More Questions on Mr Sanchos in Cozumel

gwb3636

I have read many rave reviews and have a question. If you do the AI some reviewser stated they had to wait long periods for food or drinks. So instead Can you go up to a bar there and get the drink or do you have to order it through a waiter from your seat on the beach? Same with food - can you go to a counter or do you have to place your order with the waiter. Are you assigned a waiter - and last do you tip him every time or before you leave? Or and one more question - if you choose not to do the AI cause at most you can drink 2 beers and are not much of an eater are you treated differently and hassled to do AI (as some old reviews stated)? All responses appreciated. THANKS

when i was last there, i did notice that table service - at the tables with umbrellas on the beach WAS kind of slow. i don't know how they assign waiters and such but apparently we didn't click with ours.

we just went to the bar and ordered our drinks there (and eventually basically moved there anyway). they also have a swim up bar to the same primary bar for the ai section.

in my opinion it's up to you how you want to tip. but i do recall the bartenders 'suggesting' to tip somewhat frequently. i think they at least would prefer an 'as you go' model and they have a wood tip box with a slot in it.

i've never done the non-ai so can't say for sure, but i do know that they segregate ai / non ai in different sections. i'd say that the ai section had better amenities in terms of the cabana beds, tables / chairs with umbrellas etc.

We sat by the pool 3 weeks ago and Elvis was our waiter, he was super fast, and I didn't tip him til we left. Best service of our entire cruise. Lee were AI, paid in advance .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the AI side last February and had Elvis as well. He was fast and wouldn't let us tip him until the end. We loved him. They had a menu you could order off of but they also had a a buffet of various nacho fixings and burgers that you could help yourself on. We would do Mr. Sanchos again in a heartbeat.

We were at Mr Sancho's in May and purchased the AI. We didn't wait long for drinks or food, but we were the only ship in port that day so that might have made a difference. Also, it had some changes from when we were there in September 2013. They had a bigger buffet with a larger seating area, and they asked us to tip at the end of the day.

We ordered coconut shrimp off the menu and got our own salsa from the buffet.

We've been to several AI's in Cozumel and we prefer Mr Sancho's.

Edited by prissihawg

I posted a negative review here and on TripAdvisor.

We did the AI, but due to my grandmother being in a wheelchair we were sat on the non-AI side in the covered area near the kitchen. When I counted upon our return to port, there were 7 ships in town include either the Oasis or Allure. Unfortunately the manager did not start turning people away until it was too late. As I mentioned in my review, I actually had to get in line to complain.

I really fault the manager for everything. He got in over his head and didn't know how to get out. The food was good and the drinks were good, just getting either was difficult.

All that said, if I frequently went to Cozumel I would probably give them another chance at some point. The location and layout were nice and there was a lot to do. However, we maybe cruise every other year and our next one won't be to Cozumel. So on our next return will probably try something else. I would look strongly at reviews after March 2013 and try to see if someone had a good or bad experience when several ships visited.

We go to Nachi Cocom which is just down from Mr Sanchos. It is an AI too......$55pp.

They only take 100 people so it is NEVER crowded. They have a nice pool with a swimup bar too as well as loungers and thatched roof umbrellas on the beach.

We were lucky enough to get Carlos again and our service and food was fabulous!! He said one appetizer/one entree/one dessert per person, but every time we go he brings us as much as we want.

Just wanted to give you guys another option if you were wanting a quieter non-crowded atmosphere....

We have been there two times ( nov 13', aight 14'). Nothing but great things to say. We actually had to tell them to slow down on drinks as we had another before we finished each round.

The food is great. We loved the nacho fixings at the buffet, and the fajitas are awesome. The coconut shrimp is very good as well. Although we don't like all the drinks they serve we have always found a favorite.

The beach is excellent, the water clean, clear, and refreshing. I would recommend anyone to go to Mr Sanchos, but only you can decide if you will eat/drink enough to justify to $50.

We went for Spring Break (in April) and it didn't seem crowded at all!!! Mr. Sanchos was the highlight of our trip!!! We LOVED it!!! I ordered the whole fish off the menu which would have been $22 if I wasn't an all-inclusive person. It was soooo yummy!! I thought the food was great and so did all our friends who went with us. I would go back in a HEARTBEAT if I could!! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We went there in may, was a real good time, food and drinks were great -- keep in mind its real Mexican food ... they have a buffet, also a swim up bar, and we got a table right at pool, ordered drinks, went swimming, gave a 10.00 tip, later gave him 5.00, later another 5.00 ... and wife gave another 5.00 i think ... we were there like 5 - 6 hrs i believe ..if you go, definitely try the coconut shrimp .. best ever ... also they will grille you a whole fish if you want, i had the steak fajitas, coconut shrimp, we had quesadillas and beans and rice ..and ask -- they have real Mexican hot sauce .... it will make you drink alot of Margaritas ... lol

115.jpg.f3c23d32ea413b823f82f6ba7bc14c4e.jpg

This ... and it gets REALLY crowded.

We were there last year on one of Cozumel's busiest days of the year. Over 19000 passengers. Mr Sanchos had a 200 person limit and with the amount of space it did not seem crowded at all. Great service! Can't wait to go back.

I have read many rave reviews and have a question. If you do the AI some reviewser stated they had to wait long periods for food or drinks. So instead Can you go up to a bar there and get the drink or do you have to order it through a waiter from your seat on the beach? Same with food - can you go to a counter or do you have to place your order with the waiter. Are you assigned a waiter - and last do you tip him every time or before you leave? Or and one more question - if you choose not to do the AI cause at most you can drink 2 beers and are not much of an eater are you treated differently and hassled to do AI (as some old reviews stated)? All responses appreciated. THANKS

We were just there in December, so I'll answer based on our experience.

We had our own personal waiter (as did everyone else there that day) and he would run back and forth constantly to bring drinks and food. However, you can also go get your own food and drinks as well. We did both depending on where we were located at the time. Usually if we were at the beach area or at our table, we'd let him get the drinks. If we were over by the pool (which is where the bar is), then we'd get our drinks. Or, if we just happen to be passing by the bar area on the way to the restroom, we'd stop. :D

When we were there, you could order food from the waiter and they also had a buffet set up. We did both. :p

We tipped as we left.

Since we only did the AI side, I can not comment on how you are treated on the non-AI side. However, we did spend some time over on that side and we really liked it over there. We were never hasseled when we were over there at all, but then again, we had AI bands on too and the staff might have noticed that.

I did a complete review of our day there with TONS of pictures from that day. It's listed in my signature line if you are interested. :)

I have been here several times. Tip them early and they return much faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Agreed, once we are served/attended to by a friendly staff member who is attentive and plesant we almost always extend an appropriate gratuity once the first round of beverages or food is served. In my experience, it shows we appreciate the steps they are taking to make our visit relaxing and shows them we will not take advantage of the hard work they providing us

We were just there in December, so I'll answer based on our experience.

Since we only did the AI side, I can not comment on how you are treated on the non-AI side. However, we did spend some time over on that side and we really liked it over there. We were never hasseled when we were over there at all, but then again, we had AI bands on too and the staff might have noticed that.

Just there earlier in the week. On the non-AI side, you cannot get food and drinks from anyone except a waiter, my wife tried.

Edited by zdcatc12