Hong Kong Restaurant to view Light show?

Martin and Lindsey

Personally, I do not think I would want to be inside a building while watching the light show. When I was there, and it has been a few years ago, the show was timed to music. I believe the music was being broadcast over some speakers on the Kowloon side and on radio. (I did not know this at the time; I was watching from the fantail of the Amsterdam and could have gotten off if I had known this.)

The Intercontinental Hotel has a lounge/bar that overlooks the harbor where the show takes place. May have a restaurant at that same location, I do not know.

I would agree with rkacruiser in that you would be unlikely to get the full effect of the light show from inside a restaurant. We saw it last year from the Kowloon waterfront and the synchronised music is broadcast over loud speakers. Also the light show takes place across a broad stretch of the Hong Kong Island waterfront and you would not be able to take in the full vista from a restaurant window.

Edited by Omega1

As per the two previous posts, without the synchronised music the laser show is a pretty poor jumble of flashing lights.

The area they mention where it's broadcast over speakers is the "Avenue of Stars" - on the mainland waterfront close to the Tsim Sha Tsui terminal of the cross-harbour Star Ferry, very easy to find. Possibly other public waterfront areas too on either side of the harbour. Or if you have a good harbour-view hotel room, ask reception about the radio station which broadcasts the music & watch it from your room.

8pm every evening.

JB :)

As John Bull pointed out, the best place to view the show is "Avenue of the Stars" right next to the Star ferry and behind the cultural center. Intercontinental would be a good place for the view if you want to be inside. We did a cheaper version at the YWCA (right next to Penisular) buffet restaurant a few years back and watched the show from there. Make sure you book a table by the window for the approriate time, if they are still there.

The Avenue of the Stars section of the waterfront promenade is (has been since last Nov.) closed thru 2018 for repairs, upgrades & improvements - the area around the IC toward the east would not be accessible nor good for viewing the laser show, weather permitting. http://www.discoverhongkong.com/us/see-do/highlight-attractions/themed-attractions/avenue-of-stars.jsp

Some of the best points are directly behind the HK Musuem of Art and HK Space Musuem, and the HK Cultural Centre (great musicals & shows, BTW - for those staying longer & if timing is a good match) - there's the elevated section or upper level above the promenade, which is just east of the Kowloon Pier, adjacent to the Star Ferry & the historic Kowloon Railway Clock Tower - and, the bus terminal. Coming from the MTR, head toward the "Pen" & YMCA, crossing Salisbury Road to reach the waterfront - it's easy walking.

The Ocean Terminal where cruise ships have been docking for the last 45+ years has some views blocked directly in front by the Star Ferry, although the laser lights are pointing skyward and the viewing area is somewhat limited.

If you timed it correctly, you can also take the Star Ferry crossing the harbor and watch it on the ferry (upper - enclosed deck is better, only slightly more in fares vs. lower deck, but dirt cheap by U.S. standards) - and you can always ride the ferry to the same side by exiting & paying the return fare, do it quick & walk fast to catch the same ferry back. Or, continue your adventure on the other side (island/peninsula)

P.S. Bookmark the linked site above, it is the official H.K. Tourism website run by HKSAR government - excellent resources & starting point, save the link to your smartphone & tablet - and you can browse it for latest. Many popular spots in HK including the MTR underground trains have free WiFi while you are on the move, including the Airport Express trains and the dedicated A21, etc. airbus buses on different routes with limited stops (and, racks for "smaller" luggages & backpackers)

The Avenue of the Stars section of the waterfront promenade is (has been since last Nov.) closed thru 2018 for repairs, upgrades & improvements - the area around the IC toward the east would not be accessible nor good for viewing the laser show, weather permitting. http://www.discoverhongkong.com/us/see-do/highlight-attractions/themed-attractions/avenue-of-stars.jsp

Some of the best points are directly behind the HK Musuem of Art and HK Space Musuem, and the HK Cultural Centre (great musicals & shows, BTW - for those staying longer & if timing is a good match) - there's the elevated section or upper level above the promenade, which is just east of the Kowloon Pier, adjacent to the Star Ferry & the historic Kowloon Railway Clock Tower - and, the bus terminal. Coming from the MTR, head toward the "Pen" & YMCA, crossing Salisbury Road to reach the waterfront - it's easy walking.

Thanks for the update.

Just for the benefit of those figuring the geography, the Avenue of Stars, HK Space Museum, the Kowloon Star Ferry terminal & bus terminal, & the YMCA (better-known to tourists as the Salisbury Hotel) are all closely-grouped.

Find one, and you've found them all. :)

Do you know if/where the music is still broadcast over speakers while the Ave of Stars is closed?

First time we watched was from the deck of a ship at the old cruise terminal, the ship didn't broadcast the music and it was a disappointing dis-connected jumble of lights & lasers. :(

Second time was from our harbour-view room at the Salisbury, accompanied by the linked music on our room's radio. Brought it to life, a totally different experience. :)

JB :)

The sound/music & live narration (different language/dialects on different nights) should continued to be broadcasted live over the outdoor PA system in place - or, tune to one of the 3 FM radio stations (I know, nowadays - folks don't walk around with a Walkman/radio ... there's an App for it, iOS and Androids) nightly just before 8 PM local time to get ready.http://www.discoverhongkong.com/us/see-do/highlight-attractions/harbour-view/a-symphony-of-lights.jsp

For a preview, click on this YT link - it is one of the many HD ones with music, cast to a nice, big screen HDTV, turn on that (Bose) surround sound system and/or nice set of headphones, sit back & enjoy - you can almost feel it virtually being there for the show. Oh, Hong Kong ... Hong Kong, I missed it now.

Good old Wan Chai at the "Square" - reclaimed landfills on the waterfront is also a popular spot to watch the laser show, joining elbows with a "generous" dose of mainland tourists.

Edited by mking8288

• 7 months later...

I have to revise my comment on Intercontinental. We were staying at the hotel and sat at the Lobby Lounge there during the light show one night and it was absolutely nothing because they did not have the synchronized music to go with it. We were not even sure if it started or over with. So, go out to the promenade and watch it from there. It makes a difference with or without the background music. That was what we did on the second night.

• 2 weeks later...
Can you see the light show from the cruise ship? We are on the Celebrity Millennium overnight (Feb. 11) and I just wondered if you can see the light show from where we are docked?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No. The cruise terminal is "across" town.

It used to be the HK airport and understandably away from city center.

Edited by Philob

No. The cruise terminal is "across" town.

It used to be the HK airport and understandably away from city center.

Thank you for your response. I have booked a full 8 hour tour of the city on Viator (prior to the cruise) which includes a dinner cruise during the Symphony of Lights. Since our ship doesn't leave until 8:00 PM on the second day, I was wondering if we would have seen it from the ship.

Can you tell me if there is only one cruise port? Kai Tak? I have seen another one mentioned...the Ocean Terminal. I need to find out before I arrange my transfer from my hotel to the cruise port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for your response. I have booked a full 8 hour tour of the city on Viator (prior to the cruise) which includes a dinner cruise during the Symphony of Lights. Since our ship doesn't leave until 8:00 PM on the second day, I was wondering if we would have seen it from the ship.

Can you tell me if there is only one cruise port? Kai Tak? I have seen another one mentioned...the Ocean Terminal. I need to find out before I arrange my transfer from my hotel to the cruise port.

Ocean Terminal is located in the middle of almost everything. It's stil used as a cruise terminal, but your ship will be at Kai Tak according to the terminal schedule.

Ocean Terminal is located in the middle of almost everything. It's stil used as a cruise terminal, but your ship will be at Kai Tak according to the terminal schedule.

How did you find out which cruise terminal we are using? Does the Celebrity Millennium always use Kai Tak?