Flying this Friday night to Venice for away

Ok, this weather in NJ is starting to freak me out. Flying in this Friday to Venice, because I couldn't come earlier because of work. Supposed to fly from Newark @ 6:55p and land Saturday morning in Venice at 9:00a. Now I am seeing all kinds of possible heavy rain Friday in Newark. Some forecasts calling for totals up to 3"!

Rhapsody leaves 5:00p Venice time Saturday. I know we can board Rhapsody until 3:30p, but that only leaves about a 5 hour delay margin of error.

If I miss that, will I be able to board in Croatia? Assuming I can get a flight there from Venice? I tried calling United to find out about leaving Thursday night, and they only want $3,800 for two people to change the flight day:o:mad:

Maybe I'm just being overly worrisome, but I thought I remembered that flights overnight won't leave later than 11:55p? I could totally be making that up though.

Anyhow, anyone with any experience with something like this?

That 11:55pm rule you heard is not true. I left after 1am from JFK for Ireland just last month after a 3 hour delay (thanks, Delta!)

Well that's a slight relief at least. Although I don't think I'd be able to make the 3:30p deadline to board Rhapsody if we left much after midnight.

Is there any shot Rhapsody would let me on if we arrived at 4 for example, or is it 3:30p or bust?

On a side note, all this stress is not worth it .... never not arriving at least a full day early again :(

I'm pretty sure that if they advise you that you must be onboard by 3:30PM for a 5:00PM sailing that is the cutoff time. I'm not trying to ruin your vacation but you really should have made arrangements to fly out at least a day earlier, got a hotel room in Venice on Friday night. You would have been able to get over the jet lag, have a restful sleep, a nice breakfast, and be ready to enjoy your cruise. When I was thirty years younger I would fly from Newark, New Jersey on embarkation day to either Fort Lauderdale or Miami and never missed a Caribbean sailing. At my age now I would never fly down day of. As for Europe, I personally need at least a day or two to get over jet lag. I wish you luck that you make it on time.

I'm pretty sure that if they advise you that you must be onboard by 3:30PM for a 5:00PM sailing that is the cutoff time. I'm not trying to ruin your vacation but you really should have made arrangements to fly out at least a day earlier, got a hotel room in Venice on Friday night. You would have been able to get over the jet lag, have a restful sleep, a nice breakfast, and be ready to enjoy your cruise. When I was thirty years younger I would fly from Newark, New Jersey on embarkation day to either Fort Lauderdale or Miami and never missed a Caribbean sailing. At my age now I would never fly down day of. As for Europe, I personally need at least a day or two to get over jet lag. I wish you luck that you make it on time.

That was definitely the intention, but at the time it just didn't work with my work schedule. I don't care about jet lag ... and (foolishly) figured landing around 9, even with slight delays would be plenty of time.

On my January 2016 sailing on Holland America's Eurodam we watched two young couples miss the ship at Port Everglades. At 3:45PM one young couple arrived by cab and the second young couple arrived by limo. They ran towards the terminal and the doors were locked. They ran around to the side of the building and spoke with a security officer who most likely advised them that they were too late. One woman was crying and began waving to us as the ship pulled away from the pier. I felt very bad that they missed the ship.

Don't worry. First of all, rain doesn't usually shut an airport down unless there are really heavy winds. Second, all airlines do everything in their power to get the flight off in time, and if that doesn't happen, then they usually make up the time in the air. Finally, if you do miss the boarding in Venice, you'll be able to catch it later in the cruise if you can.

Check the RCL website for the Royal International phone number and make sure you call that if you think that you'll be delayed. They'll tell you what to do. They want you to make it on time too.

I did that itinerary last year and it was fantastic. Hoping to do it again soon.

The plane will leave if it's only raining. You have to worry if there is lightning in the immediate area at the time of your flight or a low cloud ceiling. On a return flight from Barcelona in 2009 we were stuck on a plane for over twelve hours. We were one hour north of Newark, New Jersey when there was a bad thunderstorm at EWR. We circled for an hour near Albany, New York when the pilot advised us the plane was low on fuel. We landed at Stewart International Airport in Newburgh, New York and watched as other international flights landed there after us. We sat on the plane for four hours. The plane was refueled, they brought water onboard, and they emptied the toilets. We weren't allowed to leave the plane because the airport isn't equipped to handle United States Customs. The plane finally left for the forty five minute flight to Newark. When we arrived at the gate another strong thunderstorm began and we waited at least for another hour before the luggage was offloaded from the plane. It turned out to be a very long day.

Did anyone say RCCL insurance. They would help get all situations taken care of. Ongoing flights to meet the ship at the next port and do transfers [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hate to say this but about 10 years ago we were flying out of EWR in June to Vancouver with an hour connection in Salt Lake city. Didn't think much about weather in June. It was raining hard and we were 3 hrs late leaving and missed our connection, stayed overnight and flew out the next day on the 1st flight at around 11 am arriving at 2 pm Thankfully we still had 2 days before our cruise! Considering the time go get through customs etc we would have missed our ship if we were sailing that day we actually arrived, and that was a day after we started.

So I can understand your concerns about rain. Good luck.

Ok, this weather in NJ is starting to freak me out. Flying in this Friday to Venice, because I couldn't come earlier because of work. Supposed to fly from Newark @ 6:55p and land Saturday morning in Venice at 9:00a. Now I am seeing all kinds of possible heavy rain Friday in Newark. Some forecasts calling for totals up to 3"!

Rhapsody leaves 5:00p Venice time Saturday. I know we can board Rhapsody until 3:30p, but that only leaves about a 5 hour delay margin of error.

If I miss that, will I be able to board in Croatia? Assuming I can get a flight there from Venice? I tried calling United to find out about leaving Thursday night, and they only want $3,800 for two people to change the flight day:o:mad:

Maybe I'm just being overly worrisome, but I thought I remembered that flights overnight won't leave later than 11:55p? I could totally be making that up though.

Anyhow, anyone with any experience with something like this?

For starters, the plane you are on, and I mean the equipment is a piece of equipment that is needed in the airport it plans on landing it. The equipment makes round trip flights. It must arrive or the returning group will not have a plane to return on.

With that being said, the flight will go, unless the equipment is broken. I have left after 11:55 so I have no idea where you got that from.

Although rain will cause delays, it does not stop flights. You did not say if you have a connecting flight or if it is direct. Based on the times you said, It sounds like a direct flight. If so, you will be in much better shape for delays.

Sometimes this works. Go to the airport, and offer to fly standby, and have you ticket available. Just maybe at the airport, they will let you go. Many people take earlier flights doing this, when they arrive at the airport early and ask. You need to already have a paid ticket and be willing to take the gamble. Maybe something to look at. I know people doing this domestically, but not on International. Maybe someone could answer this for you.

I tried calling United to find out about leaving Thursday night, and they only want $3,800 for two people to change the flight day

Here's the answer - if United doesn't think weather will be bad enough of an issue to allow no cost changes, you shouldn't worry either.

Biker, who would call United on Thursday morning and ask this again that day - not 3 days out.

Here's the answer - if United doesn't think weather will be bad enough of an issue to allow no cost changes, you shouldn't worry either.

Biker, who would call United on Thursday morning and ask this again that day - not 3 days out.

Good idea - thanks :)

So I just spoke with THE nicest United agent ever. After I explained to him that we were on a cruise that was leaving Saturday at 5p, he changed us to a flight tomorrow evening for FREE! I am in shock.

So I just spoke with THE nicest United agent ever. After I explained to him that we were on a cruise that was leaving Saturday at 5p, he changed us to a flight tomorrow evening for FREE! I am in shock.

Great! You are very lucky. Enjoy your trip.

It may not have been totally out of the kindness of their hearts - they may resell your seat for more than you paid as Friday is more popular and you are flying on a date less in demand (Thursday).

Biker, who is surprised the OP didn't ask about accommodations in Venice.

That is GREAT. In the future I recommend one of two things - either fly in the day ahead of time. Or book your air through Air2Sea.

So glad it worked out. Check out TripAdvisor and cruise critic Italy board for Venice hotel recs for Friday nite.

. . . Or book your air through Air2Sea.

This is what we did on our last TA. We could not fly in the day before. [sometimes it just can not be] We used Air2Sea. It was cheaper and we knew they would help get us to the ship. the first stop was was in Palma de Mallorca. It is available by air and by ferry from Barcelona, so we felt we had a back up plan.

I still worried, but all was well. Good luck and have a great cruise.

That's wonderful that United changed you to an earlier flight. Enjoy your cruise. When you return please take the time to write to United and thank them for allowing you to fly a day early without having to pay a change fee. A nice letter explaining the circumstances goes a long way. Consider yourself very lucky.

A few years ago we flew out of Toronto to Venice on a Friday night to pick up a cruise on Saturday (sound familiar?) no weather issues in T.O., but a storm over the Atlantic forced the flight to refuel in Shannon. We were two hours late landing in Venice (arrived at 11:30) and we were on board by 1:15. But I was panicking all night long!!! Won't do it again. OP awesome that you were able to get switched!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums