Diamond (and higher) drink vouchers are back on Independence of the Seas

Daghis

[quote name='molly361']I sent an email a few days asking saying I liked the idea and asking if it was going fleet wide.

I just got a phone call from the corporate office. They said this is a pilot program on select sailings in March and they are waiting to see how it is received.

It certainly can't hurt to folks to send emails or call to let them know you like the idea, if you do like it[/QUOTE]

I would like to send an email as well. What is the address?

We'll be Diamond early next year :)

If you're going to forward the idea of replacing the Diamond Event for ships without a lounge to just having the drinks on the seapass, perhaps suggest they are not restricted to a 'happy hour' but can be used any time during that day.

You only get three vouchers per day. When they're gone... they're gone! so why should it matter when you use them. (on ships without a lounge).

P.S.
I would like to experience the Diamond Event though.
I guess what you never had you cannot miss.

[quote name='icsys']We'll be Diamond early next year :)

If you're going to forward the idea of replacing the Diamond Event for ships without a lounge to just having the drinks on the seapass, perhaps suggest they are not restricted to a 'happy hour' but can be used any time during that day.

You only get three vouchers per day. When they're gone... they're gone! so why should it matter when you use them. (on ships without a lounge).

P.S.
I guess what you never had you cannot miss.[/QUOTE]

Same here. We are just Diamond now and never gone to a DL. Your on the IOS TA this year.? See you on board. I am doing the gift Exchange and the Red and White get together. Edited by Folk Singer

I just sent an email to RCI giving my opinion. Since many of our family and friends aren't Diamond, I think giving vouchers is a great idea so we can hang out with everyone and still enjoy some perks.

[COLOR="Red"]You only get three vouchers per day. When they're gone... they're gone! so why should it matter when you use them[/COLOR]. (on ships without a lounge).

P.S.
I guess what you never had you cannot miss.[/QUOTE]

I think that is a great idea. That would keep folks from feeling like they have to have 3 drinks in a short time frame in order to take advantage of the vouchers. A Longer time frame between drinks means less intoxication and is la win for both the passenger and the cruise line.

[quote name='Ocean Boy']I think that is a great idea. That would keep folks from feeling like they have to have 3 drinks in a short time frame in order to take advantage of the vouchers. A Longer time frame between drinks means less intoxication and is la win for both the passenger and the cruise line.[/quote]

I like the idea but doubt they'd go for it because it could potentially reduce daytime/impulse purchases.

My suggestion was for ships without a lounge because it is my understanding that they have staff do a hosted event in a lounge somewhere and serve beer, wine, soda, champagne. Just eliminate the setup and use of a room altogether and put it on the card.

[quote name='BecciBoo'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I'm sure we can all still go to the lounge...they wouldn't be spending $$$ putting in the lounge on Navigator, etc.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Some folks just want to be with their traveling partners who aren't diamond so they made the vouchers available.[/FONT][/SIZE][/quote]
Becci - we had this last week on the Navigator. It was in addition to the DL/CL. Really liked the fact we could leave the DL or CL go to the show and then get a drink anywhere before dinner.

[quote name='LMaxwell']I like the idea but [COLOR="Red"]doubt they'd go for it because it could potentially reduce daytime/impulse purchases[/COLOR].

My suggestion was for ships without a lounge because it is my understanding that they have staff do a hosted event in a lounge somewhere and serve beer, wine, soda, champagne. Just eliminate the setup and use of a room altogether and put it on the card.[/QUOTE]

Very good point.

P.S.
I guess what you never had you cannot miss.[/quote]

The idea behind this concept is to reduce crowding in the DL and CL during the nightly cocktail hour. If folks can use the vouchers at any time then everyone will still be back into those lounges between 5 - 8:30

[quote name='molly361']The idea behind this concept is to reduce crowding in the DL and CL during the nightly cocktail hour. If folks can use the vouchers at any time then everyone will still be back into those lounges between 5 - 8:30[/QUOTE]

We will be Diamond for the first time on our next cruise. We are always early dining since we have younger kids. I think that the idea of allowing the drinks over a longer period of time, if not all day, makes sense for those of us who are early dining. We cant use the drinks in the dining room and our dinner time covers much of the happy hour time.

Maybe if they extended the vouchers to 4:00 through 9:00 so we could have one before dinner, bring one drink to dinner and have one after dinner and still buy some through the day and still more later at night.

Those of us who are at dinner from 6:30 through 8:30 and getting ready for dinner from 5:30 through 6:30 at least have a chance to use our vouchers or the lounge with extended hours.

And I like that our kids get vouchers as well.

Gary

We will be Diamond for the first time on our next cruise. We are always early dining since we have younger kids. I think that the idea of allowing the drinks over a longer period of time, if not all day, makes sense for those of us who are early dining. We cant use the drinks in the dining room and our dinner time covers much of the happy hour time.

Maybe if they extended the vouchers to 4:00 through 9:00 so we could have one before dinner, bring one drink to dinner and have one after dinner and still buy some through the day and still more later at night.

Those of us who are at dinner from 6:30 through 8:30 and getting ready for dinner from 5:30 through 6:30 at least have a chance to use our vouchers or the lounge with extended hours.

And I like that our kids get vouchers as well.

Gary

It is worth asking for longer hours. Maybe they'll say yes:).

Otherwise you may decide to get ready before 5. Currently on non-voucher cruises, there are lots of people in the DL and CL from 5pm until start of early dining (often 6 pm); the crowd is often much thinner after people leave for early dining.

With vouchers you could get ready a bit sooner, have one before dinner, take one to dinner, and pick up a third after dinner before 8:30.

The idea behind this concept is to reduce crowding in the DL and CL during the nightly cocktail hour. If folks can use the vouchers at any time then everyone will still be back into those lounges between 5 - 8:30

This is, no doubt, the exact reason why the vouchers can only be used when lounges are open for the 'happy hour'... Makes perfect sense, which is why I said:-

We'll be Diamond early next year :)

P.S.

I guess what you never had you cannot miss.

The suggestion of a longer happy hour - 4:00 through 9:00 for vouchers - would be a good compromise for those on first seating, if not all day.

We were on the Independence on March 9. First nite in the Diamond lounge it was empty, probably because it did not open until 5:30pm. We have late dinner.

Well the rest of the week, If we went at 5:45 before the show, we could not find a seat. My husband is in a scooter full time and just no accessible seating available.

We had to sit outside and I felt very uncomfortable going in and getting the drinks and leaving. Even worse getting snacks.

So for us the vouchers would be perfect.

I wrote Crown and Anchor also.

We were on the Independence on March 9. First nite in the Diamond lounge it was empty, probably because it did not open until 5:30pm. We have late dinner.

Well the rest of the week, If we went at 5:45 before the show, we could not find a seat. My husband is in a scooter full time and just no accessible seating available.

We had to sit outside and I felt very uncomfortable going in and getting the drinks and leaving. Even worse getting snacks.

So for us the vouchers would be perfect.

I wrote Crown and Anchor also.

Being AB, I had not thought of how difficult the crowding might be for one utilizing a scooter:eek:. If you were to use vouchers, the choice of more accessible, less crowded venues might well out-weigh the loss of snacks. Of course, bringing snacks from a nearby spot (cafe promenade, for example) would be no worse than having to carry drinks and snacks out of the lounge.

I hope the voucher option is given to all of us, but, if not, I hope it is at least given to those with substantial mobility issues.

This is, no doubt, the exact reason why the vouchers can only be used when lounges are open for the 'happy hour'... Makes perfect sense, which is why I said:-

The suggestion of a longer happy hour - 4:00 through 9:00 for vouchers - would be a good compromise for those on first seating, if not all day.

We shall see what happens in a few weeks on the TA.

On the Explorer, the paper says that the vouchers CANNOT be used in the main dining room, Windjammer or...............or...........or.........darn it. Can't remember the third place. :(

No drinks in the theater.

I'm just off the Explorer today. I bought the premium package, and I probably will not purchase again because of the vouchers. I wish I had known!

The bars had a list of spirits allowed with the vouchers. I would like to see them allow drinks strictly based on price. For instance, you could get Baileys on the rocks, but you could not get a Sombrero, because Kahlua was not on the list. That really was the only problem we encountered.

We loved the vouchers! Instead of Maharajas, we sat in the Aquarium Bar and listened to the piano player. Definitely a positive improvement!

No drinks in the theater.

I'm just off the Explorer today. I bought the premium package, and I probably will not purchase again because of the vouchers. I wish I had known!

The bars had a list of spirits allowed with the vouchers. I would like to see them allow drinks strictly based on price. For instance, you could get Baileys on the rocks, but you could not get a Sombrero, because Kahlua was not on the list. That really was the only problem we encountered.

We loved the vouchers! Instead of Maharajas, we sat in the Aquarium Bar and listened to the piano player. Definitely a positive improvement!

Excellent idea. That would make things easier for the staff and passengers and I would think that it would work to RCI's benefit also. Maybe included drink pricing could be in line with what is included in the drink packages.

Edited by Ocean Boy

FYI, tips are NOT included in the free drinks loaded on your seapass!

(Merion Mom started a whole thread on this topic, but I thought it should be mentioned here, too.)

For long-time Diamond Plus who know to tip in the CL (whether per drink or for the week), perhaps you know to also use the "additional tip" line on the bar receipts to provide a tip for this new voucher service.

Be aware, if you do NOT write in a tip, the waiter gets NOTHING (despite the fact that the receipt states the total includes a 15% gratuity). In the case of these free drinks, this is not an additional tip but the ONLY tip.

For long-time Diamond Plus who know to tip in the CL (whether per drink or for the week), perhaps you know to also use the "additional tip" line on the bar receipts to provide a tip for this new voucher service.

Be aware, if you do NOT write in a tip, the waiter gets NOTHING (despite the fact that the receipt states the total includes a 15% gratuity). In the case of these free drinks, this is not an additional tip but the ONLY tip.

I don't know about the other ships that are also providing vouchers to Diamond members, but on Independence of the Seas, there were no slips to sign for the vouchered drinks.

Gratuity would have to be cash, or otherwise added to other purchased drinks.

On explorer this past week, bars provided receipts with value of drink, reduced by coupon to show zero balance due... plus "additional tip" line. This was true in pub, schooner, aquarium, and champagne bars.

Do not be fooled (as I was) by standard "15% gratuity included" printing at bottom of receipt... if you don't fill in the "additional tip" line, the bar server gets nothing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

I am personally very pleased with the vouchers and hope they are available on our next sailing. I like the cl but have only attended the diamond event once on my last 2 cruises. We travel with friends mostly who are not yet diamond or diamond plus. Being able to have our drinks with them is much better for us.

I was on the Indy with Mark - they just took your Seapass, ran it, and then returned it, no slip to sign. We did carry 1's & 2's with us and tip about $1 a drink, so actually not "free" (though we should/would tip in the Diamond Lounge, maybe just not per drink but per week).

We did get excellent service in the lounges regarding the Diamond drinks, but I think the cash tips were a factor ;)

Just a note that if you are planning on taking advantage of the drink vouchers, you might want to carry tipping cash depending on the ship. My understanding is the same applies to the drink packages.

I also love the idea of going by value and not just a list...it was a generous list, but if you don't drink the brand they are offering, there is no room for variation (ie another spirit besides Finlandia or Jack Daniels in the same price range).

I was on the Indy with Mark - they just took your Seapass, ran it, and then returned it, no slip to sign. We did carry 1's & 2's with us and tip about $1 a drink, so actually not "free" (though we should/would tip in the Diamond Lounge, maybe just not per drink but per week).

We did get excellent service in the lounges regarding the Diamond drinks, but I think the cash tips were a factor ;)

Just a note that if you are planning on taking advantage of the drink vouchers, you might want to carry tipping cash depending on the ship. My understanding is the same applies to the drink packages.I also love the idea of going by value and not just a list...it was a generous list, but if you don't drink the brand they are offering, there is no room for variation (ie another spirit besides Finlandia or Jack Daniels in the same price range).

Gratuity is factored into the price of the drink packages. If you want to tip extra that is fine but it is not necessary.

Hi,

Going to be on TA Liberty May 1st. Apparently this is a sold out cruise. Do you think RC will use the new drink vouchers on Liberty too? Must be a lot of Diamonds on this cruise.

Thanks,

NJ :)