Another rude dining room question

Host Jacquelyn

I would have also asked for a dessert when the couples got a menu for their second dinner and excused myself early.

Actually, under those circumstances, after the first dinner I probably would have asked the maitre d' to assign me to another table.

Ditto

Reading the last few posts brings up another related issue (at least in my mind). DW and I have been cruising for quite a few decades and have watched the cruise industry (and passengers) change a lot over the years. Reading Keith's post (we know he has done more then his share of cruising) brought back memories of some lousy (for lack of a better word) tablemates over the years. But DW and I love to socialize on cruises (we eat at home at a table for 2 most of the year) and dining is something we really enjoy. So we always prefer to share a larger table as a way of meeting new folks, maybe making some friends, hearing stories, etc. But sometimes you do get a lousy table...so we have sworn off fixed seatings with a regularly assigned table. These days we always book Open Sitting options and then ask to share large tables (except on Celebrity where we prefer Aqua Class and Blu). Sometimes we get great tables and sometimes we get not so great tables. But after a few days we find ourselves often forming our own tables with folks we have met and enjoyed over the first few days. And even if we do not form a table...we do not repeat bad tables. If we meet folks whose company we do not enjoy, we simply will avoid them for the rest of the cruise. Open dining gives us enough flexibility and although it does have a few negatives, we find it is an overwhelming positive experience. And one can tailor open sitting schemes to their own goals. For example, if we find a waiter (and table location) we really enjoy we will try to get back to that waiter and table as often as possible. If we meet folks whose company we enjoy...we arrange to meet them for dinner. And if we fall into a fantastic table (this happens on more then half our cruises) we might eventually make a standing reservation with this entire group.

Hank

Fortunately, we have never encountered this type of behavior, but if we did, I would ask to be moved to another table. We have discovered, for various reasons, that we prefer a table for two, not too close to others when possible.

Edited by JimAOk1945

DH has much more TC (tongue control) than I do. When the couples began ordering their second round, I would have requested the dessert menu and for our coffee to be served at the same time. If it continued to be an issue, I would have asked for a table change, and would certainly not have considered having our meals in the Lido from that point forward.

If either of the couples approached us after, wondering why we were no longer at their table, honesty would prevail and I would tell them "we like to have our dinner in a timely fashion and don't wish to wait until everyone finished their repeat orders so we can continue with our evening."

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

On a 16 night TA cruise my mom and I were seated with two other couples. The first night one of the ladies gave a standing order to the waiter that the coffee was not to be served until dessert was completely finished. Now my mom would normally be expecting a cup of coffee as soon as the main course dishes were cleared, no later than when the dessert menus were brought to us. Complicating the matter was that the cruise started under Code Red meaning that the coffee pots, creamer and sugar could not even be stored at the wait station next to our table; our waiter would have had to make a separate trip to the kitchen each time someone wanted a cup.

I don't if my mom or another person at the table said something, but when the Code Red was finally lifted on day 7 our waiters seemed to be able to read our minds and served not just the coffee but any other of our preferred accompaniments exactly when we expected them as if he could read our minds. That is how it should have been solved, with the waiter sensing a passenger's discomfort and offering a remedy before being asked. No I don't expect every waiter to be perfect or a mind reader, so if he remained oblivious to the fact that all six at the table did not equally participate in such gluttony a conversation with the head waiter should have occurred. Either way simple issues like this should be solvable without necessarily changing tables (and in my example I'm very glad we didn't) but requesting said change may be easier as it requires no explanation.

See my Mom likes her coffee WITH her meal. She is not a wine drinker and doesn't care for soda/iced tea /etc.

She would have told this woman , her and her standing order could do what they want. Then she would have nicely asked the waiter to bring her coffee with her entrée.

Edited by babyher

I always wonder why you would ever treat the person who is serving your food badly!! They have access to all of your food and I prefer mine with out their fingers in it!!! Besides, if you are not rude then they don't have to either!! This is why we sit at a table for two... If the people seated next to us are friendly then we have made new friends and if they are not then thats fine too. We can enjoy our dinner as fast or slow as we want...