Is onboard expense account required?

magoo44

Hi, I am trying to complete my online checkin (Carnival Cruise) and am unable to without setting up an online expense account. I have cruised before and do not remember having to do this. Is this required to complete my checkin, as I do not plan on spending any additional money while onboard. Thank you.

Not sure how it is done on Carnival, but you set up one on Princess to take care of tips etc. Also they use it if you ever skip a port and they have to credit your account.

Amazing that you never spend any money while on a cruise!

Hi, I am trying to complete my online checkin (Carnival Cruise) and am unable to without setting up an online expense account. I have cruised before and do not remember having to do this. Is this required to complete my checkin, as I do not plan on spending any additional money while onboard. Thank you.

You may be able to set up a "cash" account, without having to use a credit or debit card.

I would ask for details on the dedicated Carnival forum here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

Yes, you are required to set up an account. You can select the cash option, then fund the account or not when you check in at the port, as you will. If you choose not to fund your account, then you will not be able to spend anything on board. If you have not prepaid your gratuities, they will be requesting your presence at the Guest Services desk to either fund your account to pay them, or remove them.

Well I'm not a drinker and since the food and water is free, we spend our money on the excursions.

Not sure how it is done on Carnival, but you set up one on Princess to take care of tips etc. Also they use it if you ever skip a port and they have to credit your account.

Amazing that you never spend any money while on a cruise!

A cash account is what you want. Usually, they will allow you to charge up to a certain point....you can alway put a little down, if they require it, and cash it out on the last night, if you don't spend it. That way, your money isn't "tied up".

Yes, you are required to set up an account. You can select the cash option, then fund the account or not when you check in at the port, as you will. If you choose not to fund your account, then you will not be able to spend anything on board. If you have not prepaid your gratuities, they will be requesting your presence at the Guest Services desk to either fund your account to pay them, or remove them.

thank you :)

Well I'm not a drinker and since the food and water is free, we spend our money on the excursions.

Excursions booked on-ship are done through that account. It's the equivalent of a hotel taking down your credit card info for incidentals and security.

Just did the HAL (part of Carnival group) check-in process yesterday (partially) and on the ship account page it gave two options - a credit card (it will put a hold on $450 at boarding) and a Cash account - pay $450 at boarding, unused portion refundable. Either way they have first dibs on $450 whether you spend it or not.

If you have not pre-paid your service charges (probably about $12.50 per person per day) you will need to set up an account to provide for it. - as well as any on board spending.

an excursion booked thru the ship goes on the 'account' .... if you DIY - it does not.

BUT the ship WILL want to set up an account for you (aka require) since the ship is "cash less" ...... more power to ya if you finish a cruise with a zero balance!

I'm sure they also factor in the fact that for many though not all people if there's money on account they're more likely to spend that money rather than wait to the end of the cruise and get it back. A good part of business is understanding Human Nature and playing the odds.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

They require something for incidentals. There are times they are just writing down your folio number without running the card. So, you could sign out some waters, pool side drinks or even call home from your cabin phone and not having some form of payment on file, makes it harder to collect. Mind you, they will collect before you leave though. Also, a lot of cheaters and scammers sail using fraud credit cards, overdrawn credit cards, fake gift cards, debit cards tied to empty bank accounts, etc.