Walkie talkies on Breeze

bradboy

What's your opinions/experiences w/ walkie talkies on ships? Never taken one and I have heard that you hear lots of other conversations, not a biggie for us ~ just trying to keep up w/ a 10 yr old

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What's your opinions/experiences w/ walkie talkies on ships? Never taken one and I have heard that you hear lots of other conversations, not a biggie for us ~ just trying to keep up w/ a 10 yr old

The best part is joining into others' conversations.

We've used walkie talkies on many ships and the Breeze to be specific was one of them. Yes, you do pick up other conversations, there are only so many channels....but we look for a lesser used channel. They are very handy if travelling with a large group (and kids for sure). As to annoying other pax, we have NEVER had an issue and we don't keep them on in "quiet" places, such as shows etc. Mostly used if sitting on lido and others are just roaming around the ship. They are are great idea/investment. BTW, we use them in ports too....if you get a good set they can go a fair distance.....JMHO!

Will your 10 year old really want to lug a walkie-talkie around? I wouldn't give a 10 year old free run of the ship. I would allow them to come and go to SPECIFIC places for specific reasons....otherwise, they are with me, or in the club...period.

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking of them for him when we go to steak house and he's in camp

Do what is convenient for you and makes you feel comfortable when your son is separated from you. Don't worry too much, if at all, if it affects others. What are you concerned more about: the safety and well being of your son or other cruisers hearing a little noise?

The Steakhouse is not the place for the squealing, squawk of walkie talkies.

If there is an emergency or a situation that requires immediate attention, the Steakhouse is most definitely the place for the "squealing, squawk of walkie talkies." Regardless of the "marks" of volume.

If there is an emergency or a situation that requires immediate attention, the Steakhouse is most definitely the place for the "squealing, squawk of walkie talkies." Regardless of the "marks" of volume.

That's why they have phones. The crew who would be notifying you would not be using any walkie talkie. Since others will hear both sides of your conversation as you shout into the walkie s, some guests will feel free to join in .

That's why they have phones. The crew who would be notifying you would not be using any walkie talkie. Since others will hear both sides of your conversation as you shout into the walkie s, some guests will feel free to join in .

Why would other guests join in? Are they not as "uberly" respectful as you think everyone is?

I agree. If it is that big an "emergency", the staff at AO will be in touch with you immediately. i would not like to hear someone with a blaring , squeaking walkie-talkie either. Another thing to consider is that walkie-talkies sometimes do not work very well in all areas of the ship. Your child will be in good hands for the couple of hours it will take to have dinner in the specialty rest.. :) Oooops! sorry for the AO reference. Thought I was on the RCCL board. However, I am sure the staff at the Carnival kids program would also be very prompt in letting you know of any emergency.

Edited by Rala

2 way radios are a great idea. We use them from time to time, and if you purchase a good set you can find an obscure channel that is not used by anyone else. As for the comments about them being annoying to other guest...it can get annoying when people are yelling into the radio. To keep from doing that just use an ear piece that goes in one ear when going back and forth in conversation.

i have read this thread and other similar ones about walkie talkies and have a good laugh at these cruisers suggesting it is disruptive, etc. have you been on a carnival cruise? If walkie talkies squawk bothers you I am sure you are taking the wrong cruise. Maybe you should try princess cruise for your solitude. First of all carnival is basically for two categories of cruisers. Family's and party'ers. Both of those groups are typically not there to listen to flute music.

You are spending your hard earned money to have a great trip with your kids or friends or families. Do what makes you most comfortable to enjoy yourself. If you feel comfortable having a walkie talkie take them and use them.

If this is something some of these people get innoyed about they are the ones who should take some recommendation. They should come to terms with what ship they are going on like any trip. If you want quiet take a quiet cruise. If you want to read your kobo in silence then stay in your room. Haha. These so called experts on what is acceptable and not ... Diregard them. Do what makes you happy. It's your trip you paid for it.

Many walkie talkies have settings for private talking that won’t be a party line with many people talking at once. Usually he ones with a longer range are best to use on the ship.

They are no different than people talking on their cell phones or those who tend to talk rather load in normal conversations.