Belize Ideas

sungirl10

Hello,

I am going solo on the Glory in August. I have most of the ports figured out but I am stuck on Belize. I think mainly because none of the excursions are standing out to me if you know what I mean! So I am curious what some other solo travelers have done in Belize. I have never been so this is a new port for me. I was thinking of maybe just get off the ship and wonder around near the port. I have beach or snorkeling planned for the other 3 including the Cozumel barhop which I am so excited about. lol. So I am thinking low key may be the way to go.

Also, Taking a taxi solo in grand Cayman or cozumel is safe, correct? I have no idea why I am worried, I travel for work by myself all the time and have taken a taxi in several big cities some not so nice all the time by myself. I am thinking both may be safer then some parts of the US. Lol

So I am curious what some other solo travelers have done in Belize. I have never been so this is a new port for me. I was thinking of maybe just get off the ship and wonder around near the port.

Also, Taking a taxi solo in grand Cayman or cozumel is safe, correct?

Do not wander around by yourself in Belize. Their jungles are very beautiful, but Belize City, where the tenders come in, is dangerous. (It's a tender port.) The port area is surrounded by a metal fence and security guards, so that speaks for itself. Stick with a ship excursion only, or with a very reputable independent tour. There's the ever-so-popular cave tubing, but there are others that might be within your taste.

Grand Cayman is very safe. It's a British territory. You will have no problems taking taxis or wandering around on your own. (It's also a tender port, but with a shorter tendering distance than Belize.) Just keep your usual city street smarts.

Cozumel is somewhat less safe, but still OK. (It's a pier port, with no tenders.) Stay within the populated tourist areas; do not go far off the beaten path. There usually many people on the streets, both tourists and locals, and there's always police present. If you're in port after dark, stay near your ship.

I'm a NY guy and I've always enjoyed Belize by getting away from the port area. Belize City is kinda dumpy and poor, and as mentioned it's probably not a good idea to stroll around, at the very least you'll be hounded by people looking for handouts. There are some nice excursions you can do, lots of people go cave tubing, but if you want to see ancient Mayan structures, try Xanantunich. It's a very large excavation over several acres, and one could still scale the highest structure and view a magnificent landscape from up high. Altun Ha is closer to the port, but is much smaller and has been shoddily repaired. Belize of course is noted for its snorkeling, I would really recommend that except you said you've already booked that activity elsewhere.

A Taxi can take you from the port in Cozumel to the main town for $7USD. The walk along the sea has many jewelry stores and pitchmen trying to get you into their shops. There is a main town square one block away from the water, and off that are several restaurants frequented by cruise passengers. If you are doing the around the isle barhop, I would suggest you go back to the ship right from the excursion. Never ever wander anywhere, at home or abroad, if somewhat tipsy.

Cayman will be the safest venue to be out and about, it's so British it doesn't seem Caribbean while you stroll its streets.

I've also been to Belize City solo. I took a ship's excursion to a Mayan Ruins (I forget the name at the moment) and thought it was great! (I'm into archeology, etc.)

The FENCED/SECURED port area itself is great, with shops, restaurants, craft booths, etc. But I would not recommend going outside of the security area on foot unless you are ready for a gritty experience. Be prepared to confront poverty, aggressive panhandling, alleys and doorways that stink of urine, and the like. (Now that said, I'm sure others will comment that it's a perfectly wonderful place and not much different than downtown "anywhere" in the US...so balance the comments and make up your own mind.)

On one hand, I think it is something that all Americans should experience (and I'm glad I did). But on the other, maybe a vacation cruise isn't the time for an object lesson in humility...

Edited by mtwingcpa

Thank You all for your input. This really helpful. I don't know how I would cruise without cruise critic boards. lol!

I forgot Belize was tendered, so I will probably stick with an excursion. I may end up snorkeling there as well. The other island I am going to is Roatan and I heard snorkeling is beautiful there as well.

I have been to cozumel a few times before but I have managed to have a travel companion for tose times, I had done the downtown area as suggested above, Mr Sanchos and Nachi Como. I thought the Barhop would be different to see the other side, but I am having my doubts with it not being a ship sponsored excursion. Oh well, I will figure it out I have time. I know I will fun regardless.

Thank You all for your input. This really helpful. I don't know how I would cruise without cruise critic boards. lol!

I forgot Belize was tendered, so I will probably stick with an excursion. I may end up snorkeling there as well. The other island I am going to is Roatan and I heard snorkeling is beautiful there as well.

I have been to cozumel a few times before but I have managed to have a travel companion for tose times, I had done the downtown area as suggested above, Mr Sanchos and Nachi Como. I thought the Barhop would be different to see the other side, but I am having my doubts with it not being a ship sponsored excursion. Oh well, I will figure it out I have time. I know I will fun regardless.

In Belize I've done the Geoffs Cay snorkeling, the Altun-Ha river excursion and the cave tubing and enjoyed all of them. The port area has been developed nicely with plenty of shopping/eating/drinking available if you do decide just to wander around - but there's no beach.

Roatan has very good shore snorkeling at Tabyana Beach and for a solo - the excursion price is about the same as if you try to get there yourself. I didn't find good snorkeling at Mahogany Bay but its a nice beach.

I love the far side of Cozumel and although I haven't taken the bar hop tour (I've gone by rental car) - I'd encourage you to do it. My personal favorite spot is the Bob Marley Bar...so I hope thats one of your stops.

I'll second Morrieb1 on snorkeling off Tabyana Beach, just walk right into the water, swim towards the guides in the kayaks and you will be over the reef. I've liked it so much there that I went for a week at Infinity Bay, the hotel next to Tabyana. Going back for another week next May too. After snorkeling, get a lb or two of Honduran coffee in the gift shop, it's super cheap and delicious.

Another excursion in Roatan is Little French Key, which also has excellent snorkeling over a beautiful coral garden, but you have to take a short 5 or 10 min boat hop around the isle to be in position. There's a bit of a zoo on LFK and you will get lunch there too.

If you only want to do 2 snorkel excursions, Belize and Roatan are my top choices.

Your topic is Belize Ideas.

While I've traveled solo in large US cities on business many times, I would still be extremely careful in Belize. Belize is a place I absolutely take an excursion offered through the cruise line even with my DH. ;)

LuLu

I took the excursion to Bacab Eco Park and took the bike ride option. It was very enjoyable and tour includes lunch and couple of hours to enjoy the beautiful pool area, short medicinal plant themed nature trail, and bar/restaurant. There were also options offered for a nature park escape (no scheduled activity), horseback riding, or kayaking.

Hello,

I am going solo on the Glory in August. I have most of the ports figured out but I am stuck on Belize. I think mainly because none of the excursions are standing out to me if you know what I mean!

Also, Taking a taxi solo in grand Cayman or

Cozumel is safe, correct? I have no idea why I am worried, I travel for work by myself all the time and have taken a taxi in several big cities some not so nice all the time by myself. I am thinking both may be safer then some parts of the US. Lol

Hi,

I am a solo cruiser as well and have been to these ports a few times. I agree with what everyone has already added.

Belize is a beautiful country once you get out of Belize City. The cave tubing and Mayan ruin excursions are the best. I would book with a company or Carnival before arriving so you can do some research on the best ones. The port area is pretty small and has the usual suspects for stores and bars. I would not wander around the city alone.

The bar hop on Cozumel is a great time and have made some good friends both times on it. By the third stop everyone is both drunk and one big group of friends. I have been twice now and can't wait to go again. Usually the meeting spot is the mall downtown. When you leave the Carnival port area make sure you let the cab driver know you want the mall. Last time I got grouped with a few others to share the cab and the driver took us all the way to the far end of downtown and I had a decently long walk back to the mall.

I have never felt in any danger, just being alert and doing some research in advance helps. Hope this helps.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Have to agree on the Bar Hop! I've gone 4 times and always have a blast, even though I'm drinking water by the 3rd bar!

In Belize I'd go through the cruise line--both times I didn't I almost missed the ship. Cave tubing is fun although it's gotten very crowded. I did the horseback riding and resort thing through Carnival and it was so-so. The Land Rover/cave thing was fun, did it twice. I don't know why so many seem to enjoy AltunHa as the ruins are not much to see and the open boat ride is hot and boring.

Belize is not a place to walk around outside the port and there isn't much at the port.

Mr. Sanchos was great fun! They waited on me like I was the only one there.

Thank you all for your input! I actually booked the Bar Hop today. I am so excited! And I agreed I loved Mr. Sanchos and will so go back, I don't recommend Nachi, but maybe I was there on an off day as I know some have loved it.

For Belize, I went with the Gallow's Point Catarman Snorkel Tour and Roatan I am going to do the Tabayana Beach break. grand Vayman I am going to wing, I have never been to Seven mile, so I will probably just take a cab over.

Thanks Again, I am so excited!

• 2 weeks later...

I can't imagine what you ate at Nachi that was gross. I had spectacular fish and shrimp there a couple of hours after our waiter insisted on bringing us loaded nachos on the beach for an appetizer. Our waiter couldn't do enough for us. $55 for six hours of unlimited drinking (the rum punches were delicious) and eating was a great deal. No, there were no beach toys and it was quiet but I would not consider any other beach club in Cozumel.

Hello,

I am going solo on the Glory in August. I have most of the ports figured out but I am stuck on Belize. I think mainly because none of the excursions are standing out to me if you know what I mean! So I am curious what some other solo travelers have done in Belize. I have never been so this is a new port for me. I was thinking of maybe just get off the ship and wonder around near the port. I have beach or snorkeling planned for the other 3 including the Cozumel barhop which I am so excited about. lol. So I am thinking low key may be the way to go.

Also, Taking a taxi solo in grand Cayman or cozumel is safe, correct? I have no idea why I am worried, I travel for work by myself all the time and have taken a taxi in several big cities some not so nice all the time by myself. I am thinking both may be safer then some parts of the US. Lol

We were also a bit unsure about which excursions to do in Belize, and last night, we finally decided on the Gallows snorkeling excursion! It sounds like so much fun!!