Travel Insurance

lele100

There is no average. If you pick the cruise line provided insurance the pricing is based strictly on the cost of the cabin. If you get an independent insurance policy outside of the cruise line it can be based on the costs of cabin/hotel/airfare etc total, along with your age and State of residency.

Other items such as what type of coverage and perils you want will also affect the policy costs.

Edited by SHayesShip

We always buy Allienz insurance. It averages about $130. for a balcony cabin and airfare.

It's all based on your estimated cost of the trip.

For most insurance companies it is your age as a factor as well as the cost of the trip.

In my experience, the big cost difference comes down to whether you purchase cancellation insurance or not. DH & I always get medical-only coverage, which usually runs $40-something for a 7-day cruise (we just paid $43 for a 10-day cruise). If I add cancellation insurance the price is always closer to $100.

Lots of factors figure into the cost. Age, cost of trip, "primary" or "secondary" coverage, extras that are covered by policy (i.e., "cancel for any reason","loss of job" coverage etc), what is covered overall (i.e., pre/post cruise hotel, airfare, car rentals etc), and who is the carrier/underwriter. You can Google "cruise trip insurance" and find many links....some will let you compare different "levels" of coverage/policy side by side in terms of what is covered and the associated cost.

Edited by buddylover

We fly from Wisconsin so I usually estimate cabin plus air and it usually comes to around 130 dollars. We've never used it (but are using it now for our land vacation that we took in September when our flight was canceled for the fire at the Chicago airport). It's a very small amount for my mind to be at ease.