Will a Crystal and Seabourn lover be happy?

BUgrad

My husband and I are considering the Navigator for a San Francisco to Vancouver itinerary of Alaska. Since our lines of choice,Seabourn and Crystal do not go to Alaska and Silversea fell below our expectations our T.A. suggested the Navigator. She suggested this sailing which is in early May stating that the glaciers will have less melt and we would not have as long a flight. We like the fact that RSSC is not formal, but how does food and service compare? Entertainment is not that important.

Having not been on either Crystal or Seabourn, I still would not recommend the Navigator over these two cruise lines. Having read hundreds of reviews from "Crystalized" passengers, there are few who actually like Regent (and not many Regent regulars who prefer Crystal).

You did not specify if you are comparing the smaller Seabourn ships or the newer 450 passenger ships. The "sisters" are less than half of the size of the Navigator -- a big consideration. The larger ships are newer and are likely to be much more stable.

The Navigator is a beautiful ship that children love during Alaska season (at least from June through mid-August). It is not unusual to see 100 children on the Navigator at this time.

While there are many Regent customers who love the Navigator, we prefer the other Regent ships. Just my opinion.

and 2 Regent ships,the food and cabins are a tad more luxurious on SB.But think you ll like the fact,,,NO SMOKING allowed in cabins or balcony.All excursions inc.,plus tips,drinks,etc.A LOT less formal,no one Walks you to your table for dinner,for instance.

Have not been on Navigator but plan to next Dec.,,HINT get cabin toward front of ship to avoid vibration.

Both lines are GREAT,just a TAD different.Go for it and make your decision.Let us know.;)

Just got off the Navigator (Vancouver to Seward). We had a fabulous time. The ship was full. There were perhaps 15-20 kids on board...all well behaved and virtually invisible. Service, food, and accommodations were wonderful.

Although we have not been on Seaborne or Chrystal, smoking is a deal breaker for me. It is very limited on the Navigator. Excursions were fantastic - although, full disclosure, we had warm and sunny weather for the entire cruise.

Just got off the Navigator (Vancouver to Seward). We had a fabulous time. The ship was full. There were perhaps 15-20 kids on board...all well behaved and virtually invisible. Service, food, and accommodations were wonderful.

Although we have not been on Seaborne or Chrystal, smoking is a deal breaker for me. It is very limited on the Navigator. Excursions were fantastic - although, full disclosure, we had warm and sunny weather for the entire cruise.

It would be helpful if you could let us know what cruise lines you have sailed on in the past. Thanks!

We have sailed Crystal multiple times and once on the Seabourn Quest, but not yet on Regent. However our very good friends and cruise buddies from the UK, with 20+ Crystal cruises and 2-3 on the new Seabourn ships, have sailed Regent a couple of times recently and really enjoyed themselves. From what they have said, they really like the Regent product.

We have sailed Crystal multiple times and once on the Seabourn Quest, but not yet on Regent. However our very good friends and cruise buddies from the UK, with 20+ Crystal cruises and 2-3 on the new Seabourn ships, have sailed Regent a couple of times recently and really enjoyed themselves. From what they have said, they really like the Regent product.

Thanks so much for that post. It is good to know when people who cruise other luxury lines can appreciate Regent. I know what it is like to be very loyal to one cruise line as I am with Regent. When I tried Silversea for the first time I kept reminding myself not to make comparisons and to like or dislike Silversea based on its unique qualities. We still sail Silversea - although prefer Regent.

I asked the previous cruiser about their cruise history since they indicated that they had not sailed Crystal or Seabourn. Generally speaking, people who have not sailed other luxury cruise lines do find Regent (or any other luxury line) almost perfect. People that have cruised other luxury cruise lines may find Regent's included excursions crowded. Many luxury cruise passengers prefer to organize their own "small group" or "private" excursions.

IMO, it is so important to at least list the cruise lines you have been on in your "signature". It really makes a difference in terms of how you perceive luxury cruising.

I don't think my cruise history is particularly relevant. I know what I like and I like the Regent product. Excursions have been fine, in fact, we went ocean rafting in Sitka and there were three of us. This was a very personalized tour and we saw otters, puffins, eagles, and other wildlife.

Close friends just returned from a 21 day Seaborne cruise to the Norway fjords. They were underwhelmed. Seems you have to know the "secret handshake" to get the full Seaborne experience. As newcomers to Seaborne, but not to luxury cruising, they felt put off. In contrast, regent bent over backwards to make their cruise very special. Whatever they wanted, they got. As an example, one night at dinner (on Seaborne) all my friend wanted was a simple pasta with garlic, cheese and olive oil. The waiter said this was impossible. She passed on dinner without a fuss and then her pasta appeared halfway through dinner. That would never happen on Regent.

I don't think my cruise history is particularly relevant. I know what I like and I like the Regent product. Excursions have been fine, in fact, we went ocean rafting in Sitka and there were three of us. This was a very personalized tour and we saw otters, puffins, eagles, and other wildlife.

Close friends just returned from a 21 day Seaborne cruise to the Norway fjords. They were underwhelmed. Seems you have to know the "secret handshake" to get the full Seaborne experience. As newcomers to Seaborne, but not to luxury cruising, they felt put off. In contrast, regent bent over backwards to make their cruise very special. Whatever they wanted, they got. As an example, one night at dinner (on Seaborne) all my friend wanted was a simple pasta with garlic, cheese and olive oil. The waiter said this was impossible. She passed on dinner without a fuss and then her pasta appeared halfway through dinner. That would never happen on Regent.

It may not be relevant to you but the information is extremely helpful to regulars on this board. In any case, glad you liked Regent

We have cruised Crystal twice to a Alaska, both round trip San Francisco, with my elderly parents, and twice on Regent. We have many days on the Navigator and enjoy it very much. It is very difficult to compare the ships. Crystal standard cabins are much smaller but the public areas are larger. Food is very good on both but on Regent they try buy fresh sea food when they can, I have even gone to the markets with the chief. If you want a structured cruise with fixed dining seating, I know Crystal is trying to be more flexible, Crystal would be better.

Many of our fellow cruisers on Crystal would not be able to take advantage of the included tours on Regent. We prefer Regent but as we get older maybe we will return to Crystal.

Thanks so much for that post. It is good to know when people who cruise other luxury lines can appreciate Regent. I know what it is like to be very loyal to one cruise line as I am with Regent. When I tried Silversea for the first time I kept reminding myself not to make comparisons and to like or dislike Silversea based on its unique qualities. We still sail Silversea - although prefer Regent.

I asked the previous cruiser about their cruise history since they indicated that they had not sailed Crystal or Seabourn. Generally speaking, people who have not sailed other luxury cruise lines do find Regent (or any other luxury line) almost perfect. People that have cruised other luxury cruise lines may find Regent's included excursions crowded. Many luxury cruise passengers prefer to organize their own "small group" or "private" excursions.

IMO, it is so important to at least list the cruise lines you have been on in your "signature". It really makes a difference in terms of how you perceive luxury cruising.

TC,

I think that the comparison thing is always a problem. When 6 of us Crystyal cruisers sailed O for the first time this past Jan., it took us about 5 days to quit comparing and to begin to appreciate our experience on Riviera for what it was.

We missed the extremely warm and friendly service of the deck guys. We missed the wonderful Bistro coffee/snack venue. We missed the very entertaining piano bar in the Avenue Saloon. But we came to appreciate the excellent food and specialty restaurants, the casual Terrace evening dining, the lovely afternoon teas and the beautiful ship. I am particularly impressed with FDR, who took a personal interest in our experience and was kind enough to arrange for a telephone call after our return so that we could discuss it.

We hear of people who enjoy sailing on the lesser lines, but we know that if we sailed on one, I would drive my wife crazy with negative comparisons, so we don't do it!

Thank you for your nice comments.

digtexas, Sorry this is not a comparison of Crystal and Regent; rather than Oceania. I'm fascinated, however, as to what connections you have to get FDR to call you. While I am not fanatic like others, I have supported Regent for some time, and in fact talked up their settlement (on board),both Voyager and here, after the recent problems on Sydney-Singapore. They were facing a mutiny, but imo saved it, and without sending execs to Bali. Done by recognizing the proper compensation.

In addition, some like to criticize RSSC'S financials. I understand them and point out that the results can lead to better amenities as the load factor and margin are in our favor.

So, please tell me how you get to talk to Mr. Del Rio; as thinking of myself as a sophisticated cruiser and also understanding financial information I feel a conversation would be both stimulating on both sides, but, also, fun, as well as presenting some good ideas for his clients.

digtexas, Sorry this is not a comparison of Crystal and Regent; rather than Oceania. I'm fascinated, however, as to what connections you have to get FDR to call you. While I am not fanatic like others, I have supported Regent for some time, and in fact talked up their settlement (on board),both Voyager and here, after the recent problems on Sydney-Singapore. They were facing a mutiny, but imo saved it, and without sending execs to Bali. Done by recognizing the proper compensation.

In addition, some like to criticize RSSC'S financials. I understand them and point out that the results can lead to better amenities as the load factor and margin are in our favor.

So, please tell me how you get to talk to Mr. Del Rio; as thinking of myself as a sophisticated cruiser and also understanding financial information I feel a conversation would be both stimulating on both sides, but, also, fun, as well as presenting some good ideas for his clients.

Just send him an email and let him know that you'd like to speak with him. Don't be surprised if he contacts you:-)

digtexas: Agree with you about comparisons. I must admit to doing some comparisons when we were on Oceania (mainly comparing food as this has been an issue with Regent cruisers). Although we remain Regent loyalists, we are determined to find the right itinerary so we can sail either the Riviera or Marina again:-)

digtexas: Agree with you about comparisons. I must admit to doing some comparisons when we were on Oceania (mainly comparing food as this has been an issue with Regent cruisers). Although we remain Regent loyalists, we are determined to find the right itinerary so we can sail either the Riviera or Marina again:-)

You can join us on the Marina 7/23/14 London to London British Isles!:)

Wish we could - that is a great itinerary:-)

Wish we could - that is a great itinerary:-)

Yes, but then, after smoking policy and dress codes, a summer cruise might touch that third rail of CC controversy: sailing with children!:eek:

Afternoon.. You should try Regent,~~>> Cool Cruiser. You'll be happy with them. We have traveled on Regent and Oceania the last few years, we prefer the smaller luxury lines now. Since cruising in our 20's, that was in 1979 our first journey, we have been on every Line. So I suggest to TRY IT! I'm sure you'll agreed, each CL has the Good and the Bad.. and a some even have the ugly.

This is my first post in awhile on the Regent board and probably wouldn't have bothered except I feel I know a little about the topic posed. This tends to be a pretty militant board. My daughter and I were on the Navigator( Vancouver to Seward) at the end of May into the first part of June. We did our research and were prepared for weather less than the best. Rain gear, Barbour jackets, layers, natural fibers, duck shoes, wool socks, etc. If you go in May/June, your gonna need that. We're very active and chose active shore excursions. All went regardless of weather. I can go into those in more detail, if you've got questions. We appreciated the fact that we could go to dinner in kakhis and boat shoes with a nice sweater and a turtle neck.

We did Crystal last April with a Med. itinerary. The food on Regent can't compare to Crystal, imho. We liked Prime 7 on the Navigator, but Compass Rose took FOREVER to get thru, even after asking to pace us so we could get to a show. Plates were rather unimaginative in presentation. We rarely saw the same wait staff. Regent did have wonderful sommaliers (sp?) and we enjoyed great service from them. In our opinion, there were no good bars.....not that we're big boozers, but just never found one that we felt comfortable in. Seemed like there was never the same staff in them from one night to next. Some actually pretty miserable ( Navigator bar). We liked our cabin....large, great bath, etc. Crystal's cabins are definitely smaller, but bath equally as nice.

My husband and I did the Mariner last November, ( another breed of cat, but food still not as well presented and imaginative as Crystal). I like both lines for different reasons....

Navigator is nice as it's a little ship up in Alaska. Late spring (even tho weather if a big if) is great in that there's no one there yet.........Bottom line is that they are both good, but for different reasons.........

Interesting.....perhaps the crew learned from your experience as the food, pacing, and service was spot on for our August cruise. I intend to post a more detailed review with pictures on this forum. As for cocktails, I am a snob and detest packaged sour mix. I asked the waitstaff in the bars if they could concoct a cocktail to my specifications. No problem! Muddled fresh lime, grey goose, Cointreau (not triple sec), splash of cranberry so we had a blush rather than rosacea, voila! The perfect cosmopolitan.

I was on the June 19 cruise (Seward to Anchorage) and was just about as perfect as perfect can be and probably the best one yet aboard this beautiful little ship, partly due to the fantastic weather. I am sure there were some kids but very very few as I do not recall a single one. Someone earlier posted (if I remember correctly) there could be up to 100 kids? What?? I've done the Navigator to Alaska four or five times and never ever encountered many children aboard. The food and service outstanding. The real standout was the black cod with miso. OMG!

I love both Crystal and Seabourn. I am happier with the size of the cabin on Seabourn and my preference for feeling like I am at sea is the size of the smaller Seabourn ships. I love the multiple venues on Crystal and the dining experience on both of my sailings was outstanding. I love the intimacy of both the smaller and larger Seabourn ships. Almost all of the dining experiences onboard were fabulous. Service on both lines was excellent although, I have to admit, our last experience in the main dining room on Crystal was not as outstanding as our first cruise. However, Sigi, Ruel, Emelito, Hardy, and Raymond (sorry if I have spelled any names wrong) in Silk Road provided us with unbelievable service. In all other areas of the ship the service was terrific. I am considering another Crystal sailing in late 2014 or in 2015.

Now, to compare my experience on Crystal and Seabourn with Regent, I have to admit that I still miss Regent. I miss sailing on Regent because of the relationships with staff and crew developed over many years, the cabin that was always like coming home because of the many nights spent onboard, and the memories that had been created onboard. The Navigator, despite her quirks (or, perhaps, because of them) has a special place in my heart. She has more of the intimacy of Seabourn and similar cabins to the larger Seabourn ships. She does not have the same number of venues as Crystal and she also does not have the best layout for some areas. The dining experience was not always outstanding. However, I never had a sailing where I thought I did not get what I had paid for and felt the cruise line had failed me. I would happily sail her in any cabin that is central or more towards the bow. Early May might be an issue, but it might also be the very best time to sail. Whatever you decide, until you have sailed, you will never know if it would make you happy. I say, "Go for it."

I was on the June 19 cruise (Seward to Anchorage) and was just about as perfect as perfect can be and probably the best one yet aboard this beautiful little ship, partly due to the fantastic weather. I am sure there were some kids but very very few as I do not recall a single one. Someone earlier posted (if I remember correctly) there could be up to 100 kids? What?? I've done the Navigator to Alaska four or five times and never ever encountered many children aboard. The food and service outstanding. The real standout was the black cod with miso. OMG!

I'm a bit confused by your post. The "black cod with miso" is a specialty of Oceania. Which dining venue on the Navigator served that dish? It is the first time I've heard of this.

Glad to hear that you like the Navigator! Perhaps there are less children since they no longer "sail free". When they did, there were definitely 100 children on many sailings.

I'm a bit confused by your post. The "black cod with miso" is a specialty of Oceania. Which dining venue on the Navigator served that dish? It is the first time I've heard of this.

Glad to hear that you like the Navigator! Perhaps there are less children since they no longer "sail free". When they did, there were definitely 100 children on many sailings.

Actually miso glazed sea bass is the Oceania dish in Red Ginger and miso black cod is a Nobu dish served in Crystal's Silk Road.

Archived