Help! May cancel a 7-day Norwegian cruise, what can I do?

nyssgg

Thanks for everyone's suggestion.

First, hope the exam result is good, then no worries.

Second, if bad result, we will ask doctor to do the surgery on same day or next day of the exam, then my wife can have 2-3 days of rest before departure and according to some online forum, it is enough for D&C surgery recovery.

If the hospital cannot arrange so soon, delay another 2 days, we have an option to let my wife fly to the next port and meet us there, because our cruise's first 2 days are at sea, skipping the first section will buy her 2 more days of rest.

Thanks for everyone's suggestion.

First, hope the exam result is good, then no worries.

Second, if bad result, we will ask doctor to do the surgery on same day or next day of the exam, then my wife can have 2-3 days of rest before departure and according to some online forum, it is enough for D&C surgery recovery.

If the hospital cannot arrange so soon, delay another 2 days, we have an option to let my wife fly to the next port and meet us there, because our cruise's first 2 days are at sea, skipping the first section will buy her 2 more days of rest.

Here's to hoping the exam goes well.

As to the second option, an important question...What is the first port? The US has a frustrating, archaic law that might or might not interfere.

I've had two miscarriages and a D&C (is that the surgery you are referring to) for one of them? She may not emotionally feel up to it but technically she should still be able to cruise after the D&C. It will be like a very heavy period for her but if they do this 3 days before, she may be past her heaviest flow by then. I don't think you have to cancel your cruise unless she's just not feeling up to it emotionally. After losing a baby, getting away may be just what she needs but everyone handles these things differently. I'm sorry you both are going through this. :(

This. Went through the exact scenario minus the one week wait to be diagnosed. I was diagnosed, had a dc, and went on a cruise the next day.

Thank you very much for your suggestion. We will ask doctor if the result is bad, if they can arrange D&C surgery on the same day or next day. I hope they can accommodate our request.

I pray that you have the outcome you are seeking and if the news is not good news, I pray that she recovers quickly. The physical aspect of a D&C isn't as physically taxing as it may seem. She should be fine to travel. But, emotionally as her HCG levels come back down she may be emotional (because of the circumstances AND hormones) so be present and be patient.

Edited by cruisecritiquer

Good news. Heartbeats were detected and we are going cruise as originally scheduled!

Thanks again for everyone's bless and helpful suggestions!

so happy for you. I understand all that concern - been there and it's so hard to process all the what ifs. So glad it all worked out and there's a little bean in there growing and growing. For the record, my "concern" with uncertain ultrasounds is 8 and a total character! Enjoy your cruise!

Great News

Doctors sometimes jump the gun with bad news. I'll tell you why I believe to trust your gut.

24 years ago I had a bad back problem and was admitted to the hospital. I had bone scans, MRIs, cat scans, I was on morphine for pain. After 6 days they couldn't pin point the problem and I was sent home. A few days later I realized I had missed my period and did a home pregnancy test and found out I was pregnant. Excited my scared out of my mind because of the drugs and tests I went to the doctor and he told me I should terminate the pregnancy because the baby would most likely be severely deformed. I had already had 1 ectopic pregnancy and 4 miscarriages before this so I wanted this baby. I went to two more doctors and they said the same thing....terminate the pregnancy. A friend of mine asked me if I had spoken with genetic counseling which I had not so I went to see them and they told me that if I had under 5 RADS the baby could be healthy. If above 5 chances were the baby would be deformed. I waited 3 long days to get the amount from the hospital. It came back at 1.5. I had every test possible going forward and every test came back with normal results.

Needless to say I now have a healthy amazing 23 year old miracle son. Because after he was born I was pregnant another 7 times that all ended in miscarriages. I was pregnant 13 times in my life and HE is the only baby I ever had.

Moral of the story go with your gut and get 2 or more opinions. While doctors are wonderful they don't know everything.

Edited by FootballParent