Diamond (and higher) drink vouchers are back on Independence of the Seas

Daghis

Hi,

Going to be on TA Liberty May 1st. Apparently this is a sold out cruise. Do you think RC will use the new drink vouchers on Liberty too? Must be a lot of Diamonds on this cruise.

Thanks,

NJ :)

I have no insider info but my best guess would be yes. The TA's always get a large number of D and above sailing on them.

I am personally very pleased with the vouchers and hope they are available on our next sailing. I like the cl but have only attended the diamond event once on my last 2 cruises. We travel with friends mostly who are not yet diamond or diamond plus. Being able to have our drinks with them is much better for us.

agree most heartily.:):)

For those of you who received vouchers, were you still able to go into the DL for drinks??

We prefer the lounge as we have met many new friends who we have subsequently taken other cruises with. If you cruise alone, this is one way to meet new people who are also frequent cruisers.

I'll throw out the first "is that a real question?" question.

My wife drinks Sprite in the DL while I have a cocktail. I see no mention of Soda anywhere on that bar list. If we go to an alternate venue besides the DL can she redeem her three pre-loaded drinks for a soda or ONLY the beverages listed on the menu?

I would think the soda would be a non-issue but you never know the way some weird rules get implemented onboard.

That's very similar to the list bar service had on the Explorer, which also didn't mention soda. My wife was able to get voucher soda at the venues that accepted the vouchers. What I can't tell you definitely if canned soda is available. But any soda usually used as a mixer is available.

That's very similar to the list bar service had on the Explorer, which also didn't mention soda. My wife was able to get voucher soda at the venues that accepted the vouchers. What I can't tell you definitely if canned soda is available. But any soda usually used as a mixer is available.

Perfecto! thanks.

FYI, tips are NOT included in the free drinks loaded on your seapass!

(Merion Mom started a whole thread on this topic, but I thought it should be mentioned here, too.)

For long-time Diamond Plus who know to tip in the CL (whether per drink or for the week), perhaps you know to also use the "additional tip" line on the bar receipts to provide a tip for this new voucher service.

Be aware, if you do NOT write in a tip, the waiter gets NOTHING (despite the fact that the receipt states the total includes a 15% gratuity). In the case of these free drinks, this is not an additional tip but the ONLY tip.

We are just off the Freedom and enjoyed the Diamond drinks in the bars. They were very strict about not making any 'fancy' drinks. For example, they would make me a Rum & Coke, but nothing with fruit juices like a Rum Punch. We added the tip to the $0 bill when we signed for it.

One thing I noticed is that they seemed to be keeping the Diamond drink voucher program as quiet as possible. Not a word was spoken or seen about it at the DL until I asked about it. Then he gave me bad info by telling me that it was only good for beer and wine. When we went to the bar and asked about it, they showed us the list that was posted a few posts earlier.

I for one am very happy with the program. As RCL loves to tell us, WE ARE ON VACATION. When in warm weather, I rarely get out of my shorts and t-shirts. The DL would not even let us in the door at 'cocktail' time unless we were dressed to the 'DR dress-code'. For the same reasons, we tend to eat at the WJ most of the time for dinner.

We are just off the Freedom and enjoyed the Diamond drinks in the bars. They were very strict about not making any 'fancy' drinks. For example, they would make me a Rum & Coke, but nothing with fruit juices like a Rum Punch. We added the tip to the $0 bill when we signed for it.

One thing I noticed is that they seemed to be keeping the Diamond drink voucher program as quiet as possible. Not a word was spoken or seen about it at the DL until I asked about it. Then he gave me bad info by telling me that it was only good for beer and wine. When we went to the bar and asked about it, they showed us the list that was posted a few posts earlier.

I for one am very happy with the program. As RCL loves to tell us, WE ARE ON VACATION. When in warm weather, I rarely get out of my shorts and t-shirts. The DL would not even let us in the door at 'cocktail' time unless we were dressed to the 'DR dress-code'. For the same reasons, we tend to eat at the WJ most of the time for dinner.

Were the drinks, while in the DL, also limited to 3 per night?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

They only let me in the DL for cocktail hour(s) with my casual shorts the first night and I only had two drinks before wandering off to the WJ. But, the DL does not ring the free drinks up on your sea pass like in the bar, so you can drink all you can hold and still stumble out the door at 8:30pm.... :)

Thanks in advance.

Last week on IOS, CL and DL were poured as many drinks as we desired, as usual. In the CL and DL, drinks were not counted and cards were not swiped.

OTOH, in other bars between 5 and 8:30, cards were swiped for each drink. In those locations, the three drink applied.

The CL and DL were often both crowded. A fun loving, talkative bunch, so both could be noisy. Sometimes it was nice to slip away to a quieter bar or catch some live music with our pre dinner drink.

I don't imagine that the bar staff are all that happy about the vouchers, since fewer people in the DL/CL mean lower tips for them.

I'll throw out the first "is that a real question?" question.

My wife drinks Sprite in the DL while I have a cocktail. I see no mention of Soda anywhere on that bar list. If we go to an alternate venue besides the DL can she redeem her three pre-loaded drinks for a soda or ONLY the beverages listed on the menu?

I would think the soda would be a non-issue but you never know the way some weird rules get implemented onboard.

I ordered and received cans of Sprite Zero at bars with no difficulty at all.

I ordered and received cans of Sprite Zero at bars with no difficulty at all.

Thanks; I don't think she is particular to can or fountain style; some nights in the DL she just loved to have a Shirley Temple. If this plan DOES end up rolling out she will be happy as a clam.

Thanks; I don't think she is particular to can or fountain style; some nights in the DL she just loved to have a Shirley Temple. If this plan DOES end up rolling out she will be happy as a clam.

....and they will be happy to make her a Shirley Temple. :)

....and they will be happy to make her a Shirley Temple. :)

Merion mom.

Do you know if they are continuing the vouchers on explorer. We sail on Thursday?? Have heard conflicting reports that trial has finished for now??? Hope not. Thanks.

I don't imagine that the bar staff are all that happy about the vouchers, since fewer people in the DL/CL mean lower tips for them.

On IOS, the CL and DL were full full (or nearly so) each time we visited between 5 and 6, then early diners filed out leaving some seats. that is basically the same pattern we witnessed before vouchers, so lounge staff may not be impacted.

had they not given vouchers, an overflow lounge (or two) would have been needed on my sailing. instead overflow went to bars.

The more and more I have been thinking about this, it finally dawned on me how this could be to their advantage. At first I assumed it would be by eventually reducing the drink selection and then number of drinks.

After much thought, i figured out that they are hoping to increase revenue on the rest of the ship. I.e. Shopping and gambling. When you are confined to the lounge that is a total loss of revenue, as you cannot spend there. This frees up, up to 1000+ diamonds on some of the higher diamond cruises to spend more money. Just like disney and the fast passes. Time in line or confined is lost revenue.