Mariners Brunch

pepere133

Everyone who is at least a one star mariner is invited to lunch in the main dining room on a sea day. Two of those I have been to included a few words from the Captain but on the Alaska cruise he was a no-show.

The meal has only a couple of choices for the main course and no choice as to dessert.

At the end of the meal you can get your tile.

I will try to find some pictures and post them.

If you have any food allergies, make certain to alert the Front Desk or maître d' a few days prior to the luncheon so they can prepare a special plate for you. Since the choices always seem to include mushrooms to which I have a terrible reaction, the kitchen has always prepared another dish for me.

I avoided the luncheon for years until I learned that the chef can accommodate allergies, provided he knows about it ahead of time. We don't attend the Mariner luncheon every time we're aboard, only when we have nothing else to do, and I certainly don't order a special meal unless I definitely plan to attend.

My advice (for what's it worth): Go to at least one to experience it. Afterwards, you can decide if it's worth it in the future.

If you have never been to the Mariners Lunch, suggest you go to see what is about and whether you like it.

We have not been to one of the lunches in years. Find them just too rushed. They start to clear the table even before coffee...that is if you can flag a server to even serve you coffee. Agree with the the posting that it is a good day to have a relaxing lunch in the Lido.

I like the Mariner's Lunch because we end up sitting at a large table and meet more folks. The Captain gives a welcome, and they usually say how many 5 stars are on board or who has the most sea days, or little trivia like that. Also, it's the only place people wear their big "on board days" medallion!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like the Mariner's Lunch because we end up sitting at a large table and meet more folks. The Captain gives a welcome, and they usually say how many 5 stars are on board or who has the most sea days, or little trivia like that. Also, it's the only place people wear their big "on board days" medallion!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On our last cruise -- Westerdam -- we were the only ones who wore our medallions to the awards ceremony. Even the 4 people who were members of the Presidents Club didn't wear any medals of any sort.

When we did go to the luncheons, the captain, hotel manager and CD would come into the dining room, say a couple of words and get out as quick as they could.

We just returned from a Caribbean cruise on the Eurodam, went to the Mariner's brunch primarily to get a tile....and no sign of tiles at all. We assumed this was another cut back.

Call the Mariner Society at 1-800-547-9139 and tell them that you attended the Mariner's Brunch and didn't get your tiles.

We just returned from a Caribbean cruise on the Eurodam, went to the Mariner's brunch primarily to get a tile....and no sign of tiles at all. We assumed this was another cut back.

What no tiles????

There goes my coffee table design!

I also went to the most recent Eurodam Mariner's brunch (the 11 am one, there was another one at 1 PM). We only got the tiles at the end of the brunch, they were distributed near the entrance. They actually ran out of tiles and so we had to wait a few minutes for a resupply.

I also went to the most recent Eurodam Mariner's brunch (the 11 am one, there was another one at 1 PM). We only got the tiles at the end of the brunch, they were distributed near the entrance. They actually ran out of tiles and so we had to wait a few minutes for a resupply.

We were at the 11 AM brunch as well. When we left there were still a lot of people in the dining room. I looked when we left to see if they were being handed out but saw no sign of any tiles and no one mentioned to wait for a new supply. On previous cruises they were handed out in the dining room so when there was no tile to be seen, we thought they were another budget cut. I will take Krazy Kruiser's advice and contact the Mariner Society

Our last cruise was the 56 day first half of the current WC. The Mariner's Lunch was on day 54, one of two sea days between Shanghai and Hong Kong. It was an excellent lunch, a few people were recognized for their number of days on HAL. We received our 500 day medallion and had our picture taken with the Captain, and tiles were delivered to all of us at our tables. Probably because the different segments of the WC, we received an invitation to the affair; thus it was a pleasant and orderly affair.

Every few months the ships have been changing the menu a little bit

I wonder if Alaska cruise will have Pac. NW / Alaska theme.

We will go and see as this would be first time (2nd HAL cruise). This "crush at the door" thing is worrying with wife's wheelchair. I take it you just see where you want so rather than rush to a two-stop like we have for dinner we would probably opt for a large table and meet some people.