Just got an email regarding the increase in gratuity

Ckrewz

This is my first time starting a thread!!! :)

Thought I would share:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

CARNIVAL'S NEW GRATUITY GUIDELINES

November 1, 2011

Hi there!

While we're sure you're not quite packing your bags yet, we thought we'd take a moment to provide you with some important information regarding gratuities for your upcoming vacation.

After careful consideration, our gratuity guidelines will be increasing from $10.00 per person per day to $11.50 per person per day with voyages departing December 1, 2011 and onward. Guests who have pre-paid their gratuities will not be affected by this change.

While decisions like these are never easy, increases to gratuity guidelines are common with all cruise lines. In our case, we have not increased our gratuity guidelines since 2001. Additionally, this new amount will put us in line with most other cruise lines in the industry.

Our shipboard team members work very hard to provide you with top-notch service so we hope you'll agree this increase is well deserved.

Tipping, as you know, is at your discretion. So even though gratuities are automatically added to your onboard Sail & Sign account as a convenience, you are always free to adjust as you please.

We thank you for your understanding. We are committed to providing you with a fun and memorable cruise experience and look forward to welcoming you aboard!

Sincerely,

vicky_rey_signature.jpg

Vicky Rey, CTC

Vice President - Guest Services

Please do not reply to this email as it is not monitored.

Got this email too. $1.50 per day is not a huge deal, but I am sick and tired of getting nickel & dimed to death. IMO, This should have gone out a month before implementation. Glad I already chose pre-paid tips on all of my upcoming bookings.

You ARE given the option. Read the entire e-mail. You can do as you please.

You can do as you please... ONLY if you are willing to go to the front desk while onboard and have them make "eye-rolls" at you for DARING to question the auto tip. Not to metion the possible long waits at the desk.

... IMO, This should have gone out a month before implementation. Glad I already chose pre-paid tips on all of my upcoming bookings.

The e-mail went out today, Nov. 1st. It's being implemented Dec. 1st. That is a month before implementation.

Are you kidding me , breaking my bank. Sounds like some let corporate america roll all over them. $1.50 a day isnt much but there are other means to give their employees raises without tapping the customer base. Just like with the airlines charging for everything, whats next for Carnival, charging for condiments at meals? These large companies keep rolling until they are stopped . Look @ B of A!!

go on over to change .org and sign my petition.

Some people have a voice....

Are you kidding me , breaking my bank. Sounds like some let corporate america roll all over them. $1.50 a day isnt much but there are other means to give their employees raises without tapping the customer base. Just like with the airlines charging for everything, whats next for Carnival, charging for condiments at meals? These large companies keep rolling until they are stopped . Look @ B of A!!

go on over to change .org and sign my petition.

Some people have a voice....

Where do you think that money for salaries of cruise employees comes from??

THE CUSTOMERS...

always has and always will.

OMG......I feel like I have entered the freaking Twilight Zone

There are numerous ways for increase income, for instance charge more for premium services, more for premium suites,fees that are billed through excursion vendors for excursions. Carnival isnt Crystal Cruise Lines!! There are other ways to do this without coming straight out and telling the consumer its on them. BTW, dos'nt feel much like the twilight zone..

There are numerous ways for increase income, for instance charge more for premium services, more for premium suites,fees that are billed through excursion vendors for excursions. Carnival isnt Crystal Cruise Lines!! There are other ways to do this without coming straight out and telling the consumer its on them. BTW, dos'nt feel much like the twilight zone..

so...if CCl is s n e a k y and hides the charges in there as opposed to announcing it and making it obvious, then it's OK???

Nope, I'm still in the Twilight Zone.

I cant believe how cheap people are...complaining about a buck fitty. You should be embarrassed for yourselves. :(

It's not the $1.50...it's that they SEE the $1.50...they don't mind paying it, they just don't want to KNOW that they're paying it.

:p

Got this email too. $1.50 per day is not a huge deal, but I am sick and tired of getting nickel & dimed to death. IMO, This should have gone out a month before implementation. Glad I already chose pre-paid tips on all of my upcoming bookings.

Don't read much eh?

There is no way to increase income other then from the customer no matter how you twist it.

Grats aren't income anyway, it's money that belongs to the workers ... you know the "little guy" you are purporting to represent.

Carnivals Tips/grats/service charges are in line with or cheaper (NCL) then any other mass market line.

Archived