What's wrong with the Odyssey?

Flamin_June

I asking this question, as in recent days three regular posters here have said, pretty much independently of each other, that they don't like the Odyssey, or that they prefer the Quest and Sojourn.

I would be interested in what other seasoned Seabourn sailors have to say on the issue. I have cut and pasted my original, off topic, question, from another thread, here:

"Could I ask what it is about the Odyssey you dislike, or what is better on the Sojourn & Quest ? I thought the ships were all identical, so is it just a question of crew/staff differences, or something more substantial ?

Will shortly be on our first 'big girl' cruise, on the Odyssey, and as the 'little sisters' have been such a good fit for us I am a little aprehensive about the new experience. Forewarned is forearmed and being aware of any issues, one is less likely to feel as dissapointed."

Lincslady has responded elsewhere that the Odyssey suffers from a 'judder' when an engine shuts down or starts up.

concerning myself : it was not a good team during that cruise

i had several complaints and the hotel manager- on the Odyssey - refused to see me and afterwards i did complain to HQ by letter

also - what never did happened before on SB - i had to send back 3 times a plate from burned food to "carpaccio" style lamb and wine service was bad during lunchtime on the Colonnade

that chef is not working for SB anymore

when last year that particular hotel manager was on board the Quest during the last days of the cruise - to take over - he refused to greet me

friends were on another cruise with that partucular man and did also complained about his line of conduct.

of course i cannot mention his name...

"what's wrong with the Odyssey?"

Not a lot really! We were on the Odyssey for 18 days in May following the refit and found little to realistically fault.

The staff, food and wine available all compared extremely well with our experiences last year on both the Quest and Sojourn and overall it was possibly our most enjoyable Seabourn cruise.

On two occasions the wrong dish was served in the MDR but speedily rectified and the standard coffee is not very good in the Colonnade. I get round this by ordering a cappuccino which is usually excellent.

One of the forward elevators was out of service but I doubt that this really inconvenienced anyone.

The MDR was open for breakfast and lunch for the first 11 day segment but closed for the following 7 day segment in line with Seabourn policy.

Really a most enjoyable experience and we're looking forward to rejoining the Odyssey later this year.

One of the forward elevators was out of service but I doubt that this really inconvenienced anyone.

That elevator was out of service as early as March when another poster reported it here... and was still out of service when we disembarked in early June.

I wonder if/when it was finally repaired? I noted it on my guest survey when I returned home.

Perhaps the 'vibration' is suite location dependent? We certainly cannot recall being troubled by it.
We spent three months on it in 2012...LA to LA. The first night the vibration was terrible and they came and put shims in the cracks between the wall and ceiling. That helped enough to get by. It does not seem to be suite dependent. I talked with one of the crew and they pretty much said there was no rhyme or reason to it. When I called, they were johnny on the spot, came right in with the shims. Anyhow I probably would pick the other two over it because of that experience. However, Mark Dexter the captain is so wonderful....I'd probably go anyhow if the itinerary worked for us.

"what's wrong with the Odyssey?"

Not a lot really! We were on the Odyssey for 18 days in May following the refit and found little to realistically fault....

The MDR was open for breakfast and lunch for the first 11 day segment but closed for the following 7 day segment in line with Seabourn policy....

Really a most enjoyable experience and we're looking forward to rejoining the Odyssey later this year.

I sailed on the 11 day segment, and can equally vouch for a splendid voyage!

Thanks for all your comments so far.

It does seem, and I know this from my own experience, that much depends on the 'chemistry' between Crew/Catain and Hotel Manager; generally a happy crew = happy passengers and vice versa.

Bad vibrations in the Odyssey's case seem stem from the engine room rather than shipboard management. It would be interesting to know which suites folks who experieced the vibrations were in - and the same for those who were not troubled.

We will be on deck 5, as low down and close to the middle as possible. I am hoping that the intensity of the vibrations is not more noticeable the lower down one is. On the other hand, there has been virtually no mention of it in recent years, so perhaps it has been fixed.

We spent three months on it in 2012...LA to LA. The first night the vibration was terrible and they came and put shims in the cracks between the wall and ceiling. That helped enough to get by. It does not seem to be suite dependent. I talked with one of the crew and they pretty much said there was no rhyme or reason to it. When I called, they were johnny on the spot, came right in with the shims. Anyhow I probably would pick the other two over it because of that experience. However, Mark Dexter the captain is so wonderful....I'd probably go anyhow if the itinerary worked for us.

Nancy, Mark Dexter was the captain on the Sojourn in March, his first time on Sojourn having been on Odyssey for 4 years. We thought he was marvellous. I hope to see him again later this year.

We were in 630 on Odyssey for 2 weeks May 2012. No vibration that we noticed and an excellent location in stormy high seas. We enjoyed this cruise more that the Quest cruise last November. We thought the food was better and the crew a great team.

We've had the pleasure of sailing on all three new ships and in fact took Quest out on her Maiden Voyage

All three ships are practically the same if you did not know each ship you wouldn't spot the subtle differences

What makes a ship is it's crew and passengers our last three cruises have been on Odyssey and Quest and I have to admit the Odyssey crew were the best by far.

Have a great cruise!

The ships are almost technically identical although of course the Quest has its strengthened hull for Capt Larsen's Antarctic cruises.

The Odyssey, as the first build, did have a vibration issue but this was resolved in a refit 2 years or so ago with the same design carrying over/from the other 2 ships.

We have lots of days on Odyssey and Quest but not yet on Sojourn. We have found that the captains pretty much stay put with the exception of Capt Dexter spending a bit of time recently on Sojourn. We have also immensely enjoyed small ships' Capt Anderssen when we have seen him on Odyssey (and hope to see him on Seabourn again). That said, there are movements of other staff among the ships so there is always a mix of familiar faces among them.

Happy sailing!

Edited by markham

vistaman,

Were the initials VA?

I find VA to be the worst HD that Seabourn has.

He is not very sociable but I understand that his office work is good probably because he hides himself away there.

Last time I was on the Sojourn the only time he was seen was every day in the gym in the afternoon rather than around the ship.

He would be a much better Funeral director rather than a Hotel director.

Mr luxury & wripro, While I did not consider VA omnipresent (that designation went to bouzi)and did not need to request a meeting with him ( I would be furious if refused.) we did dine with VA. He was a gregarious, animated host with a fun sense of humor...but then, I have a good friend who is a funeral director and he,too, is great fun!

It is just his 'reclusiveness' that is an issue?

concerning myself : it was not a good team during that cruise

i had several complaints and the hotel manager- on the Odyssey - refused to see me and afterwards i did complain to HQ by letter

also - what never did happened before on SB - i had to send back 3 times a plate from burned food to "carpaccio" style lamb and wine service was bad during lunchtime on the Colonnade

that chef is not working for SB anymore

when last year that particular hotel manager was on board the Quest during the last days of the cruise - to take over - he refused to greet me

friends were on another cruise with that partucular man and did also complained about his line of conduct.

of course i cannot mention his name...

Why not, neither Seabourn nor CC makes you sign a NDA.

Sent via squirrels and a rotary phone

• 2 months later...

I spent 35 days on back to back segments on the Odyssey earlier this year. The seas were incredibly smooth and there was only one instance of a shudder - for about 3 minutes (it was pretty horrid I must admit) during lunch. One staff on board says it happens every now and then, even after it was 'rectified'.

Other than that - it was fantastic. BTW- The one elevator was even then not working but everything else was top notch even though Odyssey was heading into dry dock. We did a short 1 week leg on the Legend just to try one of the 'little sisters' before they all leave the fleet. I did not enjoy a week - I barely unpacked. I can't see doing less than 3 weeks so I guess I'm going to have to retire in my 40s to support my new cruising addiction. I would choose to return to the Odyssey as I enjoyed my time so much - except for visiting Antarctica on the Quest which is a must do I hear.....

The Odyssey is the 1st elegant Big Sister. I was aboard for the 1st TA Crossing. She is fantastic! and the Senior Staff and the Crew Team 6*'s ~~The "Older Gal" really is the "Queen" and all passengers in her court ~

Look forward to an unforgettable voyage ~Please say a "Howdy" to all, from the Seabourn Texas Scalawag :eek:

Martita B

I find VA to be the worst HD that Seabourn has.

He is not very sociable but I understand that his office work is good probably because he hides himself away there.

Last time I was on the Sojourn the only time he was seen was every day in the gym in the afternoon rather than around the ship.

He would be a much better Funeral director rather than a Hotel director.

We found him very unremarkable. Glad we wont sail again with him

Strange...we find him to be one of Seabourn's 2 best - in terms of visibility, effectiveness, and professionalism. And one of the few with the expertise and confidence to immediately address any issues that arise without hiding behind Seattle. In many respects, we were sorry to see his new corporate responsibilities limit his time on ships.

Although we sailed the maiden voyage on all three big sisters, the Odyssey remains a sentimental favorite for us. The mysterious vibration, when it does happen, is most evident in the stern so you should be fine. And we have the highest level of respect - and genuine fondness - for Captain Dexter. Enjoy!

Strange...we find him to be one of Seabourn's 2 best - in terms of visibility, effectiveness, and professionalism. And one of the few with the expertise and confidence to immediately address any issues that arise without hiding behind Seattle. In many respects, we were sorry to see his new corporate responsibilities limit his time on ships.

Although we sailed the maiden voyage on all three big sisters, the Odyssey remains a sentimental favorite for us. The mysterious vibration, when it does happen, is most evident in the stern so you should be fine. And we have the highest level of respect - and genuine fondness - for Captain Dexter. Enjoy!

I'm in agreement with you. VA has always looked after us very well.

I do believe that he will now oversee the build of the new ship in Italy.

V & H