Regal Princess Night Sky Lounge

azdmelani

Seatrade Insider has reported today that Princess plans to introduce "Night Sky Lounge" onboard REGAL PRINCESS beginning with her Caribbean sailings. It will be one night during the cruise and located in the Retreat Pool area. It will offer a Miami "South Beach" style experience with a DJ spinning, performing bartenders, glowing drinks, and special pool/lounge lighting.

Here is the catch … "there will be a nominal charge to enter the Night Sky Lounge".

Charging for a nightclub? That might actually be a first on any cruise line. Sounds like this concept is trying to copy NCL's White Hot party or Royal Caribbean's White Party. Both of these events are also held in outdoor spaces, but the difference being there is no charge to attend on either cruise line.

Definitely a different direction for Princess.

It would be great if nobody was willing to pay for it. Princess would have to re-think that policy very quickly. Of course I would guess there will be plenty of people who will pay but it would be very cool if everybody boycotted this new fee-based activity.

I can't imagine paying to enter a nightclub to buy drinks! Unless the drinks will be complimentary after the nominal fee. Somehow I don't think so! :eek:

Cheers, Denise

I don't think the drinks will be included. The wording seems to indicate the charge will be for entrance to the nightclub. Sounds to me like a way to charge for a nice night club instead of putting a good nightclub on the Regal to begin with.

I don't know if I would pay. I guess it would depend on the price. For $10 I might want to satisfy my curiosity. For $20, not so much.

I would imagine the cover charge is to keep the crowd down to a manageable number. It also can get very windy up there, having experienced it on the Royal (not the night club thing). If they charge and have a coupon for a drink or two, maybe. Not sure if this will work but I think a younger demographic may like it, being used to paying a cover for night clubs.

It will be interesting to see how long this will be in existence considering the lack of participation in free venues with the "hip" music DJs on our last couple of cruises. There were special party dancing nights in Skywalkers and in the Explorers Lounges on both the Ruby and the Star and none of them were well attended nor did they last very long into the night. I may go one time to satisfy my curiosity on our December Regal cruise.

Overall, I'm thinking "nominal fee" equals nominal participation. Only time will tell.

I think the idea will bomb. :(

Personally I hope you're right. I don't like the idea of having to pay a "cover charge" to use a nightclub space on a cruise ship.

Paying a cover charge to enter a hot South Beach club is one thing. It's quite another to pay to use a converted pool space on a mass-market cruise ship.

Edited by eroller

Personally I hope you're right. I don't like the idea of having to pay a "cover charge" to use a nightclub space on a cruise ship.

Paying a cover charge to enter a hot South Beach club is one thing. It's quite another to pay to use a converted pool space on a mass-market cruise ship.

It actually reminds me of applying a cover charge to utilize Skywalkers.

Bad idea.

It will be interesting to see how long this will be in existence considering the lack of participation in free venues with the "hip" music DJs on our last couple of cruises. There were special party dancing nights in Skywalkers and in the Explorers Lounges on both the Ruby and the Star and none of them were well attended nor did they last very long into the night. I may go one time to satisfy my curiosity on our December Regal cruise.

Overall, I'm thinking "nominal fee" equals nominal participation. Only time will tell.

Like I said on another thread, imagine charging to get in Skywalkers. :rolleyes:

It actually reminds me of applying a cover charge to utilize Skywalkers.

Bad idea.

Agreed.

While other cruise lines do have a charge for certain entertainment venues (think concerts on Carnival and dinner shows on NCL), none to my knowledge have attempted a cover charge for a night club. It's unprecedented and I hope it flops. Having sailed on many Princess cruises, they are not exactly known as the party till dawn cruise line, which makes it even more puzzling that they would attempt to charge a cover. I don't think this event would get overcrowded even if it were free. It will have limited appeal on Princess. I've experienced the same style of event on NCL and Royal Caribbean, both of which are geared more to this type of activity than Princess, and neither events were overcrowded and that was with a zero cover charge.

Not sure what Princess is thinking??

I wonder if there is always a bar in that location or are they bringing back Issac and his little table with a few bottles? :eek:

I know for certain I wouldn't pay for this. If it's HIP as advertised it definitely isn't for me. Probably has snazzy lights and loud hip hop "music". I can't really even handle Skywalker's in the evening because it's so dang loud and I tend to not like the "music" much.

I'm not what one would describe as hip at any time. I wasn't even particularly cool back when I was young (even though I had very long hair and muttonchop sideburns. :D) I'm better described these days as Grandpa. (Best dang job I ever had!)

When I listen to Sirius radio I tend to go between stations like 40's on 4, 50's on 5, 60's on 6, 70's on 7, Classic Rewind, Classic Vinal, Deep Tracks, etc. Hip Hop isn't on my radar...