If it's too good to be true....

I'm trying to book a first time cruise for my 18 year daughter and myself over spring break. We are trying to stay budget conscious as much as we can over the Easter holiday which our spring break falls on. I know that we should be booking directly with the cruise line itself but I'm seeing on the big online cruise discount sites savings for the same cruise of more than $500 for the both of us. What am I missing? Are these type of sites too good to be true? I know I won't have the safety net of the cruise line help if something goes wrong but with this much savings is it wrong not to grab up a deal?

Lots of people use on line travel agencies to book. It is safe. The travel agencies have various policies and arrangements with the cruise lines to charge less. You aren't missing anything.

Yes, if you have issues, you need to use the travel agency to handle the problems. Normally that isn't an issue, however last minute or after hours issues can be a problem. But that is rare.

Brick and mortar travel agents- the one just down the block from your house, perhaps- work just fine as well.

FYI- we are not allowed to name or discuss travel agents, online or brick and mortar- on Cruise Critic, so we can't recommend one for you.

Every cruise I have booked through one of 2 large online TAs & have been super happy every time...

Why? Because I have gotten so many perks each time I do (drink packages, paid gratuities, on board credit)

I use a TA at an on-line agency. Benefits include her personal service and attention to what I find in my research -- I find a price drop or rumor of one she checks it out but does not find the price break for me. She has always done better in both prices and perks than the cruise line itself. Ask friends who have cruised before -- maybe they can give you names. A great TA is a wonderful thing! Start a conversation with several TA and pick one that seems to be offering a good deal. Most have a phone number you can use -- I like to talk to them over the phone for more details. Good Luck.

PS remember it is not only about the price -- many factors. You are already factoring in a big thing by going on a school holiday week so that is going to drive up the price and limit availability and air prices will be up also. Sometimes a more expensive cruise line with a special deal is a better match than the cheapest cabin on the cheapest line that is not as well matched to what you want from your cruise. A TA helps you figure that out. It is getting to be the time when prices go up (because of the popularity of cruise or down if it is not selling well) so might want to get your reservation in. Because of the time limitation you can't also hold out for the deal -- other people have had reservation for over a year. Also know that those lowest prices might be gone -- or might never have been. The out the door price is the one that counts. Hope you love your cruise.

Edited by Bowie MeMe

• 2 weeks later...

Best ways to save at booking:

- Book off-season

- Book a port from which you can drive (also eliminates problems of lost luggage and excessive luggage weight)

- Book an inexpensive room

You're perfectly safe to book with a travel agent.

I was watching all this information and did get together with an online TA. She gave me some OBC for signing up, more when I referred a friend and just emailed me that she saved me another $230 and got another $300 OBC. It changed our booking benefits but I ended up with a cheaper cruise overall. Win win! Thanks to CC and all these threads to look into this option. Our cruise is next fall.