Cruise Port Taxi and Hotel - Ft. Lauderdale

BOAZ5

I will be travelling with a group of 10 and have been given the task of finding a pre-cruise hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. I have taken budget into consideration and have narrowed it down to Farfield Inn, Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn express, not necessarily in that order. All three seem to get decent reviews. I have never been to Ft. Lauderdale, so this has been a learning experience. It seems that most hotels in the area offer one way shuttle to the port.

I am relying on you wonderful Cruise Critic members to offer feedback on the above mentioned hotels and also information on taking a taxi back to the hotel vs. paying the return shuttle fee of $8-$10pp.

1.Will we have trouble getting a taxi at the pier?

2.What type of taxis are available to accommodate our party of 10?

3. If these hotels were your only choices, which one would you choose?

Thank you so much for you feedback.

You will not have trouble getting a taxi at the terminal, but you may have to take several depending on what size cars are available at that time.

It would help if you listed the addresses of the HIE and HI as there are several locations. Most hotels are no longer offering free port shuttles, so if you are booking based on that, make sure that you verify that with the hotel.

I am also in charge of finding a Ft Lauderdale hotel and transportation for 10 people. We will need a place to eat dinner and will not have a car so I have eliminated the hotels you mention as they do not have a restaurant. We will have small children with us so cannot walk too far. I am looking at the Embassy Suites, Crowne Plaza at the airport, and Hilton Garden Inn.

For transportation I am considering Jiffy Jeff shuttle that can take all of us instead of having to divide up into separate taxis.

Good luck.

We have stayed 4 times at the Hampton Inn Airport/North Cruiseport. It is clean and comfortable and the staff has always been helpful and friendly. They have free shuttle from the airport to hotel, and free shuttle to the port. They are located right across the street from a large shopping plaza. In the plaza: Winn Dixie grocery store, dollar store, a couple of clothing stores, liquor store, a Thai restaurant, a Subway, pizza place, a burger place - Wendy's or Burger King, not sure which one, Radio Shack etc etc. Just across the street the other way is a McDonalds. And a short walk to the end of the plaza and across the road is a very good German restaurant called Old Heidelberg. We had dinner there with a few other couples from our last cruise who were also staying at the Hampton and we all enjoyed it.

We are booked to stay here again in December prior to our next cruise. It has always been a good experience for us and gives us what we need for a one night stay before our cruise.

We have stayed 4 times at the Hampton Inn Airport/North Cruiseport. It is clean and comfortable and the staff has always been helpful and friendly. They have free shuttle from the airport to hotel, and free shuttle to the port. They are located right across the street from a large shopping plaza. In the plaza: Winn Dixie grocery store, dollar store, a couple of clothing stores, liquor store, a Thai restaurant, a Subway, pizza place, a burger place - Wendy's or Burger King, not sure which one, Radio Shack etc etc. Just across the street the other way is a McDonalds. And a short walk to the end of the plaza and across the road is a very good German restaurant called Old Heidelberg. We had dinner there with a few other couples from our last cruise who were also staying at the Hampton and we all enjoyed it.

We are booked to stay here again in December prior to our next cruise. It has always been a good experience for us and gives us what we need for a one night stay before our cruise.

I just looked up rates at this hotel and it is $239 per room for the night we will be staying. Seems high but about what the other hotels are running. Thanks for the info.

I just looked up rates at this hotel and it is $239 per room for the night we will be staying. Seems high but about what the other hotels are running. Thanks for the info.

I don't think they have any room that high. We just booked, two queens, non smoking with breakfast for $130

Yes, $239, that was the price of a room. We are going during spring break on April 5th. I suspect you are not.

Yes the room rate fluctuates quite a bit. We are paying $139.00 this December. Looking ahead to the date we need in March they want $263.00! Almost double. It must be the time of year. I haven't booked yet for March - keep watching it hoping it will come down.

You can also check the Best Western Plus Ft Lauderdale airport/cruiseport, they are located across the street from the Hampton behind McDonald's. We are staying there in March precruise. They offer a free shuttle from the airport, cannot tell you about to the port as we are going to POM and have set up shuttle service with QLS and free breakfast with free WiFi.

Good luck.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

You can also check the Best Western Plus Ft Lauderdale airport/cruiseport, they are located across the street from the Hampton behind McDonald's. We are staying there in March precruise. They offer a free shuttle from the airport, cannot tell you about to the port as we are going to POM and have set up shuttle service with QLS and free breakfast with free WiFi.

Good luck.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the info. BTW I'm from Buffalo....just living in Ga right now.

Yes the room rate fluctuates quite a bit. We are paying $139.00 this December. Looking ahead to the date we need in March they want $263.00! Almost double. It must be the time of year. I haven't booked yet for March - keep watching it hoping it will come down.

March is spring break - the very height of the season. Book something that you can live with now and cancel if prices come down. Keep watching but if prices don't come down at least you'll have a room.

March is spring break - the very height of the season. Book something that you can live with now and cancel if prices come down. Keep watching but if prices don't come down at least you'll have a room.

Good idea. I will probably do this and hope for the drop in price.

I am also in charge of finding a Ft Lauderdale hotel and transportation for 10 people. We will need a place to eat dinner and will not have a car so I have eliminated the hotels you mention as they do not have a restaurant. We will have small children with us so cannot walk too far. I am looking at the Embassy Suites, Crowne Plaza at the airport, and Hilton Garden Inn.

For transportation I am considering Jiffy Jeff shuttle that can take all of us instead of having to divide up into separate taxis.

Good luck.

How do you know you eliminated the above mentioned hotels when you don't know which Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express the OP is talking about?

How do you know you eliminated the above mentioned hotels when you don't know which Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express the OP is talking about?

I don't believe there are any Hampton Inns or Holiday Inns at the Ft Lauderdale airport that have an onsite restaurant. I have already looked at them. If I am wrong please correct me.

I don't believe there are any Hampton Inns or Holiday Inns at the Ft Lauderdale airport that have an onsite restaurant. I have already looked at them. If I am wrong please correct me.

I don't know of any Hampton Inn anywhere in the US that has an onsite restaurant. That's not the kind of hotel they are.

I thought it was curious since one of the hotels you listed, Embassy Suites, does not have a restaurant and the Hilton Garden Inn (located right across the street from the Hampton Inn - FLL South) only has a "grill" with a breakfast buffet for $12.95 per person and a simple ala carte menu in the evening, so I don't consider it much of a restaurant.

I thought it was curious since one of the hotels you listed, Embassy Suites, does not have a restaurant.

Every Embassy Suites I've stayed in has had a restaurant and I thought I remembered one in the Fort Lauderdale Embassy Suites so I looked it up:

Our own E Spot Restaurant and E Spot Bar & Lounge are located just off the hotel lobby on your way to our fabulous pool deck and offer comfortable food at comfortable prices.

Every Embassy Suites I've stayed in has had a restaurant and I thought I remembered one in the Fort Lauderdale Embassy Suites so I looked it up:

Our own E Spot Restaurant and E Spot Bar & Lounge are located just off the hotel lobby on your way to our fabulous pool deck and offer comfortable food at comfortable prices.

The "restaurant" in the Embassy Suites is not what I would call a restaurant nor do I consider $8.50 for a bowl of soup or $16.25 for a cheeseburger "comfortable prices." She has a large group with small children so good luck feeding them with their limited menu and over the top prices.

The "restaurant" in the Embassy Suites is not what I would call a restaurant nor do I consider $8.50 for a bowl of soup or $16.25 for a cheeseburger "comfortable prices." She has a large group with small children so good luck feeding them with their limited menu and over the top prices.

Ok, I'm open to suggestions. What hotel do you think is a good place for us?

What are your configurations? You know, who will room with who?

What is the relationships among the group?

How many kids and what are their ages?

Well we are all family. I have one son and his family which consists of my DIL and 4 children ages 16, 13, 9 and 4. Then there is another son and 1 child age 6. Then another son by himself and then me. We are flying so will not have a car. We plan to get 3 rooms and I will have a couple of my grandchildren in the room with me.

Well we are all family. I have one son and his family which consists of my DIL and 4 children ages 16, 13, 9 and 4. Then there is another son and 1 child age 6. Then another son by himself and then me. We are flying so will not have a car. We plan to get 3 rooms and I will have a couple of my grandchildren in the room with me.

Well, that's quite a crew.

You'll save a bundle by staying at a hotel that offers both a complimentary breakfast and airport shuttle. While the Embassy Suites has a good breakfast, they don't offer an airport shuttle, so my first thoughts would be Hampton Inn-FLL South or Hyatt House which are both adjacent to or across Stirling Road from the Hilton Garden Inn.

I think the Hyatt House would be more enjoyable for you, though, if you can get a decent price on a couple 2BR/2BA Trio suites or one Trio and one Executive Double/Double Studio. All of their studios and suites have full kitchens in them so the refrigerators, extra space and tables would be nice for the blended families and especially kids. They have a nice pool and Burger King, Chipotle, McDonald's and Taco Bell are all very close to the hotel. There's a K-Mart across Stirling Road where you can get chips, water, sodas, wine, etc.

Here's my thoughts on configuration if two Trios are available and affordable...

Trio King BR: Son and DIL

Trio Double/Double: Two Sons

Sofa Sleeper: 1 or 2 kids

Trio King BR: Mom

Trio Double/Double: 3 or 4 kids

Sofa Sleeper: Whoever

If you go with an Executive Double/Double you could configure 1 adult in one bed, two kids in the other bed and maybe another kid or two on the sofa sleeper.

You certainly know your family better than I do, but maybe that will give you something to ruminate on.

Archived