Dinning room dress code.

minikiss

I've looked but can't quite find the answer i'm after.

So can someone please say if my hubby will be allowed in the D.R. in jeans.

They are clean smart blue or black one without tears and worn with shoes not trainers.

Would they be acceptable as casual wear.

Having sailed Princess, RCCL and Carnival I know he is ok to wear them on casual / non formal nights on their ships.

P&O don't seem to care anymore on one of our cruises on Azura one family wore football shirts and track suit bottoms in MDR on Smart Casual evenings and on the as it was then the Semi Formal where a jacket should be worn all they did is put matching jacket on to track suit bottoms. When we mentioned it to the Purser, as it was at the time, over lunch that we were disappointed with standards of dress on the ship her reply was "well I have a pair of designer jeans that have cost more than majority of men's dinner suits. I think that says it all about P&Os attitude towards dress code.

On E701 the standard of dress in the MDR adopted my a minority, but a significant minority, was appalling. Base ball caps, sleeveless vests and scruffy threadbare jeans were regularly apparent. Those so dressed displayed no embarrassment nor consideration for the feelings for those who had booked in expectation of dining in an ambiance commensurate with the, already relaxed, standards so well defined in P&Os Ts&Cs. My complaint at the time to appropriate P&O staff was acknowledged and agreed with but the response was that tolerance of below standard was to be applied as cabins had to filled. Why do people book to go with P&O when they would feel more happy and comfortable, socially, on a ship offering a much more relaxed service standard? Whilst I fully expect to be well "trolled" over this contribution, I would point out that I do not condemn nor look down/on/across on those who desire or enjoy a very relaxed and informal holiday environment. But I do object to having my standards of enjoyment compromised.......

Sent from my iPadff

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On E701 the standard of dress in the MDR adopted my a minority, but a significant minority, was appalling. Base ball caps, sleeveless vests and scruffy threadbare jeans were regularly apparent. Those so dressed displayed no embarrassment nor consideration for the feelings for those who had booked in expectation of dining in an ambiance commensurate with the, already relaxed, standards so well defined in P&Os Ts&Cs. My complaint at the time to appropriate P&O staff was acknowledged and agreed with but the response was that tolerance of below standard was to be applied as cabins had to filled. Why do people book to go with P&O when they would feel more happy and comfortable, socially, on a ship offering a much more relaxed service standard? Whilst I fully expect to be well "trolled" over this contribution, I would point out that I do not condemn nor look down/on/across on those who desire or enjoy a very relaxed and informal holiday environment. But I do object to having my standards of enjoyment compromised.......

Sent from my iPadff

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My husband and I totally agree with you.

I'm afraid that the way that things are going generally, both on land and at sea, dress doesn't seem to matter any more.

I have stated many times that there are plenty of cruise lines where dress is informal 100% of the time, so if people don't like dressing up, and there are plenty that don't, they should choose those cruise lines to travel on rather than P&O.

If I was you I would email Christopher Edgington directly. We always get a response quickly on the odd occasion we have emailed.

Jeans are fine in the MDR, I wear them with smart tops. On cruises where the demographic is older you see less denim, but on other cruises it is in abundance. So long as you look reasonably smart it's fine - I always say that if you are the sort of person worrying then you aren't the sort of person who needs to [emoji38]

Also just to mention semi formal nights requiring a jacket don't exist any more, it's either evening casual or formal. Have s great cruise and as other people have pointed out you see all sorts onboard [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Jeans are fine in the MDR, I wear them with smart tops. On cruises where the demographic is older you see less denim, but on other cruises it is in abundance. So long as you look reasonably smart it's fine - I always say that if you are the sort of person worrying then you aren't the sort of person who needs to [emoji38]

Also just to mention semi formal nights requiring a jacket don't exist any more, it's either evening casual or formal. Have s great cruise and as other people have pointed out you see all sorts onboard [emoji6]

I am well aware that semi formal is no longer applicable on P&O ships if you had read my comment properly you would have read that I put " as it was then". Standards are falling all over the world whether it be at sea or land but P&O define it as "smart casual" and by any means of the imagination a lot of people dress are not classified as smart casual. Just for information my wife or I would never wear denim jeans whatever the quality, colour or cost if we were dining in a restaurant whether it be at sea or land. A pub is acceptable but certainly not a restaurant and that is one of the main reasons that we no longer cruise with P&O they do not care how people are dressed all they are bothered about is that they fill the ships and they spend plenty of money in the bars. I certainly do not want to spend my holidays on a ship dining in a restaurant with people dressed in track suits and football shirts and the like and as regards to some of the costumes worn and allowed to be worn on ships by hen/stag parties leaves a lot to be desired.

Just for information my wife or I would never wear denim jeans whatever the quality, colour or cost if we were dining in a restaurant whether it be at sea or land. A pub is acceptable but certainly not a restaurant and that is one of the main reasons that we no longer cruise with P&O they do not care how people are dressed all they are bothered about is that they fill the ships and they spend plenty of money in the bars. I certainly do not want to spend my holidays on a ship dining in a restaurant with people dressed in track suits and football shirts and the like and as regards to some of the costumes worn and allowed to be worn on ships by hen/stag parties leaves a lot to be desired.

I have to agree with you.

We would never enter a restaurant wearing denim either, be it on land or sea. There is a difference between a 'restaurant' and what everyone now refers to as a 'gastro pub'. It seems that most people (not all) seem to associate a 'gastro pub' as being one and the same as a 'restaurant' when they are, or should be, distinctly different.

My husband and I would also not want to share a 'restaurant' on board any P&O ship with passengers who think that wearing tracksuits, even smart ones (which do exist) to dinner is acceptable - it isn't.

Personally I miss the semi-formal nights, although my husband doesn't! :D

This subject always polarises opinions. As someone who wears a suit for work, I am always glad to dress down when on holiday. However, if you book a cruise with P&O where clear dress codes apply, I believe that passengers should adhere to it or eat in the buffet where, I believe, anything goes. P&O staff should also do a better job of policing it (although, that feels too strong a word for a holiday, but you know what I mean).

I don't like having to wear dinner suits but would never dream of not doing so on a formal night and it does look lovely seeing everyone in their finery. As for smart casual nights, I personally wouldn't wear jeans, however 'smart' or 'designer' they are.

I do think that a minimum standard is the least we can all adhere to, out of respect for other guests. On Britannia last year, as suite passengers we enjoyed breakfast in the fantastic Epicurean restaurant. There was a middle aged guy who turned up every morning in a garish football shirt. Call me old fashioned if you like, but even at breakfast I don't think that's acceptable dress in a fine dining restaurant and shows a lack of respect. Furthermore, on one formal night there was a family in the Crows Nest at around 8pm still in shorts and t-shirts. Again, I think that shows a lack of respect for other passengers, all of whom had made an effort. P&O staff did absolutely nothing, even though it was in contravention of the dress code for that bar at that time.

Like others, I expect to be criticised for these views. I can live with that. They are my personal opinions, of which we are all entitled.

This subject always polarises opinions. As someone who wears a suit for work, I am always glad to dress down when on holiday. However, if you book a cruise with P&O where clear dress codes apply, I believe that passengers should adhere to it or eat in the buffet where, I believe, anything goes. P&O staff should also do a better job of policing it (although, that feels too strong a word for a holiday, but you know what I mean).

I don't like having to wear dinner suits but would never dream of not doing so on a formal night and it does look lovely seeing everyone in their finery. As for smart casual nights, I personally wouldn't wear jeans, however 'smart' or 'designer' they are.

I do think that a minimum standard is the least we can all adhere to, out of respect for other guests. On Britannia last year, as suite passengers we enjoyed breakfast in the fantastic Epicurean restaurant. There was a middle aged guy who turned up every morning in a garish football shirt. Call me old fashioned if you like, but even at breakfast I don't think that's acceptable dress in a fine dining restaurant and shows a lack of respect. Furthermore, on one formal night there was a family in the Crows Nest at around 8pm still in shorts and t-shirts. Again, I think that shows a lack of respect for other passengers, all of whom had made an effort. P&O staff did absolutely nothing, even though it was in contravention of the dress code for that bar at that time.

Like others, I expect to be criticised for these views. I can live with that. They are my personal opinions, of which we are all entitled.

Well I, and my husband, agree with you! :)

As you no longer cruise with P&O, why do you visit the P&O area of this forum?

Ha ha a number of us have wondered that for some time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have stated many times that there are plenty of cruise lines where dress is informal 100% of the time, so if people don't like dressing up, and there are plenty that don't, they should choose those cruise lines to travel on rather than P&O.

Or you could choose one of the very few cruise lines that still requires strict dressing up. I think the Cunard board is that way ->

Ha ha a number of us have wondered that for some time.

I also wonder how you can argue at some length about drinks prices on Princess and become a "knowledge" on everything to do with cruising when you have never cruised on Princess or any other cruise line apart from P&O but you think you know it all.

I wore a uniform with collar and tie for 34 yrs at work and have no problems with wearing a dinner suit with bow tie or suit with collar and tie whilst on holiday.

As you no longer cruise with P&O, why do you visit the P&O area of this forum?

My last cruise with P&O was Britannia in October 2016 which was my 29th cruise with P&O and whilst I have no future cruises booked with them and cannot see me cruising with them in the near future have sailed on all P&Os current ships except for Adonia and called at many ports of call so have plenty of experience and knowledge to pass on to others that is why I view and comment on this forum.

I wore a uniform with collar and tie for 34 yrs at work and have no problems with wearing a dinner suit with bow tie or suit with collar and tie whilst on holiday.

And the relevance of your comment is......?

For reasons I fail to understand, you seem to want to pick a fight with everybody!

I don't see what there is to fight about, jeans are permitted in the dress code, so wear them if you like. If you don't want to wear jeans then don't. If you don't like the people who cruise with P&O then choose another line. Why do people have to have a fight about this? [emoji849]

I also wonder how you can argue at some length about drinks prices on Princess and become a "knowledge" on everything to do with cruising when you have never cruised on Princess or any other cruise line apart from P&O but you think you know it all.

Cos I can read and as I am booked with them I like to be ready. But you have a go at people on the Princess boards as well.

You will not be able to use that tactic soon. Trying to deflect the fact that you are totally negative about P&O and have been for some time.