Just got an email regarding the increase in gratuity

Ckrewz

Where do you think that money for salaries of cruise employees comes from??

THE CUSTOMERS...

always has and always will.

OMG......I feel like I have entered the freaking Twilight Zone

right? Also, not just for the cruise industry... all employers pay their workers from their customers pockets.

People amaze me.

There are numerous ways for increase income, for instance charge more for premium services, more for premium suites,fees that are billed through excursion vendors for excursions. Carnival isnt Crystal Cruise Lines!! There are other ways to do this without coming straight out and telling the consumer its on them. BTW, dos'nt feel much like the twilight zone..

I guess I live on another planet cuz we sure don't speak the same language.

"Charging more for premium services or more in fees for excursions....telling the consumer its on them" aren't you still paying for the service one way or another? Is it that it is called a gratuity that has your panties all in a bunch? You are paying for it whether its wrapped up in the cost of the cruise, added fees or gratuity charge, you still have to pay. If you can't afford it, don't cruise.

However, I for one am not happy that they didn't give us any real opportunity to prepay our gratuities before it was implemented. I have 2 cruises booked and I found out about it too late to pre-pay my gratuities so I will be paying the higher fees. I'm okay with that but I think they should have given us the opportunity make the change to our booking before it was too late. As of today, we can't make the change and get the lower rate. It's kinda like telling us "there was a sale that we missed cuz it ended yesterday":rolleyes:

There are numerous ways for increase income, for instance charge more for premium services, more for premium suites,fees that are billed through excursion vendors for excursions. Carnival isnt Crystal Cruise Lines!! There are other ways to do this without coming straight out and telling the consumer its on them. BTW, dos'nt feel much like the twilight zone..

I love this:rolleyes:

If this happened, you would complain about them raising prices this way. You are ridiculous. $1.50 isnt that big of a deal, even if you have a family of 5 and its an extra $50 added to your cruise. If you can afford a cruise for 5 people, you can afford the extra $50 or however much it exactly is. They deserve it!

Just like 2.0, people complain that there is nothing new on the cruises so Carnival changes it up a bit, and people complain that now the prices are increasing:confused:

PEOPLE ARE CHEAP and just loooooove to complain.

I know that I am going to get flamed on this and if you check my posts, you will find that I am totally in favor of leaving the required tip on and also adding an additional tip if the service is good - which it usually is.

However, in this case, I do not think that I would leave the tip at the higher value if I had already fully paid for my cruise. It is a matter of principal. When I booked and paid for the cruise, the tipping level was $10 per day. After I had paid, then then raised the level. This is wrong.

In the end, I would probably end up paying more than $1.50 per day in additional tips. However, I just do not like the way it was done.

DON

I know that I am going to get flamed on this and if you check my posts, you will find that I am totally in favor of leaving the required tip on and also adding an additional tip if the service is good - which it usually is.

However, in this case, I do not think that I would leave the tip at the higher value if I had already fully paid for my cruise. It is a matter of principal. When I booked and paid for the cruise, the tipping level was $10 per day. After I had paid, then then raised the level. This is wrong.

In the end, I would probably end up paying more than $1.50 per day in additional tips. However, I just do not like the way it was done.

DON

That is exactly how I feel. Very early morning yesterday I emailed our TA (big online agency too) and she knew NOTHING about this upcoming suggested gratuity increase on our past final payment early December cruise. She got right on the phone to Carnival to have us prepay gratuities but it was already too late. She was very apologetic on her call back to me and said that none of the agents she worked with had any advance notification about this increase either. In the past we have almost always tipped our room stewards and waiters above and beyond the auto gratuity, but are not real excited about now having our gratuities extended to the front desk staff and entertainment staff...

Are you people kidding me? $1.50 per DAY? Is that really gonna break your bank?

I can't believe all these posts on tipping. If you complain about $1.50 per day more for your cruise, then just don't cruise. I don't think this amount will break their bank either. Jeez! :rolleyes:

You can do as you please... ONLY if you are willing to go to the front desk while onboard and have them make "eye-rolls" at you for DARING to question the auto tip. Not to metion the possible long waits at the desk.

We do every cruise the first day and do not have to wait. Never a problem. You can get the old fashion envelopes at the same time.

I love this:rolleyes:

If this happened, you would complain about them raising prices this way. You are ridiculous. $1.50 isnt that big of a deal, even if you have a family of 5 and its an extra $50 added to your cruise. If you can afford a cruise for 5 people, you can afford the extra $50 or however much it exactly is. They deserve it!

Just like 2.0, people complain that there is nothing new on the cruises so Carnival changes it up a bit, and people complain that now the prices are increasing:confused:

PEOPLE ARE CHEAP and just loooooove to complain.

It's not that people are cheap. It's that people expect a certain value for their money. It seems that with Carnival, cruisers are now getting a lot less value for their money then they did previously.

For example - the new menu- a lot of the core food items have been taken off and were placed with diner fare.

The entertainment has gone downhill. We saw the same show on the Triumph that we saw 13 months earlier on the Sensation. As for the Karaoke, they chose to host in the promenade area instead of an actual lounge on the Triumph. Probably another cost-cutting measure.

As for the gratuities - Carnival did not communicate it very well as very little notice was given prior to implementation. That is poor customer service. It is not that the employees don't deserve it, it is that Carnival handled it poorly.

We are sailing on the Victory in January. We'll see what happens. Hopefully, we won't be disappointed.

It's not that people are cheap. It's that people expect a certain value for their money. It seems that with Carnival, cruisers are now getting a lot less value for their money then they did previously.

For example - the new menu- a lot of the core food items have been taken off and were placed with diner fare.

The entertainment has gone downhill. We saw the same show on the Triumph that we saw 13 months earlier on the Sensation. As for the Karaoke, they chose to host in the promenade area instead of an actual lounge on the Triumph. Probably another cost-cutting measure.

As for the gratuities - Carnival did not communicate it very well as very little notice was given prior to implementation. That is poor customer service. It is not that the employees don't deserve it, it is that Carnival handled it poorly.

We are sailing on the Victory in January. We'll see what happens. Hopefully, we won't be disappointed.

and if you are disappointed you can always cruise on a different line......we all have the freedom to choose.................the amount of the tips are just SUGGESTED

cheryl

Production shows are expensive and will often stay on for 2-3 years. Look at RCL's new Oasis class ships. Same production shows since day one. It is not cheaping out its just the reality that the shows are expensive and cruise line has to get the value from them.

A whole $1.50 :eek:

As long as all this tip jar is shared amongst the people that serve us I really don't care. I hope Carnival doesn't skim a percentage as a handling and administration fee. :D

Just got an email regarding the increase in gratuity

I got the same e-mail from CCL/Vicky last evening as well, and don't have the foggiest clue as to why. :confused:

My one and only remaining Carnival cruise vacation leaves this weekend and is completed before any of this kicks in.

You cannot still prepay your tips at the $10 a day level even though they are not in effect until Dec 1st. I have 3 upcoming cruises and one with 8 relatives that I am paying for. For me it was the principal of doing business. There should of been more warning.

I am in a very similar situation for an early December sailing. Our TA did not get back to me until Nov. 1 although I emailed her a couple days before trying to prepay the tips for the family members I am paying for. She said she had no idea about the changes until that morning either. She called Carnival immediately that morning but it was too late. Her very apologetic advice when she called me back was to go to the front desk as soon as we board and have the amounts adjusted back to the 10. pp per day rate. Kind of embarrassing though as we have never adjusted the auto tips on any cruise.

My one and only remaining Carnival cruise vacation leaves this weekend and is completed before any of this kicks in.

Have fun :) (I leave this weekend too...although I have one remaining CCL cruise after this one)

You can do as you please... ONLY if you are willing to go to the front desk while onboard and have them make "eye-rolls" at you for DARING to question the auto tip. Not to metion the possible long waits at the desk.

I will be there and happy to make a scene "rolling my eyes" when I have all tips taken off my account. I could care less. I will not be told who or what amount I have to tip.

Archived