Uber from FLL to port

HUNKY

Has anyone used Uber to go from FLL to Port Everglades?

I realize it's a quick trip, but Uber "black cars" are SO MUCH NICER than a beat up taxi, and much less than booking a limo in advance.

We used Uber in Boston and it was great!

• 1 month later...
For a 10-15 minute ride?:confused:

Absolutely. You get limousine quality service including assistance with luggage; a roomy Town Car or SUV interior; bottled water and cashless payment all for about the cost of a taxi. I use them everywhere I can. If Uber were an option from FLL or MIA to the nearby ports, I would use them every time.

• 3 weeks later...

Their website shows them in FLL.... going to try them Saturday morning, from the Hilton Garden Inn to the ship. They're estimated $10-14... It is not so much the cost as the fact that we can go when we want. Hotel shuttle has a 'gap' in timing we'd prefer not to hit.

Wondering if anyone has used them elsewhere, to get from the ship to an airport. Cab isn't expensive, but sometimes the wait for a cab can be bad.

I didn't think they were available here yet?

I just checked and they aren't on the website for Fort Lauderdale yet.

I tried a couple of weeks ago to use them and FLL was a no go.

http://blog.uber.com/SouthFlorida

I can see cars on the uber app, near my hotel. Will know for sure on Saturday.

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/news/2014/08/07/uberx-launches-in-fort-lauderdale-west-palm-beach.html

I have the app and Fort Lauderdale is not listed. Like I said, I tried a week ago to use them and could not.

I have the app and Fort Lauderdale is not listed. Like I said, I tried a week ago to use them and could not.

Not sure - we must different apps.

Here is a screenshot of cars near our hotel...

51615ae05d92af165fd0905d210497d8.jpg

And here is a 'quote' from hotel to port...

c74b9e4eae8b1ce93368f45927568786.jpg

UGH! Driver was new, couldn't find button to open trunk. Was 10 minutes later than estimate.

Got to port and security ask for his 'hack' license and he didn't have one. She called over sheriff who told him uber was 'illegal' in broward county, told him he needed a broward county drivers license address, and told him he could fine him $500. He acknowledged that we tourists probably signed up in good faith and let us through. Driver had never been to port and we had to direct him to ship. Have no idea what the charge was as I had a $30 signup credit. Will take it up with uber when we get off ship!

There are several different types of Uber. Uber (black) are licensed chauffeurs of luxury sedans and SUV's.

Fire...you are referring to UberX, where ordinary folks drive their personal vehicles. Ride sharing, like paying your friend for gas when they take you to the airport.

Anyways, as Uber is not a taxi, but a prearranged service, I don't see how/why those drivers would need a "hack" license.

So, is Uber (black) in Ft. Lauderdale yet?

I used Uber Black extensively in Washington, DC recently. Looking forward to an update on this. Won't be using them for the airport or port but definitely for bar hopping in Ft. Lauderdale.

• 2 months later...
UGH! Driver was new, couldn't find button to open trunk. Was 10 minutes later than estimate.

Got to port and security ask for his 'hack' license and he didn't have one. She called over sheriff who told him uber was 'illegal' in broward county, told him he needed a broward county drivers license address, and told him he could fine him $500. He acknowledged that we tourists probably signed up in good faith and let us through. Driver had never been to port and we had to direct him to ship. Have no idea what the charge was as I had a $30 signup credit. Will take it up with uber when we get off ship!

So what happened?