Red Light District - Amsterdam

First time to Amsterdam, staying two additional nights after a river cruise. What is so special about the Red Light District in Amsterdam, if I don't want to sample any of the wares? So I can gawk? Is it like the old 42nd Street and Times Square in NYC? It seems icky to me. :D

First time to Amsterdam, staying two additional nights after a river cruise. What is so special about the Red Light District in Amsterdam, if I don't want to sample any of the wares? So I can gawk? Is it like the old 42nd Street and Times Square in NYC? It seems icky to me. :D

I have to say, I wasn't much interested, but did find it "interesting". DH and I were on a walking tour and were intrigued that the "ladies" were standing in large windows in their scanty panties (and this was during the day, not at night). Just a different side of Amsterdam to experience!

Cole

During the day you will see less "ladies"compared with the evening and night. The area itself is rather nice with some canals, some cafe's, nice to walk around etc.

NEVER take a photos of the ladies.

A nice historic place is the small church: lord at the attic - http://www.opsolder.nl/eng/home.php

During the day you will see less "ladies"compared with the evening and night. The area itself is rather nice with some canals, some cafe's, nice to walk around etc.

NEVER take a photos of the ladies.

A nice historic place is the small church: lord at the attic - http://www.opsolder.nl/eng/home.php

Yes, Our Lord in the Attic is very interesting to visit. An audio guide is included with your admission.

Also located in the Red Light district is the Oude Kerk - another interesting visit.

Edited by dogs4fun

The red light disctrict is the historically oldest part of the city. Like Ine already said, many sights. Also, Chinatown is in the red light district, if you are in for a good chinese meal or a visit to the buddist temple. The university of Amsterdam is located just on the outskirts of the red light district. All the students safely walk there from the central station. In recent years, there has been a bit of a clean up operation, to get rid of those elements who cause nuisance. On the whole, the area is not unsafe at all. If you are not interested in the "goods on offer", that is not a problem. Nobody will bother you. The only no-no is taking pictures of the ladies behind the windows.

We went on the canal cruise when we were in Amsterdam. You will cruise along side of it and can see the "ladies" in the windows. As someone said, "no picture taking allowed!":D

There are three Red Light Districts, none of which are of interest other than historical. However, I find the most interest is watching the tourists looking around (23 years of several visit per year).

Not ALL canal tours go through the RLD which most people mean when they say RLD- De Wallen.

I haven't been in Amsterdam in about 45 years, since my time in the Air Force, stationed in Germany. As a single GI, the first place we headed, on arriving in Amsterdam, was the Red Light district. Now we are talking mid 60s and as American's it was simply an amazing area to see. I guess what amazed us the most, was the different women sitting in the windows. You found every kind of woman, from young to quite old, from oriental to Black, and of all shapes and sizes. You know, different strokes for different folks. :D:D:D

I'll bet the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Cheers

Len

I haven't been in Amsterdam in about 45 years, since my time in the Air Force, stationed in Germany. As a single GI, the first place we headed, on arriving in Amsterdam, was the Red Light district. Now we are talking mid 60s and as American's it was simply an amazing area to see. I guess what amazed us the most, was the different women sitting in the windows. You found every kind of woman, from young to quite old, from oriental to Black, and of all shapes and sizes. You know, different strokes for different folks. :D:D:D

I'll bet the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Cheers

Len

In the old days it seems RLD was more friendly for tourists but also for the ladies. Nowadays many of the ladies come from abroad (e.g. eastern europe) and are being exploited. One of the reasons why the city closed some of the windows. Still it not dangerous to go there as long as you donot take photos of the ladies and donot stand and look into their windows for a certain time not intending to use their services.

Here is an interesting video of Amsterdam. Watch until the end... important message. I have been there and walked the streets three years ago. it is very safe but I found it sad. Some of the girls looked under age. Like my 14 year old daughter, so I do know what that age looks like.

• 4 weeks later...

Amsterdam is a great city. My only visit was during a one day port stop - much too short. I will be gong back next month and spending 4 days in Amsterdam before taking a river cruise. The Red Light District is a must see and we are taking an evening tour. I am looking forward to learning more about the history of the area during our tour. I expect the RLD to have a completely different atmosphere at night than when I walked through the neighborhood in the middle of the afternoon. It's my DH's first visit to Amsterdam and I know it will be a real eye opener for this country boy - he thought NYC was bad....wait until he experiences Amsterdam! I don't mean this in a negative way but Amsterdam can be a shock if you don't know what to expect.

Marion

I thought they sold coffee AND pot - you also have to be careful of their cookies ( cannabis cookies) or you will never find your way back to the boat! LOL

We are also sailing on Avalon - I didn't see the RLD tour listed on our excursion list. We get on the ship on Saturday afternoon and sail on Sunday afternoon. I was looking at booking this tour for Saturday night at 10PM:

http://www.randyroysredlighttours.com/mainpage.htm

It's 15 Euros - how much is the ships tour? When is your cruise? We leave on May 24.

Marion

Thanks, I found the listing for the tour. I plan on taking one of the canal cruises at night because I hear they are wonderful. We will also go on one of the canal cruises during the day because they will be totally different. I don't like the ship tours because you can't linger, stop for photos or go down a quaint little street off the canal because it looks like a great photo opportunity. That being said I will consider this ship tour but I have more of an adventurous spirit and hate being herded on and off buses. The cost doing a tour ourselves (RLD and evening canal cruise) will be only 4 Euro less than the ship tour. Oh, so many decisions.

Marion

When I checked the Avalon site the tour was listed, now it has disappeared from their site. It might be booked. I contacted our TA to see if it is still available. Thanks again for the information.

Marion

Thanks for the replies. I think it is worth looking around if we come across it in our wanderings but a special tour isn't necessary.

We didnt realise we were in the area when we happened upon it during the day and again of a night..it really was on the red lights that ...I found it quite interesting as its not something we would see readily here in Australia but its not something I'd hurry back to, Amsterdam has many more interesting areas. But we've been there and done that! ..well seen that! :-) Its all part of the Amsterdam experience, along with the coffee shops..hashish cookie and plant shops..sex shops etc..but Amsterdam is much nore than this. Museums, parks, restaurants, canals..loved it! :-)