Let Holland America select my room option

TonyC1952

Hi,

Going on a Holland America cruise in a month, and chose the room option of "let Holland America select our room". My understanding is that when I check in, that Holland America will assign me a room at that time. My question is, is it better to wait (assuming the low priced rooms sell out) and get an upgrade, or to check in now and have a room assigned now? Wondering how this has worked out for others that have chosen the same option. Thanks!

Hi,

Going on a Holland America cruise in a month, and chose the room option of "let Holland America select our room". My understanding is that when I check in, that Holland America will assign me a room at that time. My question is, is it better to wait (assuming the low priced rooms sell out) and get an upgrade, or to check in now and have a room assigned now? Wondering how this has worked out for others that have chosen the same option. Thanks!

You may also want to post this on the dedicated HAL forum here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

Better chance for people with direct experience to see your question there.

Hi,

Of all the lines I've sailed that allow the guarantee rates, HAL take the longest to assign a room. It's very possible you'll find out at check-in but likely, you'll see the room assigned in the week prior to cruising.

My only advice...don't choose this option unless you'd be happy in the worst room that option has to offer. You're more likely to be put in an unwanted room than to get an upgrade.

I don't believe that doing your online checkin has anything to do with when HAL assigns your room. I do mine as soon as I can, and then keeps checking my personalizer to see if a room has been assigned. EM

I don't believe that doing your online checkin has anything to do with when HAL assigns your room. I do mine as soon as I can, and then keeps checking my personalizer to see if a room has been assigned. EM

Agree. HAL assigns guarantee cabins starting about 30 days out (our last 2 suite guarantees have come at 28 days prior), and can assign at the pier.

Thanks for the replies! It's only about 30 days before we sail, so we'll just have to see what Holland America does! It's our first time with an inside cabin, we'll get to compare it to the balcony room we had on our first cruise.

Tony,

What ship are you sailing? I've booked several guarantees on HAL, and the worst cabin I got was a tuna fish can on the Noordam. It was tiny and poorly arranged, and that cruise was the only time I had a bout of claustrophobia in an inside cabin. Good luck!

Roz

Tony,

You should be OK (fingers crossed!). The older ship like Veendam have larger cabins overall. Several times I've booked an inside guarantee and been upgraded to an obstructed view outside or just plain outside cabin. But if you do get an inside, it won't be the shoebox I was wedged into on the Noordam. How 2 peopled stand each other for a week or more in a 125 sq. ft. space is beyond me. Thank God I was by myself.

Roz

We are not fussy at all about our cabin. If you are you should just book a specific cabin. We have always been very very fortunate on HAL and ALWAYS have been upgraded and occasionally, significantly. A couple of times we got our cabin assignment a couple of weeks before sailing and got upgraded even again at check-in.

We have also never received a guaranteed cabin assignment when we checked in online. Seven to 10 days is the norm for us.

I assume that you are on the Aug 27th sailing. There are still cabins available in all categories for that sailing. I would expect that you may receive an offer to upsell. But, you can never tell what will happen.

Thanks CBR663. I haven't yet received any upsell offers, but did get several before my last cruise, and may consider them. Initially they seemed pretty expensive, and we're going for the low cost alternative on this voyage. I did notice (as did you) that all cabin types are still open on the Aug 27th sailing, so I'm hoping for a nice surprise!

I received an upsell offer this week for our upcoming HAL cruise on the Amsterdam. It's in three weeks. The offer was to move from an inside to an obstructed view for $49 per passenger or to an unobstructed oceanview for $99 per person. If not enough people take the upsell offer, HAL will eventually assign some of the people in inside guarantees to the available cabins. Right now, inside cabins are sold out on our cruise. There are still some outside cabins available.