looking? Also, are you limiting yourself to nonstop? If so, expand your search for stops.

Are you looking for one reservation for all of you? If so, that may result in a higher fare - check individual tickets

Prices rarely go down. Sometimes, but I wouldn't count on it.

I searched for one ticket only. I don't see anything under $412 RT out of JFK. Even flying out of EWR only gets the price down to $400. I also looked at IAD, BOS, LGA and PHL but prices still about the same. What you paid in the past is irrelevant.

Planes are flying full and you are booking late. Perhaps the lower fare buckets are already sold out. I did look at Southwest out of LGA, (Southwest does not fly out of JFK) which was the most expensive at $572.

Since this is during the summer, and people take their vacations, I am not sure why air fare would go down. I would predict as the lower fare buckets sell out, you will just see increased prices, and not lower ones.

Edited by 6rugrats

out of Newark, leaving day before returning the 30th is about 417 AND two free bags per person for their wanna get away fare...might be cheaper out of LGA or JFK, but I see you are from NJ like me and I prefer to price both options and stick with EWR if not a dramatic difference lower in NYC...

Bernadette

out of Newark, leaving day before returning the 30th is about 417 AND two free bags per person for their wanna get away fare...might be cheaper out of LGA or JFK

OP can't make that return flight on Southwest. It returns at 6:50 a.m. And, as stated, Southwest doesn't fly out of JFK.

Edited by 6rugrats

Zach1213 I am just looking for myself. Once I find something I will let the others know what I have found. I was looking for non-stop since I hate going up and down on flights. But I may need a few cocktails and suck it up if it is cost effective. 6rugrats if I can go out of newark that is better then I won't have to pay for airport parking. Thank you both for the suggestions

Zach1213 I am just looking for myself. Once I find something I will let the others know what I have found. I was looking for non-stop since I hate going up and down on flights. But I may need a few cocktails and suck it up if it is cost effective. 6rugrats if I can go out of newark that is better then I won't have to pay for airport parking. Thank you both for the suggestions

You can find nonstop from EWR on JetBlue for the way down, but the way back, you'd have to connect at FLL.

Search on matrix.itasoftware.com

Should we wait and hope that airfare comes down or should we just look to pay $500 for a r/t flight? :confused::confused::confused:

Are you willing and able to pay MORE if you wait for prices to drop but they go up instead?

If not, buy now.

If yes, feel free to wait and gamble on a price decrease.

• 2 weeks later...

Just did a search:

United EWR-SJU on the dates given $398 round trip non-stop. If you fly out on Friday, it is $388

Delta JFK-SJU on the dates given $398 round trip non-stop.

On both, you probably get there too late for the cruise.

Perhaps you may want to fly out Friday night in order to make it to the ship.

American JFK-SJU for $398 if you fly on Friday.

OP can't make the return flights for the ones you have listed; they're at 9:00 am, aren't they? Cheapest nonstops now, with workable times are on US @$479 RT.

Hopefully, OP purchased when she started this thread, as there was cheaper availability then.

Edited by 6rugrats

OP can't make the return flights for the ones you have listed; they're at 9:00 am, aren't they? Cheapest nonstops now, with workable times are on US @$479 RT.

Hopefully, OP purchased when she started this thread, as there was cheaper availability then.

Bummer.

• 2 weeks later...

The prices are high from everywhere to SJU:eek:...I am in the Southeast

and need to fly down in November....prices from here to San Juan

are over 400.00 roundtrip:rolleyes:

Is that old adage of booking on a Tuesday and/or Wednesday still holding

true? (about lower prices on those days of the week?):confused:

Try it and let us know ;)

It is one of those urban legends…

Big difference between BOOKING on Tuesday/Wednesday and FLYING on Tuesday/Wednesday.

BOOKING is the urban legend. But actually FLYING on Tuesday/Wednesday very often results in a lower fare.

Two weeks ago, I needed to fly either LAX or PHX to JFK (my monthly business trip to our NYC office). The difference on both American out of LAX and US out of PHX (both nonstop redeyes) for a flight on WEDNESDAY was between $65-80 compared to Friday/Sunday or Monday.

Pull up the monthly schedule for any flight you choose on ITA and very often, you will see that the Tuesday/Wednesday flights are cheaper depending on departure dates and airports. Summer fares are pretty consistent across the board but once you reach Sept 15, the differences show up.

Big difference between BOOKING on Tuesday/Wednesday and FLYING on Tuesday/Wednesday.

BOOKING is the urban legend. But actually FLYING on Tuesday/Wednesday very often results in a lower fare.

Two weeks ago, I needed to fly either LAX or PHX to JFK (my monthly business trip to our NYC office). The difference on both American out of LAX and US out of PHX (both nonstop redeyes) for a flight on WEDNESDAY was between $65-80 compared to Friday/Sunday or Monday.

Pull up the monthly schedule for any flight you choose on ITA and very often, you will see that the Tuesday/Wednesday flights are cheaper depending on departure dates and airports. Summer fares are pretty consistent across the board but once you reach Sept 15, the differences show up.

Ohhhh...I can't fly on Wed or Thurs for this trip:eek:........

Thanks for the information though....guess I had my information

mixed up:(

The prices are high from everywhere to SJU:eek:...I am in the Southeast

and need to fly down in November....prices from here to San Juan

are over 400.00 roundtrip:rolleyes:

Is that old adage of booking on a Tuesday and/or Wednesday still holding

true? (about lower prices on those days of the week?):confused:

My girlfriends and I are from Northern California and we have been checking twice a day since March and flying from San Francisco, San Jose or Oakland is over $700! Keeping our fingers crossed that airfares come down! It's five of us and we cruise August 16th!

OMG.....sounds like I shouldn't have said anything:eek:

700.00?:confused:...........so sorry.......

418.00 doesn't sound so high now:o..........

Ohhhh...I can't fly on Wed or Thurs for this trip:eek:........

Thanks for the information though....guess I had my information

mixed up:(

Maybe some additional explanation will help you understand:

There is a widely held urban myth that if you purchase flights on a Tuesday after a certain time (the time varies according to who's telling the story) that they are all miraculously cheaper. The flaw in that thinking is that if there was a magic point in time on Tuesdays when flights were cheaper, everyone would wait and purchase then. But... that would mean demand at that time would swell and if you've taken Econ 101 you know that when demand rises, price rises; the airlines would immediately see that there's a surge in purchasing then and would take advantage of that.

Flying on a Tue or Wed however, is a different thing, as Greatam mentioned. The reason is that those days are in relatively lower demand by business travelers, who typically fly out on business trips on Sundays and Mondays (to be wherever they need to be to conduct business for the week) and then return home on Thursdays and Fridays.

Ultimately the price is more determined by the day you intend to fly than the day you purchase. (Buying a ticket to go see Grandma the day before Thanksgiving? It won't really matter what day you buy your ticket; you're likely going to pay a pretty penny because you are buying a ticket for one of the most popular travel days of the year.)

• 1 month later...