Eastern Caribbean: Princess excursions vs independents?

ponstad

We will be sailing on the Regal Princess this November, heading towards Amber Cove, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. We are researching some of the excursions in each of those ports, both those offered by Princess and those offered by independent tour operators. Our interest is in several of the snorkeling options. Just wondering if any of you have taken the Princess snorkeling tours in those ports: how would you rate them? Would you book them again, or would you lean toward the trips offered by independent providers?

Thanks for your feedback.

Phyllis

We will be sailing on the Regal Princess this November, heading towards Amber Cove, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. We are researching some of the excursions in each of those ports, both those offered by Princess and those offered by independent tour operators. Our interest is in several of the snorkeling options. Just wondering if any of you have taken the Princess snorkeling tours in those ports: how would you rate them? Would you book them again, or would you lean toward the trips offered by independent providers?

Thanks for your feedback.

Phyllis

This guy is the best in St Thomas...

http://www.sunnylistontours.com/

Look into the B.O.S.S excursion which includes some snorkling. A totally uniue experience. Have done it twice and may do it again someday.

I tell all my friends about the B.O.S.S. I loved it. If you like snorkeling you must try it.

Tony

I've been to both St Thomas and St Maarten several times and have done a Princess excursion once.

St Thomas - The Cat snorkeling tour. It was fun - snorkeling was good and there were plenty of pain killers after snorkeling. But there were a lot of people on board - we even went to another Princess ship to pick up more people.

I have not compared this tour to others on the same island, but I have done similar independent tours on other islands...in my experience, the independent tours are the same price or less and have far fewer people on board.

Princess snorkeling tours are always very crowded. For me that is a definite not to do. The private snorkeling tours and there are many for St Thomas and Maarten but not sure about the DR are generally the same price or cheaper and way less crowded. Snorkeling with someone 2 feet from you is not my idea of snorkeling or having fun. Go with the private tour.

Slightly off topic since this wasn't a snorkeling excursion but one of the best excursions we've ever done - cruise line or private - was the America's Cup Yacht Race in Saint Marten. I think it is only available through Princess.

In St. Thomas it is very easy to snorkel on your own. At the pier take a safari taxi to Sapphire beach for 11.00 ea. You can rent snorkel, fins and chairs for around 10.00 total. Plenty of fish to see and I saw a stingray and turtles in the seagrass. Tropical fish was over the reef. There is a restroom and a beach hut for food and drinks.

Edited by caribsun

DH and I did a Princess Tour to St John's- It was a Champagne Catamaran snorkel trip. It was one of the nicest snorkel trips I have done. there were 20 of us on board. GREAT area in St John's- secluded beach area. Afterwards they had bread and cheese and a wide variety of drinks- including a very potent rum punch. That was also very reasonable. We had wanted to see St John's and just didn't want to worry about the traffic at St Thomas- I seem to recall MANY ships in port.

The 'only' problem with the taxi's in St Thomas... it is generally $10 Per person- ONE WAY... So.. a couple going to the beach is $20... coming back from the beach is $20... total $40.... happened to my Brother-in-law and friends... 5 of them piled into the taxi... $50 one way... $50 back...

St Martin easy to do on your own.... Lots of nice snorkeling sites... we did the Lord Sheffield... I don't think they are in business anymore:( that was an excellent tour- only 7 of us on board.

Have fun!!!

Slightly off topic since this wasn't a snorkeling excursion but one of the best excursions we've ever done - cruise line or private - was the America's Cup Yacht Race in Saint Marten. I think it is only available through Princess.

Agree. A great excursion.