Need opinions on this dress

toxicfairy

I love it! Your daughter is correct. [emoji4]

I have to agree with that assessment!! Toss some heavy or long earrings plus high heels and its the perfect dress.:)

Edited by maywell

I like it from what i can see. Daughter says it's simple but elegant. Huaband say hmm not sure. I'll probably order it and try it on . What do you all think?

I LOVE it!! As a matter of fact, I'd like one just like it! :) If you like it and feel comfortable in it, wear it and enjoy it! And btw ... don't know your age, but trust me, if it looks good on you, you like it and feel comfortable, age has nothing to do with it! Wear it and enjoy! :)

Thank you for the opinions. No I'm not over 55( though I'm not sure what that has to do with it) but I'm not 25 either:rolleyes: I'm 48.

I have worn gowns on Formal nights that are fitted and sexy to gowns that had the little girls on board yelling " mommy look it's the princess" (that gown was my all time favorite). I've worn ivory, black, green, purple, and magenta. If Iike it I wear it. I am only 5 ft without heels and go between 120-114(last summer). If I went with only age appropriate hight appropriate I'd probably wind up in a potato sack...lol.

This one is on clearance so I think i might just try it and see. Never know until it is on me.

I would never wear sleeves like that. But I'm not wearing the dress- you are ;-)

I agree. Those sleeves are likely annoying after a short while. I imagine they'll be sliding all over the place. It's only a matter of personal taste and I'm sorry to be so blunt but you asked. :o Just not my taste.

I agree. Those sleeves are likely annoying after a short while. I imagine they'll be sliding all over the place. It's only a matter of personal taste and I'm sorry to be so blunt but you asked. :o Just not my taste.

Add me to the list that agrees.

Either it has sleeves or it doesn't, not something half and half.

Thank you for the opinions. No I'm not over 55( though I'm not sure what that has to do with it) but I'm not 25 either:rolleyes: I'm 48.

I have worn gowns on Formal nights that are fitted and sexy to gowns that had the little girls on board yelling " mommy look it's the princess" (that gown was my all time favorite). I've worn ivory, black, green, purple, and magenta. If Iike it I wear it. I am only 5 ft without heels and go between 120-114(last summer). If I went with only age appropriate hight appropriate I'd probably wind up in a potato sack...lol.

This one is on clearance so I think i might just try it and see. Never know until it is on me.

Wow! I can't believe some of the rude comments. Age is a state of mind. everyone knows their body. If you like the dress, wear it! Don't let the dark clouds rain on your parade! [emoji3] [emoji483]

Good for you! Go for it! :)

Wow! I can't believe some of the rude comments. Age is a state of mind. everyone knows their body. If you like the dress, wear it! Don't let the dark clouds rain on your parade! [emoji3] [emoji483]

I agree .... you are only as old as you feel and act!! I am ALOT older than you, but I'd wear it in a minute! Sleeves, smeeves!! If it's annoying to YOU, than you can change later in the evening! Seriously, my husband shops online and in catalogues for me sometimes, buys me beautiful things in the stores for birthdays and other occasions, and after 46 years of marriage still does a good job! I'm very active, both mentally and physically, work out, eat healthy (for the most part, lol!) busy all the time, travel, have fun with my husband, kids and my grandkids, wear a size 4-6 depending, and generally have fun with my life. I do believe that if you stop moving and growing .... you really WILL stop moving and growing! I'm also NOT one of those 'old ladies that tries to look '16' either! That can be another whole topic altogether, as there is a difference between appropriate and not appropriate ... however, it's not age defined either. We have friends the same age as us and at about age 40 they both began to age like they were in their 70s! Today neither of them do much more than go out to eat, lie in bed and watch TV! They also have all kinds of health problems now too. I won't even get into what she wear for clothes! Age appropriate doesn't mean 'total lack of style', it means wearing something that looks appropriate and stylish on YOU! I can't wait to see a picture of you in the dress! :)

I agree .... you are only as old as you feel and act!! I am ALOT older than you, but I'd wear it in a minute! Sleeves, smeeves!! If it's annoying to YOU, than you can change later in the evening! Seriously, my husband shops online and in catalogues for me sometimes, buys me beautiful things in the stores for birthdays and other occasions, and after 46 years of marriage still does a good job! I'm very active, both mentally and physically, work out, eat healthy (for the most part, lol!) busy all the time, travel, have fun with my husband, kids and my grandkids, wear a size 4-6 depending, and generally have fun with my life. I do believe that if you stop moving and growing .... you really WILL stop moving and growing! I'm also NOT one of those 'old ladies that tries to look '16' either! That can be another whole topic altogether, as there is a difference between appropriate and not appropriate ... however, it's not age defined either. We have friends the same age as us and at about age 40 they both began to age like they were in their 70s! Today neither of them do much more than go out to eat, lie in bed and watch TV! They also have all kinds of health problems now too. I won't even get into what she wear for clothes! Age appropriate doesn't mean 'total lack of style', it means wearing something that looks appropriate and stylish on YOU! I can't wait to see a picture of you in the dress! :)

Well said! My own mother (74 years young) is very active, travels, works out and dates! I plan on following in her foot steps.

e! Sleeves, smeeves!! If it's annoying to YOU, than you can change later in the evening!

Why would anyone spend money on something that isn't comfortable to wear? When I dress for dinner, I plan to stay in those clothes all night long.

If the sleeves don't bother you, fine, that's great. But it makes no sense to find them annoying but wear the dress anyway....

(I live in the country, I do a TON of shopping online - that's a totally separate issue in my mind. Some people like it, some don't, but OP wasn't asking for opinions on her method of shopping, just on the dress)

Yes, we should all be polite online. But when someone asks for opinions, it is acceptable to offer them. In a polite manner, of course:p

Why would anyone spend money on something that isn't comfortable to wear? When I dress for dinner, I plan to stay in those clothes all night long. Everyone is different! :)

If the sleeves don't bother you, fine, that's great. But it makes no sense to find them annoying but wear the dress anyway.... Again, to each his own!

(I live in the country, I do a TON of shopping online - that's a totally separate issue in my mind. Some people like it, some don't, but OP wasn't asking for opinions on her method of shopping, just on the dress) Once more, just elaborating on how some people do things. Last time I checked that was allowed! :)

Yes, we should all be polite online. But when someone asks for opinions, it is acceptable to offer them. In a polite manner, of course:p

Yes it is .... and it's also acceptable to add ones own opinions on the topic in general. :)

I like it from what i can see. Daughter says it's simple but elegant. Huaband say hmm not sure. I'll probably order it and try it on . What do you all think?

I agree with your daughter! The dress is simple and elegant. I tried on a dress like that and I am 60+. It looked elegant. You are dressing for an occasion. Enjoy it!

Hi toxicfairy,

I am going to be 59 in July. I know my body and I know my style. Only my husband's opinion matter. Since your husband is not sure about the dress, perhaps you should rethink about it. Or, buy it, try it on, who knows, he might likes it.

I have posted many pictures of myself on this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2018938&page=43. But, I have never ask for an opinion of what I should wear or buy. I believe everyone should know her body and what look good on her. To each his own.

I love this fashion board; I have leaned a lot. I just bought my first pair of Born's. Thanks Lois R.

Happy shopping

M

Edited by Porthopper101

I like the dress. Unless it comes in petite sizes (2, 4 or 6 petite - 4'11"), it would be out for me.

The sleeves would probably drive me nuts (it's hard to say without trying it on and wearing it), but if that were the case, they do look like they could easily enough be modified - sewn up completely, or some fancy buttons and loops to partially close in a few places, or even taken off entirely.

~shrug~ If the price is right and the rest of the dress fits well, sleeves are the least of it.

Edited by srlafleur

Kind of like Princess Diana's wedding gown the dress looks like it's wearing the model.

I think it's a bit too much going on for one dress. If you want the high slit great, but either remove the sleeves or make them a solid or solid sheer. If you want the offset neckline great, but get rid of the slit and slit sleeves. Coco Chanel would agree. There's simply too many details trying to fight for the attention of the eye and it makes it a distracting hot mess.

Wow didn't mean to start a war . Yes I was looking for opinions not on whether I SHOULD buy the dress/gown but just what others thought of it. I don't mind the negative it's not really negative it's just other opinions. It's on clearance at kohls but not carried in the stores. I'm going to wait until the next coupons come out and if it's still available I'm going to order it and try it out. I still have over a year until my next cruise but I am ?? Some call it cheap some call it thrifty;)

Kind of like Princess Diana's wedding gown the dress looks like it's wearing the model.

I think it's a bit too much going on for one dress. If you want the high slit great, but either remove the sleeves or make them a solid or solid sheer. If you want the offset neckline great, but get rid of the slit and slit sleeves. Coco Chanel would agree. There's simply too many details trying to fight for the attention of the eye and it makes it a distracting hot mess.

Agree with this. At very first glance I was slightly ambivalent about it, but after a closer look I do agree that the details of the dress are competing/fighting with each other a bit. Especially because there is a lot of ruching on the body as well (which is hard to see in the pic you posted, but I went and found it on Kohls.com)

I do like it much better in the shorter version if that's something you're comfortable wearing. Then again, if you like the long dress you go ahead and rock that as well. Sometimes clothing looks much different in person/on someone other than the model.