Recommendations Rome to Civitavecchia

cruise101

We are looking at options for getting from Rome to Civitavecchia. We are aware of the rail option (from Terminni station) but since we are 4 of us we'd prefer getting picked up at our hotel and driven to the port. There are several providers on this service which one can find on the internet, but I am looking for specific suggestions based on your personal experiences. Thx in advance for your help/guidance.

Some hotels offer a shuttle van to and from the port. We split one of those with another couple, even though we were staying at a different hotel. Your roll call should be a good place to make that kind of arrangement.

We've used AIM Limo in Rome before and will again this fall for our Med Cruise. Mercedes van will comfortably fit four adults and a lot of luggage.:D

We use them for airport transfers as well.

Cheers!

Edited by AZNative2000

Another vote for Rome Cabs. We have used them numerous times in our two cruises through Rome. Very punctual and dependable. I think the cost from Rome to the port is around 200 Euros, split 4 ways is not too bad considering its about a 90 minute drive.

I've used both Rome Cabs and Rome in Limo. They are equally reliable and usually priced about the same. With four of you to share the cost, you'll probably pay less than the Celebrity transfers.

Used RomeCabs two weeks ago for transfers from FCO to central Rome and later to the port. Excellent service both times. I've also had excellent service for tours from Rome in Limo, but haven't used them for transfers.

Much nicer than grabbing a taxi at the airport and a lot less effort than using the train to the port with lots of bags. They drop you off right at the luggage check in at the port.

Edited by rdt10

RomeinLimo

We are huge Romeinlimo fans. They have never let us down and the drivers are almost tour guides. Great cars and service.

One thing to remember is as there are 4 of you and luggage may be a problem When you book, let them know about your luggage needs. A van may be needed.

Taking the train into Rome is easy.... Take the train to Termini and then use the Hop on Hop off bus to get around town. Saves lots of money and you get much more of the local flavor

I think you misread the OP's question. It is from Rome to the port with 2 couples and their luggage.

But to counter your suggestion, yes, the train is cheaper but really, it takes a lot longer (to and from Rome) and you are on your own. A car and driver gets you there sooner and the driver acts like a guide and an get you to the sites sooner (missing the greater part of the crowds).

But to counter your suggestion, yes, the train is cheaper but really, it takes a lot longer (to and from Rome) and you are on your own. A car and driver gets you there sooner and the driver acts like a guide and an get you to the sites sooner (missing the greater part of the crowds).

Is a car really faster? I thought a car takes 60 - 90 min and a train takes 40-75 depending on which station you get off at (faster to S.Pietri and longer to Termini) and whether you get the express train or not

From Rome Toolkit

Travelling from Civitavecchia a typical train will stop at S Pietro (40 mins), Trastevere (50 mins), Ostiense (55 mins) and finally Termini (70 mins). S Pietro is around 15 minutes walk to the Vatican and St Peter's Square.

Tripadvisor says some express trains only take 40 min to Termini.

We've got 2 small kids, 5 & 6 and are thinking that they would be happier walking around on a train for 45 min than sitting in a car for 60 - 90 min

I'd recommend Rome Airport Transportation. Please have a look at my Tripadvisor review from May 2014 (under my name Orleans51); I used them 4 times in 1 trip and all went well.

The train is less expensive but it is a schlep to get there, then the hassle with luggage, you're better off having the luxurious Mercedes minivan drive you from A to B and meet you right at the ship, they have a special parking permit to drop off and collect passengers at the ship instead of just at the terminal. The drivers were very courteous too, which adds to the whole travel thing, don't you think?

Enjoy!

We have used Romecabs several times and were happy of their services. March 2015, we tried another company called airportstaxitransfers for the very first time. They were just as good and cheaper. We will definitely use them again in the future.

Any thoughts on transfers from the Civitavecchia cruise port to Rome FCO

with 10 people? We're 6 adults and 4 kids ranging in age 4-14

Most of the websites I've checked have 8 people as their max.

Some in group have limited mobility so the train is not

a good option for us.

Thanks

I was recently in Civitavecchia on Celebrity Equinox and did not have any excursions planned. I took the shuttle from the port and was able to arrange a great private tour with some people I met. Four of us had the pleasure of spending the day with Georgi (business card attached) and it was totally amazing. I would highly recommend him for a private tour or transfer etc.

Prices are very reasonable, vehicle is clean and he is a super nice man. Following the tour we were dropped off right at the port 10 paces from our ship. I chuckled as I saw all the people climbing off the huge tour bus next to us as I was helped out of the vehicle by Georgi, kissed on both cheeks and bid a fond farewell, like visiting with an old friend. Great tour, great guy, good prices and I felt very safe and comfortable. Hope this helps :)

Georgi.jpg.5455cfc394bcf520be4d7fe7f7e8c2ed.jpg

Since I'm cruising solo, I will get the NCL shuttle which seems like the most affordable option for the least amount of hassle. Normally I would take a train but with the transfer and having to carry luggage up/down stairs, I'm a little wary...