problems on St. Martin

mrobstad

My cousin is at St. Martins now, and her excursion was cancelled. The locals said that they "dont want white people on the French side." The captain, too, warned passengers to avoid the French side. What is our world coming to?

This protest is not about race, and it's a shame that it's being portrayed that way.

Can you share an article or news site that says what it is about?

I remember similar warnings when the local fishermen in French Harbor on Roatan were in dispute...but the fishermen weren't out after cruisers, they just wanted better conditions and more $$ for their catch or less docking fees.

Found this...http://sxmislandtime.com/front-page-headliners/36520-roads-to-orient-beach-blocked-wednesday.html

Got nothing to do with cruisers or race.

Edited by crewsweeper

wow Thank you for the information. I have decided to stay on French side now for sure. :( bummer but want to be safe.

Thanks

Lisa

It's the French side where the problem is ... strikes, etc.

Your ship docks on the Dutch side.

That is very scary. I am going to play it safe and stay on dutch side this time. I emailed Bernard (super nice guy) from Bernard's tours and he assured me it would be fine, but at the end of the day no one can assure that, so I guess I'll miss out on Orient Beach this time. Hey, it will give me a chance to try a different beach there. I have found:

Dawn Beach

Little Bay (Divi Resort there)

Any recommendations on which one would be best?

Thank you

Lisa

If you want good snorkeling but maybe a little wave action depending on the wind and weather, I'd say Dawn Beach.

For just a relaxing day with some options for water activities but not a party-hearty crowd, like Maho, then Little Divi would be a good choice.

Other here may have different opinions.

That is very scary. I am going to play it safe and stay on dutch side this time. I emailed Bernard (super nice guy) from Bernard's tours and he assured me it would be fine, but at the end of the day no one can assure that, so I guess I'll miss out on Orient Beach this time. Hey, it will give me a chance to try a different beach there. I have found:

Dawn Beach

Little Bay (Divi Resort there)

Any recommendations on which one would be best?

Thank you

Lisa

You might want to take a look at Karakter Beach Bar on Simpson Bay. Mullet bay is a very nice beach as well. Both of these beaches are on the Dutch side.

You might want to take a look at Karakter Beach Bar on Simpson Bay. Mullet bay is a very nice beach as well. Both of these beaches are on the Dutch side.

Thank you

I think Mullet Bay is near Maho and I hear traffic over that way by the airport can get busy, so think I'll choose Dawn or Little Bay. :)

Thank you

I think Mullet Bay is near Maho and I hear traffic over that way by the airport can get busy, so think I'll choose Dawn or Little Bay. :)

Dawn or Little Bay will definitely get you a different experience than Orient. Enjoy:)

Took a tour to both Orient Beach and Maho and an island tour in between. No protests anywhere today, March 17.

Was Orient busy today? Did you hear anything about th issues there? How was the traffic to Maho? How many ships were in port? Thanks:)

There were four ships docked at our pier. Not sure if there is another pier. We got to Orient Beach about 9:30 and it wasn't crowded but it was busier before noon. I walked the entire length of the beach - clothing optional areas included - around 11:30 and there weren't too many beach chairs left at any of the places. Never heard anything about the protests and didn't see any remains of it. (Not sure what I'd be looking for though.)

Traffic was backed up at Maho but I don't think any more than usual. The beach and bar areas were jam packed though. Crazy with it being spring break and St. Patrick's day.

There were four ships docked at our pier. Not sure if there is another pier. We got to Orient Beach about 9:30 and it wasn't crowded but it was busier before noon. I walked the entire length of the beach - clothing optional areas included - around 11:30 and there weren't too many beach chairs left at any of the places. Never heard anything about the protests and didn't see any remains of it. (Not sure what I'd be looking for though.)

Traffic was backed up at Maho but I don't think any more than usual. The beach and bar areas were jam packed though. Crazy with it being spring break and St. Patrick's day.

Great info. Thank you. They can dock up to 6 ships at the port and if there are more then the other ships would tender out in the bay near the town. March is definitely a busy month on the island. Sounds like you made the most of your day.:)

Edited by Karysa

I've been to Orient 3x and love it. Also been to Maho to see the planes and that was OK but it gets crowded there. The talks are to resume on the day we are there, thurs March 24 and I don't want to risk going to French side in case anything were to happen :( I have decided to go to Little Bay. easy, and looks relaxing.

Orient next time!

Thanks