A380 question(s)

TroubleT

Does anybody know if the bar is open for the passengers of all cabins on A380? Or is it just for First and Business Class? Also, I understand that we all have different level of tolerance, but I've heard that A380 is designed much better to handle long flights in Coach. But is it really so or do we need to invest into Premium Economy (can't afford BC :-( )?

Thanks for your help!

You've not mentioned the airline or route which is pretty important.

However, I don't think any airline I'm familiar with has a bar for economy passengers.

Whether to invest in premium economy depends on your own values for the benefits in that cabin.

Does anybody know if the bar is open for the passengers of all cabins on A380? Or is it just for First and Business Class? Also, I understand that we all have different level of tolerance, but I've heard that A380 is designed much better to handle long flights in Coach. But is it really so or do we need to invest into Premium Economy (can't afford BC :-( )?

Thanks for your help!

It's still a sardine can only much bigger . Check the airline about the open bar.

Coach in all airlines is very similar.

The advantage to all pax on a A380 is the pressure setting in the cabin- it is lower. Many state this makes jetlag a little easier- I would have to agree, although our 3 trips in the A380 have all been in Business, so I sleep moderately well in lie flat seats.

Specifying the airline and route would be very helpful. All I know is it isn't Lufthansa, as it doesn't have a bar in it's A380s, nor does Lufthansa have Premium Economy.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Lufthansa has three layouts for their A380, two of them have premium economy downstairs one does not have it.

British Airways have premium economy upstairs. I found a lot of lateral space and legroom on this but a slightly lower ceiling. I reserved seats at the time of booking and snagged one of the pairs by the window. It depends a lot on price differentials and how big you are in my opinion whether you upgrade.

Regards John

Lufthansa has three layouts for their A380, two of them have premium economy downstairs one does not have it.

British Airways have premium economy upstairs. I found a lot of lateral space and legroom on this but a slightly lower ceiling. I reserved seats at the time of booking and snagged one of the pairs by the window. It depends a lot on price differentials and how big you are in my opinion whether you upgrade.

Regards John

Hmmm...heard it may be coming, didn't realize it was already here.

I would be interested to see how the bar concept works. I know the 747s used to have a bar in the upstairs cabin on some airlines.

On Lufthansa, I know there are 100 up stairs, 90 Business and 10 First. If LH had a lounge, that could turn into a pretty busy bar, and require several bartenders to keep things flowing smoothly.

So, given an A380 can hold about 500 (give or take some based on seating configuration) that would make for one heck of a busy two bars (one on each deck) if economy got to use a lounge as well.

I would be interested to see how the bar concept works. I know the 747s used to have a bar in the upstairs cabin on some airlines.

On Lufthansa, I know there are 100 up stairs, 90 Business and 10 First. If LH had a lounge, that could turn into a pretty busy bar, and require several bartenders to keep things flowing smoothly.

So, given an A380 can hold about 500 (give or take some based on seating configuration) that would make for one heck of a busy two bars (one on each deck) if economy got to use a lounge as well.

I don't see any airline ever allowing bar use for Econ or even Premium Econ pax. There's just nothing to gain for an airline to offer it to those pax. It's a selling point for Biz and First pax who often choose on comfort and perks over price...but most economy pax choose on price, so I don't see the added expense of a bar being beneficial for the airline

I don't see any airline ever allowing bar use for Econ or even Premium Econ pax. There's just nothing to gain for an airline to offer it to those pax. It's a selling point for Biz and First pax who often choose on comfort and perks over price...but most economy pax choose on price, so I don't see the added expense of a bar being beneficial for the airline

+1.

Also when flying alone your business/first class seat is far more comfortable than a bar stool to take a drink at.

If flying with someone a lot of people will seat next to one another so can both chat without bothering with going to the bar. In some F seats you have a "buddy seat" where you can dine/have a drink with another passenger. Again, in my mind preferable to the barstool.

I think the bars work better for larger groups or where you have others scattered amongst the cabin but not right beside you, or in the J/F seats that are more private. Then there's always the chatty people...

One benefit in economy (lower level) of the 380 is the vertical walls. Only really helps window seats, but not having the wall of the plane curve in on you can be nice.

Whilst this is true I found that where the wall curved in they give you an extra cupboard the size of a big laptop beside your seat arm making that arm rest area much wider if you are next to the window. Standing to exit seat is not really a problem.

Regards John

I thought so... I can't imagine all passengers from Economy going to the bar. After all gravity does exist.:D

Qantas A380's have self-service snack and beverage stations in Business and Premium Economy. They contains beverages and snacks (sort of like raiding the fridge). I don't think it's available in regular Economy but I could be incorrect.

Edited by kenish

Qantas A380's have self-service snack and beverage stations in Business and Premium Economy. They contains beverages and snacks (sort of like raiding the fridge). I don't think it's available in regular Economy but I could be incorrect.

Definitely available, but always underwhelming. Whenever I'm back there, all I see is one or two mediocre snacks with coke and lemonade...that's about it.

Oh, and apples. Tons of apples. My god, the apples.

Edited by Zach1213

Oh, and apples. Tons of apples. My god, the apples.
I've never been hungry enough on a long-haul QF flight to look at the snack bar. But I've seen plenty of QF apples on SYD-MEL (and similar) flights. I'm not normally a great fruit eater, but there was something about them that caught my eye one day - and I discovered that they're delicious. So a mid-morning treat on a SYD-MEL is a cup of tea, the piece of cake that they hand out, and a great QF apple.

I wonder whether QF stocks the same type on international flights.