Diamond (and higher) drink vouchers are back on Independence of the Seas

Daghis

The more and more I have been thinking about this, it finally dawned on me how this could be to their advantage. At first I assumed it would be by eventually reducing the drink selection and then number of drinks.

After much thought, i figured out that they are hoping to increase revenue on the rest of the ship. I.e. Shopping and gambling. When you are confined to the lounge that is a total loss of revenue, as you cannot spend there. This frees up, up to 1000+ diamonds on some of the higher diamond cruises to spend more money. Just like disney and the fast passes. Time in line or confined is lost revenue.

Interesting thought; you might be correct.

since one can easily carry voucher wine or a drink to dinner, it may slightly reduce sales of those drinks to loyalty members in the dining room. that may not be a big loss and it may be offset by spending elsewhere, as you suggest. Also, it spreads people around into various venues, which may enhance the general atmosphere on the ship. On cruises with huge numbers of D/D+/P in DL/CL/overflow, the rest of the ship's venues can seem strangely empty, which may not be the most desirable atmosphere for the remaining passengers.

Diamond and above drinks on sea pass cards,do they include frozen drinks.Also the three drinks is that daily or per cruise? :)

No on frozen drinks.

3 Daily; active during same time DL is open. use or lose.

Interesting thought; you might be correct.

since one can easily carry voucher wine or a drink to dinner, it may slightly reduce sales of those drinks to loyalty members in the dining room. that may not be a big loss and it may be offset by spending elsewhere, as you suggest. Also, it spreads people around into various venues, which may enhance the general atmosphere on the ship. On cruises with huge numbers of D/D+/P in DL/CL/overflow, the rest of the ship's venues can seem strangely empty, which may not be the most desirable atmosphere for the remaining passengers.

Agreed. The ship could have 1/3 the people on the TA cruises in the overflow.

Also it reduces their staffing requirement. They no longer have to staff people differently every cruise based on # of diamonds. Everyone just continues to work the same venues and no one gets pulled. Win-win for them and diamonds. No limitations where you can drink, decreased staffing issues, and now people can drink and gamble or do other activities and spend cash. I doubt the lost sales in the dining room accounts for much as whether they were strict about taking your drink out or not was hit or miss half the time any way.

I am sure they are doing analyses right now to see if revenue goes up or not based on the new system. They would not do this of there wasn't some long term advantage.

• 2 months later...

This seems like a win-win situation for both RCCL and the guests for the following reasons:

1. Guests are spread out around the ship alleviating Diamond Lounge crowding.

2. Cocktails can be enjoyed with friends and fellow travelers who are not D or D+ and therefore not allowed into the Diamond Lounge.

3. There is no dress code when cocktails are enjoyed in venues other than the DL.

4. Drinks are prepared when ordered and not premixed in anticipation of the rush.

5. The DL is still available for those who enjoy meeting their fellow cruisers.

I hope the voucher system will be extended to Celebrity ships. There were 500+ Elites on our last Celebrity cruise.

My wife and I are big fans of the lounges both CL and DL. We have made some great friends and had amazing conversations with some amazing people. I can honestly say its a deal breaker for us. We love to cruise and do so on a number of lines but its never like RC....and it all boils down to the CL/DL. I know it might sound crazy but being crammed into a room full of people makes people have to socialize and a nice full CL makes for a very interesting cruise. We love to sit with new people but that first day of the cruise when you go in just after the life boat drill and see people that you have cruised with in the past is totally awesome....

We are always asking ourselves who we will find that we've sailed with in the past. Many times we are the youngest of the bunch...but you know age is only a number...I've sailed with people much older than me that could out walk/run me anytime....

There seems to be a lot of animosity towards what other people get...who cares....the question is are you happy with what you get? I know we are!

I like this new initiative because I always hear about people that really don't like to socialize and would rather have a quite drink or a drink with there friends that have no access to CL/DL...problem solved.

Rob and Ana:D

know it might sound crazy but being crammed into a room full of people makes people have to socialize and a nice full CL makes for a very interesting cruise. We love to sit with new people but that first day of the cruise when you go in just after the life boat drill and see people that you have cruised with in the past is totally awesome....

Rob and Ana:D

Great idea having the drinks on the Sea Pass, as often we have not been able to get a seat in the CL. Arriving at 4:45 PM is not something we like having to do, so this worked very well on our IOS cruise in Feb.

I believe that this new policy will wipe out any overflow lounge, as we have seen in the past.

Now, that venue can be used for something that will create income for the ship.

Let's see how it plays out. We will be aboard the NV in August, and were sent an email about the new program.

Rick

I believe that this new policy will wipe out any overflow lounge, as we have seen in the past.

Now, that venue can be used for something that will create income for the ship.

Let's see how it plays out. We will be aboard the NV in August, and were sent an email about the new program.

Rick

Rick, you've been MIA on our NOS roll call 12/7 - are you still sailing with us?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Sorry if this has been asked and answered.

When you order a drink at the bar, do you have to tell them that you are using the drink vouchers that are loaded on your card?? Thank you.

I would tell them upfront, just to avoid confusion. You may have requested a drink that is not part of the drink voucher program. I'd rather have them tell me that my voucher does not cover it, as opposed to getting charged.

I would tell them upfront, just to avoid confusion.

I agree.

As a suggestion, you may wish to patronize the same bar during happy hour and then the servers will get to know you and that'll make the process easier. We found that we got great service in Olive or Twist (yeah, right outside the Diamond Lounge) and the servers took great care of us during happy hour.

I would tell them upfront, just to avoid confusion. You may have requested a drink that is not part of the drink voucher program. I'd rather have them tell me that my voucher does not cover it, as opposed to getting charged.

Thanks. I'll make sure and tell them I am using the vouchers.

I agree.

As a suggestion, you may wish to patronize the same bar during happy hour and then the servers will get to know you and that'll make the process easier. We found that we got great service in Olive or Twist (yeah, right outside the Diamond Lounge) and the servers took great care of us during happy hour.

Good idea. Thanks.

I agree.

…………AND tip the servers every night. Tip well and show your thanks for receiving a "free" drink.

…………AND tip the servers every night. Tip well and show your thanks for receiving a "free" drink.

You will be surprised how the bar servers remember your name when you tip. I usually tip extra in cash with each drink. You get better service also.:D

Well we came off the IOS on last Saturday, and whilst we used the Diamond Lounge most days we did have a drink else where in the ship, and OH the hassle they told me that I'd already had my allocation (hadn't had ONE) this happened three times, and I almost had to convince them that I was telling the truth!! but got there in the end ! great cruise and fab staff!!!

NOTE you can't get the three drinks in the dining room..........

John

Guernsey