What Worked; What I'd Take Next Time

TheDivineMrsM

The only 'nececessity' we forgot on our (first) cruise was my son's toothbrush. We purchased one at the ship's store for $2.99.

Overall, I didn't feel we overpacked. I never used the over the door shoe organizer that was suggested that I took along. Plennnty of bathroom storage and I take lots of hair care stuff and son has all kinds of aftershave and what not.

Never used duct tape that was suggested. Didn't use the small inflatable tube in the pool, because both pools were saltwater and floating was easily done.

I hated the ship's hair dryer, you had to keep your hand on the button the whole time for it to work and it's wasn't powerful. I don't have that much hair but it took forever to dry; will take my own dryer next time.

One thing that wasn't a necessity but I would take next time is a stain remover for any clothes that get a splatter of food. If that happens early in the cruise, it's nice to rinse and pre-treat so it has time to work on the stain until you wash it after the trip.

Btw, did I read that someone uses "Resolve Carpet Cleaner" in a spray bottle to pre-treat fabric stains? I am always looking for a good stain remover; the ones I've tried have mixed results.

Edited by TheDivineMrsM

The only 'nececessity' we forgot on our (first) cruise was my son's toothbrush. We purchased one at the ship's store for $2.99.

Overall, I didn't feel we overpacked. I never used the over the door shoe organizer that was suggested that I took along. Plennnty of bathroom storage and I take lots of hair care stuff and son has all kinds of aftershave and what not.

Never used duct tape that was suggested. Didn't use the small inflatable tube in the pool, because both pools were saltwater and floating was easily done.

I hated the ship's hair dryer, you had to keep your hand on the button the whole time for it to work and it's wasn't powerful. I don't have that much hair but it took forever to dry; will take my own dryer next time.

One thing that wasn't a necessity but I would take next time is a stain remover for any clothes that get a splatter of food. If that happens early in the cruise, it's nice to rinse and pre-treat so it has time to work on the stain until you wash it after the trip.

Btw, did I read that someone uses "Resolve Carpet Cleaner" in a spray bottle to pre-treat fabric stains? I am always looking for a good stain remover; the ones I've tried have mixed results.

Something I have always used to pretreat stains is Dawn dishwashing detergent or shampoo dabbed on the stain and then gently rub the liquid into the stained area.

Both are designed to remove grease/oil. The stains have never set. A quick fix is also baby powder. Place the powder on the stain and then wait until you see the stain "lift." You can then use a pretreat solution.

I will try the Tide stain stuff next. Others I know say it works.

I've tried Dawn dish detergent but seems ineffective for the most part. Makes me wonder what kind of dye they use in tomato/spaghetti sauce because that dull red/orange doesn't want to lift out.

I'll give the baby powder a try, too. Never heard of that.

I take a Tide stain remover stick, and am also willing to spend money sending things out to be cleaned. In fact, this time we are packing less and I plan to spend about $50 getting jeans, dress pants, etc cleaned.

We never pack the extra stuff people suggest, but to each her own. I do carry a couple of sink sized packets of liquid Tide, and different OTC meds. Twice we have caught bad colds at the beginning of long cruises and the Dristan they sell in the ship's shop does not cut it!

The worst thing I have forgotten was hair volumiser. $21 in the salon. Ugh.

I took duct tape on several trips but stopped bringing it because I never used it. On a recent trip in May our new suitcase came out on the luggage carousel and we were stunned to see the bottom ripped of our suitcase and our clothes hanging out. Luckily enough we found someone who had duct tape and fixed up our bag enough to use it for the remainder of the trip. I have viewed people using it as a quick hem fix and a shoe repair in the past. Now I will never leave home without it again. BTW Delta reimbursed us quickly for our bag sent us a $100 check for a bag that was out of a set costing $150 for 3 bags, now that customers service.

Shout wipes work well for spills on clothing. The baby powder is a definite take along. It really does get grease and oil out. One of those travel sizes is all you need and it will last a long time.

I always take some Shout wipes with me and have found they remove stains.

I carry one in my pocket so I can rub the stain instantly, even at the table.

I hadn't heard of baby powder for grease stains. Will have to try it.

Makes me wonder what kind of dye they use in tomato/spaghetti sauce because that dull red/orange doesn't want to lift out.

It's called tomatoes . . . I make my own tomato/spaghetti sauce and after a few times have learned to use either a dark coloured tablecloth, or a plastic one. I've ruined too many white/ivory tablecloths with sauce drips, spoon drops, etc.

We always bring along the Tide pen - DH has a habit of leaving "meal tracks" on his shirts. LOL

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We always take take downy wrinkle release and the tide sticks as the wife wants to ensure we look good for dinner and pictures.

We have done the shoe organizer for the door, but found that it was not necessary for just the two of us-if you are traveling with more folks in a room I can see why it would be needed.

We use to bring a steamer and stopped, as it was not effective and actually got stains on the clothes.

Packing a laundry bag helps separate clean clothes from dirty. We also have a collapse second carry one with us in case we pickup some extra stuff!

I never thought to take any of these things. What is the duct tape for?

For avoiding food stains, I put a napkin on my lap.

We had free pressing when we had a suite, but otherwise hanging up my formal dress in the steam of the shower is enough to freshen it up. I don't really care about my other clothes. The sea air sorts them out.

One thing that I forgot to take, having bought them specially, was beach towel clips. First world problem.

Don't bother with binoculars or an umbrella- you never have it when you need it. Binder clips are handy. Take a hi-liter to outline the things on the daily that you really want to go to.

Eye drops after swimming. Rolaids= you may be eating later and drinking more!

Bring several ziplock storage bags. Handy for all wet clothes, dirty clothes, papers, etc. Bring sandals or water shoes that you don't mind getting wet.

Don't bring 5 purses, shoes you will wear with one outfit. Bring at least two chargers for electronics.

Put ID info on a sheet inside your suitcase.

Most important, bring a good attitude!!

I never thought to take any of these things. What is the duct tape for?
It's for holding stuff together that has come apart.
For avoiding food stains, I put a napkin on my lap.
That works for your lap... Edited by Underwatr

Wrinkle spray to save on pressing costs

I usually will hang mine in bathroom and allow the steam to pull the wrinkles out and it also freshens up the outfit

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The countdown is on NAND I am panicking big time, exacerbated by my brain haemorrhage

I really do not know how much clothing to. Take for our 14 night cruise

Any hints gratefully received

Hx

The countdown is on NAND I am panicking big time, exacerbated by my brain haemorrhage

I really do not know how much clothing to. Take for our 14 night cruise

Any hints gratefully received

Hx

Oh my word, as if getting ready for a cruise wasn't enough, a brain haemorrhage? I hope you're alright !!

As for packing, take only enough clothes for 5 to 7 days and have the ship's laundry service take care of cleaning for you. I don't know where you're travelling to, but pack lightly, dress in layers, and don't take anything that can't be worn with at least 2 other pieces. If you're going somewhere warm, chances are good you'll spend most days in a swimsuit and cover-up or shorts/capris and t-shirts. You will find you take way more clothing than you really need, and by packing less, nobody cares (or even notices) if you wear the same thing a few times.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

For stains, especially wine, blood or sauces, try hydrogen peroxide. Also good for brushing teeth! I always take a small bottle of baby powder to the beaches. It helps to get the sand off and I highly recommend it if you have to redress small children when leaving the beach. We bring ziploc bags to pack ice for collapsible cooler and to keep our shells and sea glass in. Then we can mark the location of each!:)