Incidences of Barbados with Thomson but without Dreamliner?

megacruiser

I would like to experience the Dreamliner in Premium Economy. I am concerned to note from reviews that Thomson are using the old 767s again on some departures.

Would appreciate hearing from those who have flown on the 767 to Barbados in the last year or so, and from which airport.

Did anyone think Premium Economy on the 767 was value for money?

Many thanks.

P&O are also using Virgin from next year, or possibly sooner (?). I wouldn't get worked up about the 'hypeliner'. Brilliant publicity from a marketing point of view, but vastly over-rated.

Thanks for your response.

Interesting to hear about Virgin being used. Can you confirm these will be chartered flights, as the direct transfer arrangements are important to me?

As regards the Dreamliner, I know just how incredibly narrow the seats are in economy, but most of what I read about the Premium Cabin is very positive. Have you experienced it and found otherwise?

Many thanks.

Hi megacruiser. I agree with wowzz, the dreamliner is totally over-hyped. We have done PE in both Thomson D/L and Thomas Cook 767, several times in the last 3 years, each time from Gatwick,

The over-riding memory from the dreamliner was the uncomfortable seat design on the inbound flight, which we were told was different to the seat design on the outbound flight. If we had the choice, we would avoid the dreamliner as I can't be doing with this 'emperor's new clothes' syndrome. Mood lighting does not make up for uncomfortable seats.

Hi megacruiser. I agree with wowzz, the dreamliner is totally over-hyped. We have done PE in both Thomson D/L and Thomas Cook 767, several times in the last 3 years, each time from Gatwick,

The over-riding memory from the dreamliner was the uncomfortable seat design on the inbound flight, which we were told was different to the seat design on the outbound flight. If we had the choice, we would avoid the dreamliner as I can't be doing with this 'emperor's new clothes' syndrome. Mood lighting does not make up for uncomfortable seats.

Many thanks and very interesting to hear this. I know the seats were changed at least once since Thomson took delivery of the Dreamliner. I wonder if, on the inbound, you had the old design that impeded access to and from the seat.

Have you been on the Thomas Cook A330 since the refurbishment and did you find it a superior product to the Dreamliner?

Many thanks.

P&O are also using Virgin from next year, or possibly sooner (?). I wouldn't get worked up about the 'hypeliner'. Brilliant publicity from a marketing point of view, but vastly over-rated.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Hi,we flew from Miami on Virgin dreamliner last year.The food,service and seats were rubbish,cheers,Brian.

We have flown in Premium both on the original planes and on the Dreamliner. Yes the Dreamliner was good but we enjoyed our flights in the 767 - well as much as you can enjoy such flights - and would have no hesitation in booking Premium seats if it was back to the 767. As for Virgin well we have no experience of flying with Virgin so cannot comment.

We had a Saturday Dreamliner out of Birmingham in December and were due a 767 on the way back. The Friday return flight was delayed 24 hours and they "nicked" our 767 and we ended up on a Dreamliner both ways

We have flown in Premium both on the original planes and on the Dreamliner. Yes the Dreamliner was good but we enjoyed our flights in the 767 - well as much as you can enjoy such flights - and would have no hesitation in booking Premium seats if it was back to the 767. As for Virgin well we have no experience of flying with Virgin so cannot comment.

Many thanks for your feedback.

Hi,the main advantage of the 767 is the 2 4 2 configuration,If you snare an outside pair of seats,cheers,Brian.

Good point and having tried the new 2x4x2 Economy seating on the Thomas Cook A330 (which used to be 3x3x3 like the Dreamliner), this would now be my preferred option when travelling in Economy.

I really only want to experience the Dreamliner in Premium Economy.

Many thanks.

We had a Saturday Dreamliner out of Birmingham in December and were due a 767 on the way back. The Friday return flight was delayed 24 hours and they "nicked" our 767 and we ended up on a Dreamliner both ways

Thanks. I take it then that you were disappointed that the 767 was "nicked"?

Many thanks and very interesting to hear this. I know the seats were changed at least once since Thomson took delivery of the Dreamliner. I wonder if, on the inbound, you had the old design that impeded access to and from the seat.

Have you been on the Thomas Cook A330 since the refurbishment and did you find it a superior product to the Dreamliner?

Many thanks.

Difficult to comment really as I'm not that much of a geek to have noticed whether the TC flight was a 767 or an Airbus, but it was very comfortable and the cabin service was great. I just recall thinking thanks goodness it's not a dreamliner :(. In respect of the change in seat design on the dreamliner, the Cabin Services Manager told us that on the inbound flight, the plane had Phase G seating, whilst the earlier outbound flight, the plane had Phase E seating. Consequently I presumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the uncomfortable inbound flight had the newer seating :confused:. It's a mystery to me.

We will be flying Premium Club on the Thomson Dreamliner in January 2018. Feedback I've had on the Thomson's board has been positive and there are some good youtubbe videoes around if you google it.

Have flown normal economy on the Dreamliner (Jan 2016) and wasn't impressed. Seats were not comfortable at all but must say that jetlag was definitely less than previous overnight flights from the US.

Difficult to comment really as I'm not that much of a geek to have noticed whether the TC flight was a 767 or an Airbus, but it was very comfortable and the cabin service was great. I just recall thinking thanks goodness it's not a dreamliner :(. In respect of the change in seat design on the dreamliner, the Cabin Services Manager told us that on the inbound flight, the plane had Phase G seating, whilst the earlier outbound flight, the plane had Phase E seating. Consequently I presumed (perhaps incorrectly) that the uncomfortable inbound flight had the newer seating :confused:. It's a mystery to me.

Thanks again. I suppose I am a bit of an aircraft geek... :o

From reading here, the perceived wisdom over aircraft preference used to be Thomson over Thomas Cook. Thomson operated two types of 767. Their own 2x4x2 planes, which are high density (narrow seats). Then there were the ex First Choice 767s which were 2x3x2, wider seats and thus were the most desired aircraft, but seem to be no longer in service.

Thomas Cook use only A330s. They used to be high density 3x3x3 but have been refurbished to 2x4x2 providing wider seats that I found pretty acceptable, and undoubtedly the most comfortable economy seating currently available on the Barbados charter flights.

TC are much better the TOM IMO the food is better and so are the crew, we always ask for TC on our annual jaunt around the Caribbean just before Xmas don't always get it like last year flights were TOM and the outbound was really not good at all. The crew were constantly making announcements touting for business and giving us useless information in fact the couple sat next to me had a 3am start from Bristol to Manchester (no flights from Gatwick left) they wanted a snooze on the plance every time they dozed off another announcement came on it was a real over kill. The flight back from New Orleans was really good though one of the best return flights we have done a much better leaving time 14.30 than 17.30. So TC every time for us.

I think Virgin flights are only being used for Adonia cruises...I believe it's still Thomson and TC for Azura and Britannia..having endured, and believe me it was undured, the 10.5 hour flight to New Orleans to join Azura and Christmas and the 8.5 hour flight back from Barbados on a Thomso 767 it was enough for us to decide "never again" it was cramped, uncomfortable and I was constantly smacked around the head by anyone walking past my aisle seat. The overhead compartments were not big enough for everyone's hand luggage and one of the toilets was out of order. Compared to our flights in March last year on the Dreamliner it was like going back in time..give me the Dreamliner every time, the cabin air pressure alone is worth it as no horrible headache for me and much less swelling for my feet and ankles, plus much more comfortable seats than the 767 which were like 10.5 hours sat on a hard surface...

• 3 weeks later...

Gatwick Experiences?

Looks like they have started using the Thomson 767 from Glasgow quite frequently. Has anyone who has flown from Gatwick with Thomson in the past two years had one of those shabby old planes, or always the Dreamliner?

Can't see the point in paying a premium for 2x3x2 seating, which is regular economy seating layout on scheduled airlines like BA.

Thanks

Apart from the upper deck on the A380, (which is 2-4-2)I'm not aware of any long haul BA flights that offer 2-3-2 in economy, apart from the odd row right at the rear of the cabin.

I think BA stopped flying long haul with the 767 in the past year.

I was on one recently from Glasgow to Heathrow. It was 2x3x2 and perfectly comfortable for a one hour flight.

However on an 8 hour flight, that layout does not strike me as "premium", which is the layout of Thomson's Premium Economy on the 767.

Still eager to hear from anyone ex-Gatwick to Barbados who did not fly on the Dreamliner.

Thanks

Hi,we flew from Miami on Virgin dreamliner last year.The food,service and seats were rubbish,cheers,Brian.

I agree. We flew Virgin to Orlando, having not flown with them for over 8 years, and to be honest it felt like a charter flight. The food was appalling, drinks were only offered twice and the service was mediocre. Our last Thomson flight to Barbados in economy was better. The only benefit is on their 767 there is economy seating in the bubble which is quieter than the main cabin.