TABC to begin collecting tax in Jan 2014 (MERGED THREADS)

SRV FAN

Just heard this this AM on the news..... The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC) will begin collecting personal importation taxes on alcohol and cigarettes from passengers returning from cruises in Galveston in 2014. Royal Caribbean operates Navigator of the Seas currently out of Galveston.

Beginning on January 4, 2014, cruise travelers disembarking out of Galveston will need to pay the tax for alcoholic beverages and cigarettes imported into the state that were purchased either on the ship's duty free store or at a foreign port of call.

During the recent legislative session, the agency was appropriated funding to begin tax collection of imported alcoholic beverages and cigarettes from seaport facilities. The Galveston Port facility will be the first seaport location where this tax will be collected with plans to extend to the Houston-Bayport facility in the fall of 2014.

Tax collection points staffed with TABC personnel will be situated at both terminals 1 and 2 at the Galveston facility located where patrons come through the U.S. Customs secondary checkpoint. Passengers will be able to pay the taxes with either cash or credit cards.

TABC personnel have worked with Port of Galveston officials to ensure that the tax collection is done efficiently and with limited disruption of port operations and delays to the passengers.

They're pretty good at dealing with this, about 1 or 2 minutes per transaction. You must have the cigarettes and booze readily available and they want it opened if in a container so they can affix a label. If you don't want to pay you can forfeit the products. Typically about $2-4 per bottle depending on size. They used to exempt you if you were from out of state. They quit that a few years ago and now tax everyone.

If there are large numbers of folks with alcohol, I'm sure it will slow it down some. We deal with them almost every week here at the border and it goes fast if you know the system.

Because you have to pay $2 for a bottle of booze???:eek:

Hey everyone has their priorities.

I think this is BS for TX to do this after all these years but whatever:rolleyes:

Hey everyone has their priorities.

I think this is BS for TX to do this after all these years but whatever:rolleyes:

I don't know. Texas has been collecting it for years at border crossings. With two ports and several ships it has to pay off for them to staff and collect. We figure it is the cost of doing business and give them the couple of bucks with a smile. Still saves a ton of money for us.

I don't know. Texas has been collecting it for years at border crossings. With two ports and several ships it has to pay off for them to staff and collect. We figure it is the cost of doing business and give them the couple of bucks with a smile. Still saves a ton of money for us.

IDK it has ben a while since I did crossing into Mexico but in CA I don't remember paying taxes on booze.

And with cruises I don't know of any other cruise port that does that.

Galveston is already a PITA for non locals to cruise out of its just another negative to me

IDK it has ben a while since I did crossing into Mexico but in CA I don't remember paying taxes on booze.

And with cruises I don't know of any other cruise port that does that.

Galveston is already a PITA for non locals to cruise out of its just another negative to me

This is the state of Texas collecting the tax. The other state probably don't have the same rules.

• 3 weeks later...

That almost embarrasses me, I live in Texas. When we smoked and would port in St. Thomas we'd buy 5 cartons; seems like last time it was $120. So add $75 to that and now we're at almost $40/carton. They are cheaper in Missouri. Unbelievable.

Edited by Shekim

I don't smoke anymore and don't drink much either but the fact that my 3 cheap bottles of Kaluah would've been almost $4 per bottle more for tax is appalling!! We came into Bayport so it was non issue but I do have friends going out of G'town next month. They won't be contributing to our Tx sales tax fund.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

New this year:

If you buy alcohol or cigarettes at duty free or at a foreign port of call, the TABC will collect Texas state tax for alcohol plus a $3 administrative fee.

They began collecting this in Galveston a few weeks ago, and it will begin at Bayport this fall.

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/2014/01/on-the-horizon-for-houston-area.html?page=2

This is only for Texas residents. We've had to pay this for years if you visit Mexico (drive/walk across the border). They've just added it to cruises. I think another post discussed this and it's still cheaper than buying it locally

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I stumbled on this when checking the Port of Galveston parking information

TABC to Begin Collecting Taxes at Texas Seaports

On January 4, 2014, cruise travelers disembarking out of the Port of Galveston will need to pay the tax for alcoholic beverages and cigarettes imported into the state that were purchased either on the ship's duty free store or at a foreign port of call. TABC currently operates 20 ports of entry collection facilities along the Texas-Mexico border where the tax is presently collected.

During the recent legislative session, the agency was appropriated funding to begin tax collection of imported alcoholic beverages and cigarettes from seaport facilities. The Galveston Port facility will be the first seaport location where this tax will be collected with plans to extend to the Houston-Bayport facility in the fall of 2014.

Section 107.07 of the Alcoholic Beverage Code, in effect for over 40 years, requires that each adult (21 years old and over) importing alcoholic beverages into the state for personal consumption pay the state tax and an administrative fee of $3.00. The law limits personal importation by an adult to once every 30 days with limits of: 1 gallon of distilled spirits, 3 gallons of wine, and 288 ounces of malt beverages (24 12-ounce containers). Persons importing alcoholic beverages must personally accompany the product as it enters the state. View our detailed list of the taxes for both cigarettes and alcoholic beverages

Tax Rates Table

Tax Rates Effective September 1, 2011

(including $ 3.00 administrative fees)

Distilled Spirits

Miniatures (2 oz. or less) (50 ml or less) $ 3.25

Half Pint (200 ml) 3.25

Pint (500 ml) 3.50

Fifth (750 ml) 3.50

Quart (1 ltr) 3.75

1/2 Gallon (1.75 ltr) 4.25

1 Gallon (3.5 ltr) 5.50

Beer