First Time Cruise Ideas

WanttoCruise2015

Hiya,

I have been debating and debating about cruising for a few years. I am now at the point that I really really want to try for next year. Between May 2015-August 2015. We are a family of 3 (2 adults and son who will be 13 in May). I seem to bounce from looking at Carnival, NCL and RCCL. Not sure how teen friendly Princess is especially with pool/waterslides.

We are from British Columbia Canada and would hope to cruise for approx 5-7days unless suggest shorter with attractions near port of pre/post cruise.

My son really loves playing around in pools or waterslides. He is not that active and unsure if he would take advantage of teen/tween club. He enjoys minigolf and movies. I would hope to find more activities he may like.

Definitely want good food and staff as want best impression for future cruises although we are not picky when it comes to food.

Also suggestion on room type and location for the first time would be appreciated. Would like to be able to maneuver around the room and son does not like pitch black. Not sure if inside would be ideal for us. If we did do inside would they allow a 13yr old to room by himself if the suite is right next to or across from us? I don't think we would be in the room much but you never know. I don't know if anyone would be seasick/or motion sick sensitive but do know my husband is a light sleeper although I like a little white noise (like a fan in our room at home).

Thanks everyone:)

Would be helpful to know where you wanted to cruise.

Sorry. Pretty open but thinking either Baja Mexico, Pacific Coastal or Caribbean. Thought Baja and Pacific as it is West Coast so closer to home equals cheaper flights than going to East Coast. But East Coast cruises tend to be cheap so may offset flight prices. I think more to explore in Caribbean though.

Carnival's cabins (standard) are the largest, so far...you will want at least ab OV cabin, if not a balcony. Some of Carnival's ships have the big waterslides.. RCI has none.

I'm thinking Carnival is what will work for your family!

have two suggestions for first time cruise...

1. Alaska. You can board in Vancouver and do a round trip. Has the benefit of no flying cost to the port. Alaska out of Vancouver was our first cruise. choice mostly due to my getting sea sick really easy..like on the ferry to Vancouver Island. Alaska inside passage cruises are only really in open seas for a few hours..as mostly covered by islands. Being so close you can take advantage of last minute sales. If a ship is not full you can often get a deal. Also check out the cruise magazines for cruise deals.

2. Coastal. Have done this too. Repositioning ship for Alaska in spring and Mexico in winter. normally 7 days with stops in San Francisco, Vancouver Island and place where goonies was filmed the name of which I can never remember. limited sailing but really cheap. may be a way of trying cruising as price so low even if you hate cruising it will be worth the try. have to fly one way from vancouver to or from la though.

for junior..the bigger the ship the more options.

Royal Caribbean's Allure and Oasis have inside cabins with balconies overlooking Central Park. They have everything and more than your son could want. Get a brochure and check it out. Or try to find something on the internet to show what those ships have that no others have.

I would pick one of the newer Royal Caribbean ships going to the Caribbean. There is Oasis, Allure, Independence, Freedom all with lots for you & your son to do. They do not have waterslides but do have so much more to offer and their ships are beautiful. I am personally not a fan of Carnival.

I am also not a fan of interior cabins. It is like being in a closet. So look for something with at least a window.....balcony if you can swing it. With 3 of you the outdoor space will be welcome.

Caribbean most exciting and beautiful. Also best buys. Be aware many ships leave Carib. for Alaska and Europe in April. Do Eastern Caribbean.Western is Mexico, which has become dangerous. You will find you spend little time in cabin so no need to splurge in my opinion.You will be in port most days.Fly SW Seattle down to FLL nonstop .Enjoy.

I would steer clear of Carnival unless you are truly concerned about seasickness and they are the least expensive for you. It was good for our first cruise to be sure that we liked "cruising", but after that, we would NOT go back to them. We have been on Carnival, Disney, RCCL and Princess with our son who is now 20, but started cruising at 4. His favorite is Princess (Disney is TOTALLY overpriced for what you get and you barely even know it's Disney, but that's another story/review). We were only on 1 RCCL with him and were not impressed. With a hungry teenager, having an "open dining" time choice is pretty much a must rather than set dining times. Not sure what dining options there are for RCCL etc., but worth looking into. As for seasickness - use Bonine - I don't know if you can get it in Canada, but is is SOOOO much better than Dramamine. I used Dramamine for years and was always drugged and very dry/choking with it. (I would just look at a boat in dock and start to get sick - lol) I take 1 Bonine every morning and I'm good to go - hubby and son would not take it, but as soon as it might start to get rough, they were asking me if I had extra. It's better to take it before you feel funny because it has to get into your system, and it's not fun playing "catch up" with it. As far as destination - pricing/convenience in getting there should play a big part in it for you. A big reason for this - the SHIP is the destination. Yes, the ports are nice, but the time spent on the ship IS the reason you pick a cruise. Don't pick an itinerary going somewhere you really DON'T want to go to, but be open based on pricing etc. And cabin - especially with a son - balcony all the way. We actually do spend time in the cabin and we all spend quite a bit of time on the balcony. It's fun to watch the ship dock/depart, watch the waves, watch for sealife, have room service out there, doors open for "white noise", watching other ships passing in the night, Private time for mom and dad etc.... Whatever you choose, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Some folks here are giving the impression that Carnival is a poor cruise line.

This simply not right.

We have been on Carnival, RCCL, Princess and NCL, to the Bahamas, all over the Caribbean, Canada/New England and Mediterranian.

We have had fun on all of our cruises. It's all on what you make of it.

Depending on time of year, where you want to go, what you want to spend and what is available.

Since this is a first cruise, seek a TA specializing in cruises, and let them lay out your options.

You will have a great time, whichever cruise you choose.

Obviously, from the responses you've already received, everyone has their favorites. I would like to add in our current favorite. The Carnival Liberty. Both the Eastern and Western Caribbean 7 day itineraries are great. The staff is very good. We're not foodies, so I have no complaints about the food, except for the Fish & Chips station. Some people like it. I thought the fish was too greasy. There is a large movie screen on the Lido deck by the pool. On nights when there isn't some type of activity (such as a poolside party), movies are shown, with free popcorn. Although the Liberty doesn't have the Waterworks like the Breeze, there is a large slide, and it's a lot of fun. You may want to check out the Breeze, since it does have the Waterworks. As far as cabin recommendations, we've tried an inside cabin once, and hated it. Too claustrophobic, and no natural light. We prefer a balcony or an ocean view. In any case, the first thing you might want to do is talk to a knowledgeable cruise agent in your area. She/he can answer your questions and help you choose the cruise that most appeals to you. Also, if you go to YouTube, you'll find videos posted of just about every cruise ship, along with various ports of call. Fair warning! Cruising can be very addictive!;)

Edited by beachbum53

• 2 weeks later...
Hiya,

I have been debating and debating about cruising for a few years. I am now at the point that I really really want to try for next year. Between May 2015-August 2015. We are a family of 3 (2 adults and son who will be 13 in May). I seem to bounce from looking at Carnival, NCL and RCCL. Not sure how teen friendly Princess is especially with pool/waterslides.

We are from British Columbia Canada and would hope to cruise for approx 5-7days unless suggest shorter with attractions near port of pre/post cruise.

My son really loves playing around in pools or waterslides. He is not that active and unsure if he would take advantage of teen/tween club. He enjoys minigolf and movies. I would hope to find more activities he may like.

Definitely want good food and staff as want best impression for future cruises although we are not picky when it comes to food.

Also suggestion on room type and location for the first time would be appreciated. Would like to be able to maneuver around the room and son does not like pitch black. Not sure if inside would be ideal for us. If we did do inside would they allow a 13yr old to room by himself if the suite is right next to or across from us? I don't think we would be in the room much but you never know. I don't know if anyone would be seasick/or motion sick sensitive but do know my husband is a light sleeper although I like a little white noise (like a fan in our room at home).

Thanks everyone:)

The ships will keep you on the go in state-of-the-art gyms equipped with machines that'll keep your heart rate pumping.

• gym and fitness area

• Swim-against-the-current lap pool

• Nine-hole putting course (Princess Links)

I have never had a problem with the cabins. Although you may get some movement.

• 2 weeks later...

For our first cruise, we chose a four-day. We weren't sure if we'd be seasick, etc. -- but we weren't, and we loved it. Four days wasn't enough, but because we went with a "this is an experiment" attitude, it was fine. Having said that, we are close enough that we didn't have to fly -- that is a huge added cost for you, so you may not agree with our assessment.

You won't find a great deal of difference between the moderately priced lines, though I do agree with those who are pushing you away from Carnival.

You say your son isn't "active" -- meaning that he's not a sports-oriented kid? Each evening you'll find a "newsletter" on your bed when you return from dinner, and it'll tell what the teen club is doing the next day. Some of the activities will be active (i.e., basketball, rock climbing) and others will be more sedentary (i.e., music, video game tournament). He will be able to study that page and say, "I'm going to attend this event at 10:00, but I'll meet you guys for lunch later because I don't want to take part in that other event. And later I'm going to go to the teen evening event." Be sure he attends the first-night's get-together; that's when the kids are all meeting friends.

I would not put a barely-13-year old in his own cabin. First, it's terribly expensive because you'd essentially have to pay double for him. Second, it opens him up to temptations to allow buddies to come into his room -- and some kids will be looking for places to hang out adult-free; don't put him in the situation of having to say no to older kids. Sharing a room between three isn't a big deal.

Carnival's cabins (standard) are the largest, so far...you will want at least ab OV cabin, if not a balcony. Some of Carnival's ships have the big waterslides.. RCI has none.

I'm thinking Carnival is what will work for your family!

Apparently you've never been on RCI Radiance class ships or know of Adventure Beach on that ship class.

3c_waterslide_2.jpg.e591a74258a7c38052003564a0d8fbdb.jpg

Edited by leaveitallbehind

If the Caribbean interests you, consider the Norwegian Getaway. It is a brand new ship, and huge (so very little motion). Lots of options for all ages. There is a teen club, slides, climbing wall, etc. - but also movies, a game room, arcade, pool table, etc. There is room for quiet time if your son is more "bookish" and the entertainment is 100% family friendly (even the comedians).

Freestyle cruising means he could have the freedom to choose when and where he wanted to eat if you are apart on board - and the NCL app lets you stay in touch electronically if you carry your cell phones.

We are just back from our first cruise on the Getaway and still on cloud 9. The entire week, I imagined how great it would be with family along. Plenty of options for all ages, and the perfect amount of freedom (with supervision) for kids.

Not to jump on the RCI bandwagon, but we always recommend this company for first time cruisers.

I actually just put my brother on Freedom of the Seas yesterday for his first adult cruise. His first day out he sent me a message saying he was having a great time, and he is not a cruise person at all.

We have sailed on NCL and Carnival too, and keep coming back to RCI.

If you are looking at bigger ships, like Oasis or Freedom class, you could consider NCL Getaway or Breakaway, as someone else on this board already noted. We have not personally sailed on this class of ship, but have cruise buddies who have and they loved it.

We value their opinion so we are planning to do a Getaway cruise soon out of Miami. Once, we get through the new Quantum class coming out by RCI.

We recently blogged about four nshort Caribbean cruises on some of the lines' newer ships. Among the options are RCI Liberty of the Seas, a Freedom class ship, as well as the Carnival Liberty, another ship that was suggested here on the board. So you can check out these ships without spending an entire 7 days at sea.

Good luck with planning. Let us know what you finally choose once you make your reservations!