It might be easier to find a unicorn in FLL

beachbum53

I'm looking for something that may not exist. A budget friendly hotel in Ft. Lauderdale (under $100.00 a night for two) with shuttle service from the airport to the hotel, and from the hotel to Port Everglades. With good reviews (at least three stars), in a decent area, and within a short walk (less than a mile) to restaurants and stores (to purchase sodas and last minute items). I've looked on Trip Advisor, and found a few "maybes", but reviews are mixed. The closest "maybe" I've found so far is the Comfort Suites in Dania Beach for $110.00, but I don't know what's close by.

I'm looking for something that may not exist. A budget friendly hotel in Ft. Lauderdale (under $100.00 a night for two) with shuttle service from the airport to the hotel, and from the hotel to Port Everglades. With good reviews (at least three stars), in a decent area, and within a short walk (less than a mile) to restaurants and stores (to purchase sodas and last minute items). I've looked on Trip Advisor, and found a few "maybes", but reviews are mixed. The closest "maybe" I've found so far is the Comfort Suites in Dania Beach for $110.00, but I don't know what's close by.

Yeah. It is very hard to find something good in FLL for that price.

I just completed an extensive search as I am bringing a group in next Feb. (2017)

Even with a significantly reduced group rate, the price is still high.

Look at the reviews closely.

Some of the 100.00 a night hotels are dumps.

When are you traveling? Prices vary wildly depending upon the season. High season is Christmas thru April and low season is during the summer.

I just completed an extensive search as I am bringing a group in next Feb. (2017)

Even with a significantly reduced group rate' date=' the price is still high.

[/quote']

February is definitely high season and if you should be looking for Presidents Day week that is the most expensive week in February.

Edited by capriccio

Yeah. It is very hard to find something good in FLL for that price.

Even with a significantly reduced group rate' date=' the price is still high.

Look at the reviews closely.

Some of the 100.00 a night hotels are dumps.[/quote']

I read all of the reviews. I'll be reading along, thinking "Hey, this might be a good possibility", then I'll come across some not-so-good reviews. You're right about lower-priced hotels. Seems like anything priced under $99.00 a night has more bad than good reviews. The search continues....

When are you traveling? Prices vary wildly depending upon the season. High season is Christmas thru April and low season is during the summer.

Our cruise is the last week of May. I'm finding that to get what I want, I can expect to pay $150.00 or more per night. Yikes! Not exactly "budget friendly". :eek:

Brand new property. We stayed there in November. Have to pay for shuttle to port. Airport shuttle is free. Strip mall with Kmart and other stores and restaurants nearby. We always stay at one of several places there at I-95 and Stirling Rd. Never had any problems.

Agree with recommendation of the new Comfort Suites or any other hotel near I-95/Stirling Road interchange. Because basically you have two choices: make your budget realistic or stay in a total craphole. And when you find a good property in a good location, don't worry about whether or not there is a shuttle; cabs are cheap and plentiful (most airport area hotels will be under $15 for airport to hotel or hotel to port) while shuttles are almost always crowded and slow and run on their schedule not yours.

Brand new property. We stayed there in November. Have to pay for shuttle to port. Airport shuttle is free. Strip mall with Kmart and other stores and restaurants nearby. We always stay at one of several places there at I-95 and Stirling Rd. Never had any problems.

When you say "brand new property", are you referring to the Comfort Suites I mentioned? Just to make sure, is it the one located on West 19th Court? Approximately how close is the strip mall and restaurants? I haven't called the hotel yet, but so far, this looks to be the closest I'm going find to what I'm looking for.

Our cruise is the last week of May. I'm finding that to get what I want, I can expect to pay $150.00 or more per night. Yikes! Not exactly "budget friendly". :eek:

Are you looking for a hotel on Memorial Day (May 30th) weekend? That will be pricier than the rest of the month. Many posters recommend the Hyatt Place 17th Street Convention Center especially when booked thru valuetrips.com. You might want to check that out.

Are you looking for a hotel on Memorial Day (May 30th) weekend? That will be pricier than the rest of the month. Many posters recommend the Hyatt Place 17th Street Convention Center especially when booked thru valuetrips.com. You might want to check that out.

No, actually it will be the week prior. The cruise ends on the 28th.

Agree with recommendation of the new Comfort Suites or any other hotel near I-95/Stirling Road interchange. Because basically you have two choices: make your budget realistic or stay in a total craphole. And when you find a good property in a good location, don't worry about whether or not there is a shuttle; cabs are cheap and plentiful (most airport area hotels will be under $15 for airport to hotel or hotel to port) while shuttles are almost always crowded and slow and run on their schedule not yours.

If it was just me and my wife, there would be a little more flexibility in the budget, and the two of us would have no problem getting a taxi. However, we'll have other (adult) family members going with us, and their budget is a little tighter than ours. I'm also certain that no one will be willing to stay in a "craphole" hotel just to save $20.00 or $30.00. From what I've found so far, the Comfort Suites will be a compromise. $110.00 per night for two, and a AAA discount will make it a little less. The shuttle from the airport to the hotel is free, and I believe the shuttle to the port is $7.00 pp. The cruise is about four months away, so I still have time to do some research before presenting my findings to everyone.

When you say "brand new property", are you referring to the Comfort Suites I mentioned? Just to make sure, is it the one located on West 19th Court? Approximately how close is the strip mall and restaurants? I haven't called the hotel yet, but so far, this looks to be the closest I'm going find to what I'm looking for.

If you put "Comfort Inn Dania Beach FL" into Google maps, you'll get a good idea of what is around. The Hotel is on the NW side of I95 and Stirling Road. Kmart is on the SE side about 1/4 to 1/2 mile away. I've stayed in the area pre-cruise a few years back (at the Springhill Suites) and had no proble walking to Kmart for last minute supplies. There are a few fast food places (McDonalds, Subway) and a couple of other sandwich shops/restaurants in the area.

No, actually it will be the week prior. The cruise ends on the 28th.

I just checked value trips. A room is $99 in May for 2 adults ($10 night per additional adult). It's in a great location, walking distance to shops, restaurants, and the sun trolley (http://www.suntrolley.com) for cheap transportation). Just do a 'search' on this forum for feedback from lots of cruisers who stay there. Here's one thread that asked opinions of the hotel: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2234097&highlight=hyatt+place

Edited by capriccio

Comfort Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South & Cruise Port

191 South West 19th Court

Dania Beach, FL, US, 33004

+1 (954) 771-4800

We stayed there pre and post cruise in September. It is a very nice hotel. It's only been open less than a year. There's a Subway across the road (4 lane highway) or a sandwich place a short walk from the hotel on same side of the road which we ate at twice. Very good subs! As others stated there is a Burger King 1/4 mile and strip mall with Kmart and many other stores about 1/2 mile away. It would be a hike to carry 12 packs of pop back to the hotel. When we were there it was pouring out and we called the hotel and they sent the shuttle to Kmart to pick us up. I'm not sure if they offer that regularly or if they just felt bad because it was raining so hard. Anyway I reviewed this hotel and posted pictures in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2259321&highlight=comfort+suites

If you put "Comfort Inn Dania Beach FL" into Google maps, you'll get a good idea of what is around. The Hotel is on the NW side of I95 and Stirling Road. Kmart is on the SE side about 1/4 to 1/2 mile away. I've stayed in the area pre-cruise a few years back (at the Springhill Suites) and had no proble walking to Kmart for last minute supplies. There are a few fast food places (McDonalds, Subway) and a couple of other sandwich shops/restaurants in the area.

Thanks for the tip on using Google maps. Don't know why I didn't think of that. :o

I just checked value trips. A room is $99 in May for 2 adults ($10 night per additional adult). It's in a great location, walking distance to shops, restaurants, and the sun trolley (www.suntrolley.com) for cheap transportation). Just do a 'search' on this forum for feedback from lots of cruisers who stay there. Here's one thread that asked opinions of the hotel: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2234097&highlight=hyatt+place

Thank-you. I'll add this to the list of possible choices.

I've stayed in Ft Lauderdale several times, and I prefer to be near the cruise port. A lot of restaurants and shopping within walking distance. It depends what season you are going there, because we usually cruise out of there during high season (Feb), and the cost can be pretty high. We have stayed at the Hilton and the Renaissance--both directly across from the cruise port. Last year, I paid $265 with my AAA discount, $303 without. We took a taxi from airport to hotel (no shuttle), which cost $15. The hotel does have a shuttle to cruise port at $6pp. You may find it next to impossible to find a decent hotel in that area for $100. I usually just book it, and don't tell my hubby what it cost! LOL! (And I check us in, so he never knows!)

I've stayed in Ft Lauderdale several times, and I prefer to be near the cruise port. A lot of restaurants and shopping within walking distance. It depends what season you are going there, because we usually cruise out of there during high season (Feb), and the cost can be pretty high. We have stayed at the Hilton and the Renaissance--both directly across from the cruise port. Last year, I paid $265 with my AAA discount, $303 without. We took a taxi from airport to hotel (no shuttle), which cost $15. The hotel does have a shuttle to cruise port at $6pp. You may find it next to impossible to find a decent hotel in that area for $100. I usually just book it, and don't tell my hubby what it cost! LOL! (And I check us in, so he never knows!)

Thanks. I'm guessing you didn't read through all of the previous posts. We'll be there the week before Memorial weekend. Leading the list of possibilities (so far) is the Comfort Suites in Dania Beach. The Hyatt on 17th St. is a very close second. I just couldn't bring myself to pay $265.00 a night for a hotel room. That's almost half the cost of what I'm paying (individually) for the cruise, and doesn't include meals, live entertainment, or anything else that's included with the cruise. Even $100.00 a night is crazy, but I've also discovered that to pay less gets you a room in a not-so-great hotel.

The shuttle from the airport to the hotel is free, and I believe the shuttle to the port is $7.00 pp.

I have found that the shuttles that the hotels run are often much more expensive than a taxi.

And there is a lot of waiting around for the shuttle to fill up, etc...

For $7.00 per person (shuttle) you might look at taking a taxi.

Just some additional thoughts.

.....gone are the days when "a shuttle" is always the economically sound choice.

If it was just me and my wife, there would be a little more flexibility in the budget, and the two of us would have no problem getting a taxi. However, we'll have other (adult) family members going with us, and their budget is a little tighter than ours. I'm also certain that no one will be willing to stay in a "craphole" hotel just to save $20.00 or $30.00. From what I've found so far, the Comfort Suites will be a compromise. $110.00 per night for two, and a AAA discount will make it a little less. The shuttle from the airport to the hotel is free, and I believe the shuttle to the port is $7.00 pp. The cruise is about four months away, so I still have time to do some research before presenting my findings to everyone.

Okay, your budget isn't unrealistic for mid to late May.

Take the shuttle out of your equation. They are usually a PIA and people end up taking a cab or Uber anyway because the times are awful.

Look at the Holiday Inn Express on 17th Street. It is an inexpensive cab ride from the airport and to the port.

Plus you are within walking distance to TONS of restaurants, shopping, and grocery/wine/liquor stores.

Also, look at the Comfort Suites on 17th and Federal Highway.

ValueTrips usually has the Hyatt Place off 17th Street (I think it is on 10th) for $99. http://www.ValueTrips.com so if they have that, book it.

Staying on Sterling/Griffin Road when hotels on 17th Street are the same price just isn't smart.

Based on the hotels suggested, here's what I've found (this will be for one night, May 21st, for a room for two):

Hyatt 17th St. - $184.00

Comfort Suites 191 South West 19th Court - Dania Beach - $110.00

Comfort Suites 17th & Federal Hwy. - $119.00

Holiday Inn Express 17th St. - $219.00

and, I came across this as well:

Clarion 1055 N. Federal Hwy. - $120.00

Obviously, the Comfort Suites on South West 19th Court is the lowest. BlueHerons, since you're familiar with the area, and you suggested looking at the Comfort Suites on 17th & Federal Hwy., and it's only $9.00 more, would it be a better location as far as finding restaurants and stores within a short walking distance, or would the one at Dania Beach be just as good a choice, given that it's fairly new?

Based on the hotels suggested, here's what I've found (this will be for one night, May 21st, for a room for two):

Hyatt 17th St. - $184.00

Did you look at Valuetrips for the Hyatt Place? they list it at $99.00/night for that time period. That is a far better property in a far better location than any of the others.

http://www.valuetrips.com/AMS/FL/F17.htm

Edited by K&RCurt