Classy Clothing for Plus Size Women?

SeaBrz

I have had some success with Dress Barn. They have quite a selection of casual, career and cocktail dresses.

Good luck with your search.

Sorry I have to disagree with Dress Barn. The clothes are of a significantly more inferior quality that of a southeast Asian mass market distributor. If your only desire is disposable clothes then go for DB.

Sorry I have to disagree with Dress Barn. The clothes are of a significantly more inferior quality that of a southeast Asian mass market distributor. If your only desire is disposable clothes then go for DB.

And I respectfully disagree with your assessment. I have bought several items that have held up well. They have included linings when needed, nice styles and colors. jmo

Chico's has more sizes on line than what the stores carry. I shop with

them quite often and find their items are of good quality, *just my

opinion......they carry waaaayyy more than in the old days of

only "Chico's Travelers"....;)...many styles and variety of materials too.

I also agree with the Dillard's suggestion. They have a lot of choices in

both Misses and Women's Dept.

Lane Bryant has some really pretty dresses right now - I know because I just bought a lovely pink dress there a few days ago. Catharines also has some dressy dresses, but I find it is hit and miss whether I like them. Burlington Coat Factory, Winners (a Canadian store), and Macy's also have nice plus-size dressy clothing. In Canada, Pennington's carries the Melissa McCarthy brand, but I'm not sure where it is in the USA.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorite designers is Skullz London. check out her website, she designs lovely clothing for "fluffy" ladies. I used to be fluffy,, but was sick and lost 65 lbs, now I am boney..

Really lovely fabrics and designs. Just thought I would throw that out there. Google her, the website will come up..

• 2 weeks later...

I have found amazing clothes on ebay. Just put in the brand and size, and go shopping! I prefer Maggie Barnes from Catherines for good quality tops, but my best find was a Ulla Popken 3-piece chiffon pantsuit for $35.

Another outfit was a from Misty Lane, and I've found a few Alex Evenings, too.

First time cruiser (in January of 2017), but looooong time plus size shopper :) I know you posted this in April, but for future needs... If you haven't run across them, I highly recommend Igigi for higher end formal wear! Their website is Igigi.com.

• 2 weeks later...
And I respectfully disagree with your assessment. I have bought several items that have held up well. They have included linings when needed, nice styles and colors. jmo

I agree that Dress Barn is my go to store. Some variety of clothing that a mature plus -size woman can feel "nicely dressed" in. So many plus size now are for women who are much younger than I am. I want sleeves! I want a hem-line that is below the knee (I have to wear support stockings for vascular failure and clots --not optional. With a slightly longer and wider skirt I can still do a dress. They have several patterns that repeat with the seasons and have the colors and the materials that are in style (glitter bombs sparkle).

Is the clothing haute coutre? No. Perhaps a fashionista would not be caught dead in a Dress Barn outfit. But for me an average lady who likes to have something new every few weeks (perky red polka dots yesterday) their clothes work well for me and my life-style of church, friends, travel around the world, volunteer work and occasional cultural activities. Some of my favorites have lasted 10 years and still wearing them. Don't look down on us. Most folks probably can't tell black pants from more expensive black pants. I want them to cover me totally (no plumber cracks :eek:), have pockets, and be able to survive 5 weeks of being washed in the ship's laundry or the sink. If I can do that at a thrifty price. I am happy. What I pay for my clothes does not define me -- I could certainly pay more but I don't see the reason -- unless I like something and want it. More money for shoes for the feet that hurt unless in the finest widest mary janes available. Do I like them NO do they work with orthodics yes. I think lots of folks think a brand name means the clothes are sooo much better. Some are some are not. Probably made in the same factories in low wage countries as the cheaper stuff. I have seen many a market in Asia where you could have the name of your choice placed on the garment of your choice if that is your thing. :eek: Spend all you want. I go with clean and neat. About what I can consistently accomplish.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a fairly new online and catalog store that sells both Misses and Plus sizes as well as shoes and accessories. I have ordered 2 tops from them in the past and one was way too big while the second just didn't fit me correctly, MonroeandMain.com. Read any reviews before ordering. They also cater to a wide range of tastes from work to boho chic and a bit of ethnic too.

I get a lot of stuff from JC Penney, Lord and Taylor, Lane Bryant, Simply Be and Nordstrom. Both Lane Bryant and JC Penney for the moment have been much more daring with the use of color for larger gals which really makes me happy. I love black and white, especially on a cruise because it's much easier to pack, however in my everyday life I tend to wear colorful and they fit the bill. I also love when I'm in Florida shopping at Bealls. I would have clothing sent from them, but I get down there enough that I usually just save some room in my bag. Ebay has been a wonderful source for me as well! I'm more a boho chic myself and usually can find what I need most anywhere that caters to plus.

I agree that Dress Barn is my go to store. Some variety of clothing that a mature plus -size woman can feel "nicely dressed" in. So many plus size now are for women who are much younger than I am. I want sleeves! I want a hem-line that is below the knee (I have to wear support stockings for vascular failure and clots --not optional. With a slightly longer and wider skirt I can still do a dress. They have several patterns that repeat with the seasons and have the colors and the materials that are in style (glitter bombs sparkle).

Is the clothing haute coutre? No. Perhaps a fashionista would not be caught dead in a Dress Barn outfit. But for me an average lady who likes to have something new every few weeks (perky red polka dots yesterday) their clothes work well for me and my life-style of church, friends, travel around the world, volunteer work and occasional cultural activities. Some of my favorites have lasted 10 years and still wearing them. Don't look down on us. Most folks probably can't tell black pants from more expensive black pants. I want them to cover me totally (no plumber cracks :eek:), have pockets, and be able to survive 5 weeks of being washed in the ship's laundry or the sink. If I can do that at a thrifty price. I am happy. What I pay for my clothes does not define me -- I could certainly pay more but I don't see the reason -- unless I like something and want it. More money for shoes for the feet that hurt unless in the finest widest mary janes available. Do I like them NO do they work with orthodics yes. I think lots of folks think a brand name means the clothes are sooo much better. Some are some are not. Probably made in the same factories in low wage countries as the cheaper stuff. I have seen many a market in Asia where you could have the name of your choice placed on the garment of your choice if that is your thing. :eek: Spend all you want. I go with clean and neat. About what I can consistently accomplish.

The OP was originally asking for HIGHER END clothing for times when price wasn't an issue. That is why all those other brands/places were mentioned. That was why Dress Barn was not included.

For everyday, or "throwaway" clothes, Dress Barn is fine. I shop at the "other" side of Dress Barn (not the plus-side) to augment my work clothes. I don't mind paying $38 for a pair of black pants to go with my suit jacket; I'll wash them once a week and, when they stretch out inside of 2 months, I'll buy another pair. I've bought some "under my suit jacket" shirts that I'll wash and toss after a couple of months and it starts to look ratty. Still cheaper than paying $38/week for dry-cleaning an entire suit! And, it's a cheap way to get a 2-pant suit - like someone said, no one can tell at a normal distance that the black pants do not totally match the black jacket.

Believe it or not, I sometimes buy clothing from Amazon.com. They have a huge selection that includes every color, size, and price point. I hate paying for shipping, so I just throw it in my cart until I can get enough to cover free shipping.

• 3 weeks later...
I appreciate all the great info everyone! I am 5'8" and was never larger than a sz 12 until a combination of quit smoking and menopause hit 5 years ago. So frustrating.

Anyway, I am definitely going to check out the websites and stores you have recommended. I live in a FL oceanfront community and have worked from home full-time for the past 10 years, so my closet is stuffed with capris, cotton tops, and a dozens of flip-flops. All ideal for daytime cruise wear, but I want some dressy stuff now.

Again, thanks for the responses. This is such a great community.

I feel your pain except I haven't started menopause and I've never smoked. I am 5'8" and a size 16 bottom but can make a size 14 dress work. I really like Adrianna Papell for "fancier" dresses. I think Nordstroms and Von Maur are a great place to look for clothes. P.s. For the poster who said a size 14 is obes,e according to my BMI I am only overweight.

ETA: I am slowly falling in love with Dress Barn. I recently moved from a major city of a population of a million to a small town of 50k. Culture shock for shopping. Dress Barn has been a lifesaver for me. Our Carson's is so small and is geared to the elderly population here in town.

Edited by RoadTripFanatic

The OP was originally asking for HIGHER END clothing for times when price wasn't an issue. That is why all those other brands/places were mentioned. That was why Dress Barn was not included.

For everyday, or "throwaway" clothes, Dress Barn is fine. I shop at the "other" side of Dress Barn (not the plus-side) to augment my work clothes. I don't mind paying $38 for a pair of black pants to go with my suit jacket; I'll wash them once a week and, when they stretch out inside of 2 months, I'll buy another pair. I've bought some "under my suit jacket" shirts that I'll wash and toss after a couple of months and it starts to look ratty. Still cheaper than paying $38/week for dry-cleaning an entire suit! And, it's a cheap way to get a 2-pant suit - like someone said, no one can tell at a normal distance that the black pants do not totally match the black jacket.

I have a completely different experience and opinion regarding Dress Barn. Some of the nicest items in my closet are from there. Some of them are several years old and going strong. Maybe you are harder on your clothes than me. For instance: I found this mint green chiffon tank top covered in bugle beads on their clearance rack. I wear it with a sheer black chiffon jacket and black crepe dress pants on my cruises, with silver sandals.

1448049899_greentank1.jpg.9665f9f0596479da9817c3fbfa658e82.jpg

I have a completely different experience and opinion regarding Dress Barn. Some of the nicest items in my closet are from there. Some of them are several years old and going strong. Maybe you are harder on your clothes than me. For instance: I found this mint green chiffon tank top covered in bugle beads on their clearance rack. I wear it with a sheer black chiffon jacket and black crepe dress pants on my cruises, with silver sandals.

Good on you for finding something. Maybe it's my Dress Barn that only offers clothes that I'd never want to wear anywhere but work. Same with TJ Maxx - I keep hearing of all this great stuff at great prices and the TJs a mile away seems to have nothing but junk.

I am hard on my work clothes - 3 suits, worn over 5 days/week 10-12/hours/day... Right now, it's scorching hot at the hotel and we're all sweating like pigs - got to wash/dry clean things all week long... I have a few more suits, but wearing black wool suits in the middle of summer does not appeal to me. If I were to find something there that I would only wear once or twice a year because I'm forced to "dress up" for a dinner, I could make that item last a long time, even past it's fashion prime. I've actually have a few pieces like that in my closet from Coldwater Creek and Soft Surroundings that I really should give to Goodwill ;-)

Edited by slidergirl

Good on you for finding something. Maybe it's my Dress Barn that only offers clothes that I'd never want to wear anywhere but work. Same with TJ Maxx - I keep hearing of all this great stuff at great prices and the TJs a mile away seems to have nothing but junk.

I am hard on my work clothes - 3 suits, worn over 5 days/week 10-12/hours/day... Right now, it's scorching hot at the hotel and we're all sweating like pigs - got to wash/dry clean things all week long... I have a few more suits, but wearing black wool suits in the middle of summer does not appeal to me. If I were to find something there that I would only wear once or twice a year because I'm forced to "dress up" for a dinner, I could make that item last a long time, even past it's fashion prime. I've actually have a few pieces like that in my closet from Coldwater Creek and Soft Surroundings that I really should give to Goodwill ;-)

Are you an attorney? Just curious...you need to wear a suit every day?

And a wool suit in the summer would not appeal to me either.

Guess I am lucky. I work 5 days a week too but in an office with a very

lax dress code. No blue jeans but just about anything else is ok.....;)

I try to look fairly decent every day and sometimes I go dressier than

others but never wear a suit (actually, I don't own a suit).

Are you an attorney? Just curious...you need to wear a suit every day?

Slidergirl has stated in the past that she has a fairly rigorous dress/maintenance code where she works. It's not just lawyers:p

As for wool, some wools do great in warm weather (tropical weights, for one ;)) Others do not. But there are days when ANYTHING is going to be too much. When I battle my spouse to turn the a/c a little cooler, I always say "I can't get more than naked" but he can always put lounge pants on:D

Slidergirl has stated in the past that she has a fairly rigorous dress/maintenance code where she works. It's not just lawyers:p

As for wool, some wools do great in warm weather (tropical weights, for one ;)) Others do not. But there are days when ANYTHING is going to be too much. When I battle my spouse to turn the a/c a little cooler, I always say "I can't get more than naked" but he can always put lounge pants on:D

Hi,:) I don't read all of everyone's postings so I have no idea what she

does for a living.....that is why I asked;)