Driving to Southampton

shopping girl

Hi we are sailing on Britannia on 30th September we are driving from Newcastle to Southampton. We have never drove to Southampton before we have always used Eavesway travel. We are parking car with CPS.

Our boarding time is 1.30pm we are thinking of leaving at 4am I am hoping this will give us enough time to drive down. Unfortunaty we cannot drive down the day before as we have our own business and my husband needs to be at work that day.

We could have got coach travel through P&O I was wondering wether to change to coach but they now use a company called inter cruise and when I have looked at reviews they are not very good apparently. Has anyone travelled with them? Also they do not leave Newcastle until 6-7am therefore we have been informed we would not be at the ship until between 3-4pm. When we travelled with Eavesway we left Newcastle at 5am.

I may just be feeling anxious as the cruise is 4 weeks away and we have never driven to Southampton before and just worried incase we get held up.

Could someone please put my mind at rest either to drive or go by coach. :confused:

Apart from this dilemma I can't wait for our cruise so close now :D

Hi....we have travelled down to Southampton by various modes of transport...car/rail/coach transfer. When we have done the coach transfer we have used both Eavesway and Intercruise. While Eavesway does have the edge over Intercruise we personally found Intercruise to be OK...in fact we are using them next Saturday.

Going by car we find it rather too stressful ....especially if travelling down the same day...only done it once...never again....was stuck in a traffic jam for what seemed like hours... after that for future cruises we travelled down the previous day. For us the coach transfer is much more relaxing and now really wouldn't consider any other way of getting down to Southampton. We are travelling from "Up North" and our pick up time is 8.00 arriving Southampton 15.00 which I don't think is too bad a length of journey. Was it Intercruise who gave you those timings?

When P&O first started to use Intercruises the coaches were not the best but the last few times that we have taken the coach it was either Ellisons or Leon coaches ans we found both of them to be excellent. When the coach arrives at the terminal you are sent straight to check in regardless of your assigned boarding time. We always try to go to Southampton the day before if we are driving because we have experienced problems with traffic in the past and it is not fun to be sitting in the car worried about whether we will get to the ship before it sails because there is an overturned caravan blocking the road. If you can't possibly drive down the day before I would definitely recommend going by coach because they will wait for the coach to arrive. Last December we were on the coach when the A34 was closed due to a vehical fire and we did not arrive at the terminal until just before 6pm and they were waiting for us and we were rushed through check in.

Edited by Josy1953

One main advantage of going by coach with Intercruises is that the ship will wait!Personally we would never risk driving down on the same day.We either go by coach or by train and stay the night before.Whatever you decide, hope you have a great cruise! :)

Realistically that is loads of time to drive down. I drive to the Scottish boarders frequently from Portsmouth and it takes 8hrs on a bad day including all the usual jams and delays on the M25 and M6.

How long does the AA say it will take - 6-7hrs tops ? So you should arrive at 11am. That gives you at least two hours to be stuck in a bad jam and two more if you need it before you need to worry. And any coach will be held up too so the ship might be waiting for them if it's something really bad.

Make sure you have onward travel roadside assistance and go for it.

Thank you for your replies.

Yes Intercruise gave me those pick up times but said they could not confirm times until 21 days before the cruise.

We opted for free parking but I have spoken to intercruise and they said they are happy for us to change to the coach but P&O would have to make the amendments P&O told me it was up to intercruise i am going to give P&O another ring tomorrow. Intercruise said it is Ellison coaches they would be using.

I think we better opt for the coach as I would hate to miss the ship. I have been worried about driving down on the same day plus you get to meet people on the coach too. 😁

Actually whilst I can't see you missing the boat it would be nicer to have a snooze on the way down or meet some people. Also much better on the way back and not having to worry about having a drink or two on the last night.

Hi we are sailing on Britannia on 30th September we are driving from Newcastle to Southampton. We have never drove to Southampton before we have always used Eavesway travel. We are parking car with CPS.

Our boarding time is 1.30pm we are thinking of leaving at 4am I am hoping this will give us enough time to drive down. Unfortunaty we cannot drive down the day before as we have our own business and my husband needs to be at work that day.

We could have got coach travel through P&O I was wondering wether to change to coach but they now use a company called inter cruise and when I have looked at reviews they are not very good apparently. Has anyone travelled with them? Also they do not leave Newcastle until 6-7am therefore we have been informed we would not be at the ship until between 3-4pm. When we travelled with Eavesway we left Newcastle at 5am.

I may just be feeling anxious as the cruise is 4 weeks away and we have never driven to Southampton before and just worried incase we get held up.

Could someone please put my mind at rest either to drive or go by coach. :confused:

Apart from this dilemma I can't wait for our cruise so close now :D

We live in the Newcastle area as well. Only we are able to travel early.

However have you thought about leaving at 18.00 and driving for 4 hours checking in to a travel lodge or premier inn and doing the last couple of hours in the morning. That has worked for us when we did not have so much time.

BTW the ship will wait for intercruises as they are the linked coach provider.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think you have made a wise decision and yes the cruise atmosphere starts when you board the coach so the "holiday" starts much sooner and no worries.

Not sure if it is your first cruise but have a lovely cruise

Thank you this is our 6th cruise but this would be our first time driving to Southampton we have always travelled by Eavesway coach when we have cruised from Southampton in the past. For some odd reason I thought we would drive!

We live in the Newcastle area as well. Only we are able to travel early.

However have you thought about leaving at 18.00 and driving for 4 hours checking in to a travel lodge or premier inn and doing the last couple of hours in the morning. That has worked for us when we did not have so much time.

BTW the ship will wait for intercruises as they are the linked coach provider.

Thank you for your reply.

Thanks for thinking of that option good idea to travel a few hours and stay overnight then not as far to go the next morning.

If P&O will transfer to coach I think I will choose that option first.

Thank you for your replies.

Yes Intercruise gave me those pick up times but said they could not confirm times until 21 days before the cruise.

We opted for free parking but I have spoken to intercruise and they said they are happy for us to change to the coach but P&O would have to make the amendments P&O told me it was up to intercruise i am going to give P&O another ring tomorrow. Intercruise said it is Ellison coaches they would be using.

I think we better opt for the coach as I would hate to miss the ship. I have been worried about driving down on the same day plus you get to meet people on the coach too. 😁

We used Ellison for the first time in May and they were BRILLIANT!

Having spent Friday trying to get home from Southampton where a 3 . 5 hr journey turned in to a 7 hour trek when the M5, M6 and M42 and A38 had major issues we will use the coach next time. Nightmare journey and not the best way to end a holiday. Can't imagine that stress the day you sail!!!

Have a great cruise and safe journey

If you can't go by coach (look up eavesway or intercruises) then I'd also recommend leaving the evening before, and stopping somewhere on the route, to give you more leeway. If you book a travellodge type place, it won't matter turning up at 10pm or later.

We drive down from East of York. To get to Southampton for us is a good 5hrs driving time, plus stops, plus delays. You'd have that extra section from Newcastle too... There are lots of roadworks and 50mph sections on the M1 (or use A1M) Then there's the risk of getting caught behind an accident.

I'd look at where you can find to stay, about 3-4hrs drive South from Newcastle.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I have spoken to P&O and unfortunately it's too late to transfer to the coach as our car parking has been paid now.

However we are going to drive to maybe Leicester or maybe a bit further the night before and stay in a premier inn or travel lodge so we have a shorter journey the next day.

Any suggestions if Leicester is far enough or if travelling further is recommended. :D

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I have spoken to P&O and unfortunately it's too late to transfer to the coach as our car parking has been paid now.

However we are going to drive to maybe Leicester or maybe a bit further the night before and stay in a premier inn or travel lodge so we have a shorter journey the next day.

Any suggestions if Leicester is far enough or if travelling further is recommended. :D

Try and get down further if you can it will be easier for you next day traffic can be very heavy getting into Southampton

Leicester is a safe distance. If you can manage further then it gives more time on cruise day, so long as you've not knackered yourself driving the night before by going much further! If you leave at 6pm I'd have thought you'd be there by 10pm ish depending on traffic etc.

P.s. Banbury from experience would be a good hour further on.

We always stay over the night before. The other half won't risk the long drive down. Have undertaken the journey several times now and had a huge hold up once with a large crash on the motorway. Air ambulances etc... its worth it for peace of mind. Cps parking excellent.

Thank you

Looks like Banbury it is what time do you recommend leaving Banbury?

The next time I will definitely just book the coach I normally do.

The information and advice you have given is so helpful. :D

Google has the distance at 100mile and journey time of 1hr 37mins. So between 9.30 and 10.00 will get you there before 12.00.