Please Help! My gay roomie is worried.

Hi all,

I'm a 29yo single, straight girl who lives with my 29yo single, gay roomie.

He and I are going on a cruise 7/26 and it's my 4th and his 1st(well he went on one with family when he was younger but has never done it as an out, grown adult).

He's a little nervous about social activities that are LGBT centered. And by nervous I mean, he's thinking there won't be anything to do.

I told him that I think I kinda remember seeing or hearing about LGBT cocktail hours on other cruises I've done but couldn't remember.

Could you give me some insight into what events will probably be going on and/or how to get info about them once we're on the ship?

We'll be on the RCCL Vision of the Seas going to Key West and Grand Cayman.

Thanks in advance for all your help, lovies!!

Happy Planning and Smooth Sailing!

RCCL do advertise LBGT get togethers but they are only advertised on the noticeboard by the reception desk, they are not listed in the daily newspaper and many people do not know they occur.

The times are usually not set at suitable times so we have found the turnout on RCCL to be quite poor, although we have met some great people on RCCL so it does depend on the passengers. NCL are much better at this than RCCL or Celebrity.

We tend to meet more gay guys in the gym and sauna than the advertised events.

Totally depends on the luck of the draw. On my last cruise, LGBT meetings were packed, including a group of a dozen or so queer friends who were traveling together. On other cruises only a few folks ever showed up. Regardless, we almost always make queer friends onboard.

I sail Princess mostly, so not sure how it is on other lines, but LGBT "social activities" have been nothing more than the CD posting a notice in the newsletter inviting LGBT people to sit in a lounge at cocktail hour and spend money on booze. Only rarely is a meet even hosted.

Once you meet compatible queers, you can come up with your own group activities, of course. But in my admittedly limited experience, the vast majority of gay men who go on mixed cruises are partnered (sometimes open, sometimes not), so it's not exactly Grindr at sea. Not to sound dismissive, but unless a gay guy is ready, willing, and able to relate to hets, a mixed cruise may not be the way to go.

Edited by shepp

Hi all,

He and I are going on a cruise 7/26 and it's my 4th and his 1st(well he went on one with family when he was younger but has never done it as an out, grown adult).

He's a little nervous about social activities that are LGBT centered. And by nervous I mean, he's thinking there won't be anything to do.

I told him that I think I kinda remember seeing or hearing about LGBT cocktail hours on other cruises I've done but couldn't remember.

Could you give me some insight into what events will probably be going on and/or how to get info about them once we're on the ship?

I was just on Vision 2 weeks ago. There was no advert on the bulletin board like RC usually does. You can also start your own meeting if you'd like they have blank notices by the boards for you do that. Another thing you can do is go to meet me on board dot com and you can see who is registered on your sailing and you can arrange to meet on board that way. I've done that in the past.

Edited by CRUISEBOY305

If, for some reason, there are no FOD get togethers or there aren't a lot of gay oriented activities on board, perhaps your roomie can use this as an opportunity to mingle with all the fun straight people who will surely be there. I have had some of the best times on cruises with straight people I have met.

If, for some reason, there are no FOD get togethers or there aren't a lot of gay oriented activities on board, perhaps your roomie can use this as an opportunity to mingle with all the fun straight people who will surely be there. I have had some of the best times on cruises with straight people I have met.

I second that. I've met allot of good people on cruises.

We always meet a few new gay friends and a few new straight friends on our cruises. As one poster said, unfortunately the LGBT meetings usually occur during our dinner time, but everyone on the ship is there to have a good time, so people, for the most part are all very friendly. Enjoy your cruise

We always meet a few new gay friends and a few new straight friends on our cruises. As one poster said, unfortunately the LGBT meetings usually occur during our dinner time, but everyone on the ship is there to have a good time, so people, for the most part are all very friendly. Enjoy your cruise

In our experience, the FOD meetings haven't been well attended, but often an informal group who have met otherwise on board will agree to meet at their own arranged time and place. It's a shame often these "meetings" aren't advertised (though you are free to post your own such meetings on the board by customer relations), but you can walk through the various lounges and look for the "fun" group(s), and they will often be family and open to others joining.

In our experience, the FOD meetings haven't been well attended, but often an informal group who have met otherwise on board will agree to meet at their own arranged time and place. It's a shame often these "meetings" aren't advertised (though you are free to post your own such meetings on the board by customer relations), but you can walk through the various lounges and look for the "fun" group(s), and they will often be family and open to others joining.

They have been posted by Celebrity near Guest Relations on all of our cruises. You are correct, the are not advertised in the Dailies, but they are posted by the cruise line.

Hi all,

There is a community bulletin board down by reception/guest relations. Usually there is a standard GLBT gathering notice, but you are more then welcome to post other times/days if you so wish. The problem is many people don't know about the board and don't realized there is a gathering. It's really the luck of the draw. You might hit a sailing with a ton of gays or maybe he might be the only one. Some GLBT forks simply don't care to social with others for personal reasons. Sorry. It's a real crap shoot. I'd just go with no expectations either way and just enjoy the ship, food, entertainment, etc. He has nothing to me nervous about. It's a vacation....think Pina Coladas, fabulous ports, good food and entertainment. Maybe next cruise take him on an all gay charter or a Pied Piper gay group cruise where he is guaranteed to socialize with other GLBT people.

FYI--Key West is a major gay destination. You might want to check out some of the gay bars on Duval street like the Bourbon Pub and 801 bar. Not sure how busy they've be during the day, but can't hurt to stop by for a drink.

Edited by COMBOY

You might want to suggest that he start (or join) a GLBT roll call by clicking on the link up near the top of this page.

Great advice. I found the GLBT meetings are rarely well attended, but if you spend time at particular gathering spot bars, you will quickly find us all in a bunch getting pre dinner martinis and cocktails. On Celebrity Martini Bar is the place (for some reason my last cruise the GLBT gatherings were at Wine cellar, and no one went). Not sure what equivalent spot you'll find on RCL but no doubt it exists.

also email me for more info if you like.

I second that. I've met allot of good people on cruises.

I totally agree!!! I've made some real, true life-ong friends on each cruise I've been on and they're a total mix of GLBT and straight.... and i think he knows that, but was just interested/excited about the prospect of just having a pre-set way to meet people ya know. But absolutely, the hot tub is still my #1 all-time favorite and best way to make friends with EVERYONE ;)

Actually as to Grindr or Scruff, definitely use it once aboard in port to locate those close by, get the "homework" done before leaving port. Maybe even message the rest you find on there to meet for sail away someplace. Worked for me on a cruise in March...!

Hi all,

Don't sweat the small stuff. Go (just 5 days away) and enjoy. If your roomie is looking for a "hook-up" it can happen. Go with the flow, have fun and enjoy ... it's a vacation!

Actually as to Grindr or Scruff, definitely use it once aboard in port to locate those close by, get the "homework" done before leaving port. Maybe even message the rest you find on there to meet for sail away someplace. Worked for me on a cruise in March...!

lol....yes I do that.

Hi all,

As many said..check the board near guest relations. It will post where get togethers are held. On the Eclipse we found it to be in the Martini Bar. Very few attended, but it's not like we couldn't figure out who was "family" as they say. The Gym gets good attendance. A lot of really hot crew members worked out there. They may be "straight", but enough of them cruised(subtly & not so subtly) my Chinese spouse. Yeah, I know..Everyone loves the Chinese guy! At least that's what the shirt says!

Totally depends on the luck of the draw. On my last cruise, LGBT meetings were packed, including a group of a dozen or so queer friends who were traveling together. On other cruises only a few folks ever showed up. Regardless, we almost always make queer friends onboard.

I sail Princess mostly, so not sure how it is on other lines, but LGBT "social activities" have been nothing more than the CD posting a notice in the newsletter inviting LGBT people to sit in a lounge at cocktail hour and spend money on booze. Only rarely is a meet even hosted.

Once you meet compatible queers, you can come up with your own group activities, of course. But in my admittedly limited experience, the vast majority of gay men who go on mixed cruises are partnered (sometimes open, sometimes not), so it's not exactly Grindr at sea. Not to sound dismissive, but unless a gay guy is ready, willing, and able to relate to hets, a mixed cruise may not be the way to go.

That may be your opinion, but plenty of us prefer that to the "party" scene of RSVP/Atlantis.