Classy Clothing for Plus Size Women?

SeaBrz

Looking for store/online suggestions to purchase HIGHER END clothing for Plus Size Women. I respect and shop at stores like Lane Bryant, Woman Within, Roaman's, etc, but I would love to find other options for those times that price was not a factor.

Thanks in advance ...

Back when I was obese, I had a couple occasions when I had to buy quality clothes for evening events. I found some at Bloomingdales. Some designers do the same lines, but for obese women. I've seen Ralph Lauren, Elieen Fisher, Michael Kors, LaFayette 148, Vince Camuto… Start looking at the better department stores and go from there. If it is something "formal" or MOD-ish, try the bridal shops.

Check Nordstrom's and Dillards. When I wore plus-size clothing, they were the best bets for good quality clothing and special occasion clothing. Macy's has some also, but bnot in every store. You may have to go on line for Macy's Plus sizes.

Also Talbot's and Chico's. Chico's size 3 and up(their sizing is different than any other store) are considered plus size. They carry three and up in every store. Talbot's often does not carry anything over XL in their stores, bit you can find larger sizes on line. If you order the item in the store, you will not be charged shipping.

Back when I was obese, I had a couple occasions when I had to buy quality clothes for evening events. I found some at Bloomingdales. Some designers do the same lines, but for obese women. I've seen Ralph Lauren, Elieen Fisher, Michael Kors, LaFayette 148, Vince Camuto… Start looking at the better department stores and go from there. If it is something "formal" or MOD-ish, try the bridal shops.

Obese?? wow.

Obese?? wow.

Anything of a BMI over 30, or woman's size 14 (depending on how tall you are) is obese. Yes, I am there too.

Talbot has a really nice selection of plus size clothes if you are looking for classic looks. Lands End has fun summer dresses and bathing suits.

Edited by MommaBear55

I appreciate all the great info everyone! I am 5'8" and was never larger than a sz 12 until a combination of quit smoking and menopause hit 5 years ago. So frustrating.

Anyway, I am definitely going to check out the websites and stores you have recommended. I live in a FL oceanfront community and have worked from home full-time for the past 10 years, so my closet is stuffed with capris, cotton tops, and a dozens of flip-flops. All ideal for daytime cruise wear, but I want some dressy stuff now.

Again, thanks for the responses. This is such a great community.

It's a clinical term. If it's accurate, why be offended?

I love Eileen Fisher and Marina Rinaldi has some gorgeous things too.

not offended. I know its a clinical term, however, not a common word. Not offended, however, some might will be.

Nordstrom, Lord & Taylor, Talbot's Woman, even Coldwater Creek are my usual go-to shops. Never pay regular retail either. I have occasional good luck at Macy's and TJ Maxx. I am very fortunate to have the only Eileen Fisher Outlet nearby in Burlington, MA - such deals!

It's a clinical term. If it's accurate, why be offended?

I love Eileen Fisher and Marina Rinaldi has some gorgeous things too.

Yes, obese. I don't sugar-coat it when it comes to my old weight issue. I wasn't overweight, I was obese. I wasn't fluffy, I was obese. I don't know what the big issue is. If you want, I can say "when I was fat" because I was that, too. I'm not referring to anyone but myself. I do not understand why someone would be offended for my truthfulness.

Kind of cruise-related: My favorite dress I bought from Bloomies was a long, black velvet tank dress with a matching velvet jacket. Bought it to wear to a Titanic dinner. The chef totally recreated the last dinner menu and we all dressed up…

Edited by slidergirl

I always had great luck finding gowns at Dillards, SaksOffFifth, and Nordstrom Rack, all online. My favorite designer for plus size gowns is Adrianna Papell. Her gowns run long, and at 5'11" that was a huge plus for me. Just an fyi, Lane Bryant online sells Adrianna Papell and other designer gowns in the dresses section.

Lisa

Yes, obese. I don't sugar-coat it when it comes to my old weight issue. I wasn't overweight, I was obese. I wasn't fluffy, I was obese. I don't know what the big issue is. If you want, I can say "when I was fat" because I was that, too. I'm not referring to anyone but myself. I do not understand why someone would be offended for my truthfulness.

I love how you worded this. I am a fat girl :p I will say that about my self. I think some just find the word obese :confused:almost as bad as a cruse word lol. I don't think that some realized that you were talking only about you and not anyone else.

As for plus sized clothing... I love Lane bryant, Woman within has some nice dresses for cruises. I love the shorts from Old Navy plus. Avenue is also a good one. I have been looking at asos plus and thinking about ordering a few things from there as well. Good luck and let us know what ya find.

OP didn't actually say she was looking for formal night clothing, just higher end plus size.

The April 2016 Glamour has a nice article on plus size clothing and how FINALLY designers and the markets are starting to respond with variety and quality. Listed some newish brands to look at. Lane Bryant was mentioned as having several designer collaborations under way. I'm sure it won't be designer quality but it might be interesting and different styles. Melissa McCarthy has a clothing brand (I've seen it online at Nordstrom, not sure who else sells it). I'm trying to find the Glamour article online but haven't yet.

Ooh - here it is http://www.glamour.com/story/plus-size-fashion-spring-shopping

Other brands the mention: Eloquii, PLY, Ashley Graham line at DressBarn (she's the size 16 Sports Illustrated swimwear cover girl), Rachel Roy just expanded her sizes this year,

For on-trend collections, also look to: Simply Be and Carmakoma for cool, of-the-moment pieces; Eloquii for fast, trendy styles—now up to size 28; lines like Elvi, Persona, and Marina Rinaldi for elevated workwear; emerging American brands including Mei Smith and Universal Standard for chic, refined basics; celeb-helmed brands for personal style. In addition to McCarthy, singer-song-writer Beth Ditto has launched her own collection, and actress Rebel Wilson has an ongoing collaboration with Torrid; sharewear service Gwynnie Bee (think of it as a plus-size Rent the Runway), which lets you lease the latest trends.

Other straight-size brands also make plus sizes, but those 12-and-up garments can be tricky to find. So know this: Burberry, Max Mara, Oscar de la Renta, and Rosie Assoulin, among others, produce select pieces in sizes up to 16. Find them on their sites or Moda Operandi and Saks.com. Banana Republic, J.Crew, and Kate Spade also offer sizes up to 16 online. Akris, Loft, Gap, and Lafayette 148 New York go up to 18 online. Ralph Lauren's Lauren Woman, Michael Michael Kors, Asos, Forever 21, Mango, New Look, Old Navy, and River Island carry full plus-size lines from 1X to 4X and 14 to 30 on their websites. Chanel carries off-the-rack pieces in sizes up to 20; the same goes for Prada, though by special order only. On consignment sites like The RealReal, you can often land designer pieces in sizes as large as 20.

And if you're between sizes 12 and 16, Graham suggests trying on whichever straight-size brands you love. "Sometimes plus-size girls are afraid to try on clothes in high-end stores because they think they won't fit and they'll get judge-y looks," she says. "But who cares what the store clerks think? The trick is to know which cuts will work for your body. I carry my weight in my low stomach, and I'm thinner up top, so shorter tops and fit-and-flare dresses work for me. My favorite new brand is A.L.C." It's also worth noting that many designer pieces have up to two inches in the seam, which a tailor can let out.

I forgot to mention Jjill as a spot to find "xX" size clothing. they have "numbered" sizes up to 20. And, their regular "XL" covers 18-20. Well-made, long lasting, classic pieces there. "back in the day", I lived in Jjill. Their tops still fit me (thank to my always ample bust), but my lower body no longer has the hips to fill out even their M and size 10 pants. I don't have the curves to fill it out...

Also, if you are a certain body type of plus-size, Athleta still has some pieces that they make in 1X and 2X. But, you have to be a "toned" X size and I wouldn't recommend them for just anyone overweight.

The OP asked about plus-size clothing. But not all obese people are plus-sized, and not all plus-sized people are obese.

Edited by hrhdhd

The OP asked about plus-size clothing. But not all obese people are plus-sized, and not all plus-sized people are obese.

And, I said when I was obese, I wore plus-size clothing. My doctor told me I was obese, so I'll take his word for it...

Just chiming in to second the mention of Dillard's if there is one near you. I usually shop QVC (no up charge for plus size) or Kohl's (always a sale and coupon), but for good clothes - business suits, Sunday best, formal wear - Dillard's has an amazing plus size selection.

Vicki

When I was working I used to enjoy items from the Flax line of clothes. They were made of linen and I would find them at boutique type shops. They had great styles, good sizing and were cool for living in hot Arizona.

Now I have been finding casual stuff on Full Beauty. I also have found some great items on MIB. Making It Big. They have some fun stuff and I used to watch for sales. Very generous sizing.

Have fun and happy shopping

4boysnana

• 2 weeks later...

check out kiyonna.com.. beautiful dresses and you can return them. Lane Bryant does sell some of their stuff online, but I prefer buying directly bc sometimes they offer coupons and you can not use the lane bryant coupons on the kiyonna stuff. I also order from Nordstrom and Lands End

I fluctuate between a 14 and a 16 so I shop at regular and plus sizes stores. I like Nordstom and Dillard's selections. Chico's too and WHBM also carries some things I can wear. Someone told me forever 21 carries plus size clothing but I tend to like better quality clothing. I also avoid Old Navy but they do have plus sizes there too.

Check out Ralph Lauren and Michael Kors at macys.com. I have probably 5 dresses from each and love them all! They are super flattering and comfortable at the same time. One point of note is that macys ships for free if your order is over $99 and you can then make returns in store so you don't have to worry about return shipping. Once or twice a season I make a big order and try on everything in the comfort of my home with my own lighting/shoes/shapewear and feel much more confident that way.

I have this dress and can dress it up with some heels but can also throw on a pair of Keds and wear it out for a day of sightseeing.

Lauren Ralph Lauren Plus Size Striped Cotton Dress

Michael Kors puts out this dress several times of year with a different print or color. I have cool geometric print that I love. Again it is very versatile as I can wear it with casual black sandals for an easy day look or put on a big stack of gold bracelets and dramatic eye makeup with high heels for a night out. I have also worn this with black tights and boots on a cool fall day in New York.

MICHAEL Michael Kors Plus Size Roll-Tab-Sleeve Chain Lace-Up Dress

Neither of these are what I consider high end designers but if you do get into some of the high end designers you will get more and more vanity sizing so don't be afraid to venture into the regular department and try on the largest regular size if you are in the 14/16/18 category you may just be surprised that the 12 fits!